Wasted Themepark Spaces?

Hi guys. I was on another forum and they where talking about wasted spaced that Disney has. I guess they mean like rides or shows. I was wondering what you think Disney should get rid of and make something better. For me I would have to say to please get rid of Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show! You can see it once and in my opinion you don’t need to see it again… what do you think?

Hmmm, good question.

In the Magic Kingdom I think they REALLY need to do something with those old skyway stations; there’s one in Tomorrowland AND in Fantasyland. Lots of wasted space there. Those buildings coule be used for something interesting; maybe one as a new sit down character restaurant and the other one an attraction.

EPCOT: Something needs to happen with the ‘Wonders of Life’ pavillion AND the brown Odyssey building. I know they are both used for some special events & private events but there HAS to be something more genuine they could do with both spaces.

Studios: Oh gosh! Replace the Indy show with something like the Indy attraction in Disneyland, completely update the backstage tour & use a lot of that backlot space as more guest areas, use the additional extra soundstages for other new attractions (like they did for TSM)

AK: Add another ‘land’. That’s it.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;952105]Hmmm, good question.

In the Magic Kingdom I think they REALLY need to do something with those old skyway stations; there’s one in Tomorrowland AND in Fantasyland. Lots of wasted space there. Those buildings coule be used for something interesting; maybe one as a new sit down character restaurant and the other one an attraction.

EPCOT: Something needs to happen with the ‘Wonders of Life’ pavillion AND the brown Odyssey building. I know they are both used for some special events & private events but there HAS to be something more genuine they could do with both spaces.

Studios: Oh gosh! Replace the Indy show with something like the Indy attraction in Disneyland, completely update the backstage tour & use a lot of that backlot space as more guest areas, use the additional extra soundstages for other new attractions (like they did for TSM)

AK: Add another ‘land’. That’s it.[/QUOTE]

Recently I got to go up in old Skyway station in Fantasyland. It had a spookiness to it. The paint on the inside is faded. The view from up there was really pretty. I wished I had the opportunity to ride it.

There is also a lot of space behind Pooh’s Playground where the subs used to be. I’d like to see something done with that space.

Over at Epcot there is enough space at the world showcase for at least 2 more pavillions. I’d love to see some new countries added.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;952105]Hmmm, good question.

AK: Add another ‘land’. That’s it.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. Seems it is easier to build something new on vacant land vs. tearing down existing structures.

I think the skyway stations seems like relatively small pieces of land, but they are in prime locations. I could see the Tomorrowland station being demolished when they eventually build a new mega-attraction that takes up the space of COP and the old theater space-turne-parkinglot. It will be a sad day for me when COP goes, but I think it may be time. Sigh…

I love COP no matter how dated it seems. I would hate to see it go. It was there the first time we went back in the 1980s.
I think Wonders of Life should be refurbished and opened. It was a great pavillion and the premise behind it is still valid. I know they need a sponsor for it; I felt very sad last October when we went into the pavillion during Food & Wine Festival. It’s a great space.
I agree about there being sufficient room to add countries, but the global economy is really bad. Of course, we didn’t see anyone coming in when the economy was good. I’d love to see Greece, Egypt, or a South American country.
Oh, well, we can wish!

I would love to see another country added! I could totally see walking though Egypt!

[QUOTE=M5ward;952114]I love COP no matter how dated it seems. I would hate to see it go. It was there the first time we went back in the 1980s.
I think Wonders of Life should be refurbished and opened. It was a great pavillion and the premise behind it is still valid. I know they need a sponsor for it; I felt very sad last October when we went into the pavillion during Food & Wine Festival. It’s a great space.
I agree about there being sufficient room to add countries, but the global economy is really bad. Of course, we didn’t see anyone coming in when the economy was good. I’d love to see Greece, Egypt, or a South American country.
Oh, well, we can wish![/QUOTE]

I couldn’t agree more! COP is one of my faves. It just makes me happy! And, I miss the Wonders of Life Pavilion. Cranium Command was SO cute! “Where do you think you are? Disney World?!” It could use an update just so the characters look current. But I agree that the idea behind the pavilion is still very current.

And how fun if they’d add another country or two! Greece would be great fun.

I think Epcot has the most “wasted” space. They don’t use the Wonders of Live Pavillion or the Odyssey building. But it’s kind of nice because it’s the easiest park to just find an empty, open place to chill.

But I like how the WDW parks are spread out. They have the land and they can take advantage of that. Sure it’s a little more walking, but everything is bigger and more magical (not to mention there’s more space to spread crowds out among).

I am not sure getting rid of any rides or shows that are still bringing in people is a wasted space. I think bringing back some of the old rides could be interesting. I rode the old skyway back in the 80’s and during fireworks it was the best. More pavillions or adding rides in the open areas in EPCOT would be great. One place that kinda seems wasted or maybe just not finished is in the :AK: Animal Kingdom, between Camp Minnie-Mickey to Africa. Seems to me there is a lot of space there. Maybe North America (with Bears) or one of the Oceans (with some of the sea life) could be a land there.:mickey:

Great suggestions… I just wish the DI instead of worrying about the money, think of new ideas. The way Disney makes money is through their ideas! I would love to see so many new rides and stuff… I would honestly love to see like kinda a boardwalk style in WDW! I love the Fun Wheel at DL and the games, it’s like an old time amusement park!

Wasted Space! HUMMMMMMMMMMM?!
MK: COP
AK: Finding Nemo the Musical I absoultley hate this show! Yawl are so going to hate me for saying that but I can’t stand it!
HS: Backlot Tour they could make more interesting!
EPCOT: I mostly like everything here, I do agree that they could add some more countries, though!

Don’t worry about “wasted space” guys. I assure you there are always plans for areas no longer in use. The Skyway building in Tomorrowland for example. The area is now being used to build the stage for the new Stitch show that will be debuting soon. Or course, Galaxy Palace is now gone and being transformed. Someone said Odyssey at Epcot isn’t used but in actuality it still is. The most it’s used for is conventions and for the Magical Gathering dinners.

I know I’m sure Disney has plans for all places but we are just making suggestions ;).

• Justy

What’s the scoop on the new Stitch show, Rowdy? I’m salivating!

I know…such a tease! More info! More info!

I see “open spaces”, but removing older rides HAS to be tough for Disney!

SO… what goes? I, for one, despise Space Mountain. :whistling:

We do Lights Motor Action every trip.

I did Carousel of Progress for the first time this January. Cool if you put it in the World’s Fair perspective - but otherwise a snooze. And it smelled like cigarette smoke (I think being pulled in from the nearby smoking area?) :blow:

There will always be some sort of attachment for the old rides. And look what happens - they remove the subs and everyone misses it. They build a new ride around the old subs, but it is too late at WDW.

The Treehouse can’t be a big attraction anymore - but I can’t see anything else being there.

I certainly don’t even the folks that have to suggestion closing a ride. :blink:

I’d guess Disney has much bigger plans if the money is available.

I was reading the 2009 Unofficial guide today, and it mentioned that plans were in the works for an Ariel-themed attraction in this spot, 4-5 years down the road.

I honestly can’t think of anything right off that I would consider wasted space. Even some attractions that aren’t always “must-dos” are not necessarily things I would want to see removed.

Maybe Stitch in Tomorrowland. With Stitch, Monsters Inc and Buzz all crowding the same place, it’s getting to feel like a place to put characters that don’t fit anywhere else. Buzz is great, but the other two feel a little like cop-outs to me. If anything, they’re fly-by-night attractions with no staying power. Tomorrowland really needs immersive, creative attractions that take you out of this world and into a land of the future. Or - like COP - attractions that celebrate the “futures” that have come and gone. I’ll admit that Stitch and Monsters both use unique technology that you could argue is “futuristic”, but they’re just not the type of attractions that leave you dreaming of a better tomorrow.

I dunno, forgive my rambling. :blush: Just MHO.

Dznygrl I totally agree with you! In my opinion Tomrorrowland should be about tomorrow and the future correct? I understand how they fit in but it should be more like that thing in EPCOT… The future! I totally understand. I’m sure Disney has many plans in the future! Disney is magical… they know what they want :wink:

I don’t think there is such a thing as “wasted space” in WDW…they have something for everyone there and what does not appeal to one person may be a family favorite for others. i really hate focusing on negative when there…