Wdw - aaa or rent dvc points - help!

Hi all,

So good to be back. It has been so hectic around our home, I have no time to jump on the puter.

Anyhoo, we are planning a family vacation for July 2011 (7 - 5 adults & 1 child). We normally go in May but DS is starting HS this year and he had a hard time getting back in the swing of things in 2009 when he returned to school, the girls (DSS’s wife and better half) are both teachers so the only option is going in July. We have never been in the summer and I am a nervous wreck between the heat, crowds and the DDP (which will not be free when we go:angry:)

I have gotten quotes from Disney Direct, AAA and I figured out prices to rent DVC points. I know going Direct you can make changes yourself with discounts or other things, with AAA you may wind up in an area of a resort not requested and any changes you want to make to your package you have to go through them. We have never rented DVC points and I am not sure how easy that can be, or not. The best prices for BC, BW and WL, along with SSR were if we rented DVC points. The next best price is AAA but I am a little nervous about that too. I do not want to be stuck in the back of a resort and if a discount comes out between now and July, I want it applied immediately. Going Direct I can make all my changes if and when I want. Please give me your thoughts on which way to go?

The other thing is we are going 10 days/9 nights. My one DSS and his wife can only go for 7 days/6 nights. I know we have to make a seperate reservation for them or we would just be waisting money with the DDP and the room, the tickets we can get no expire for the unused days. Has anyone done this and still wind up getting rooms next to one another?

I also got quotes for CBR and CSR. I would rather stay somewhere other than CBR, since we’ve stayed there several times, but the boys have not. And POR is out, which I want to stay, because the boys have always stayed there.

As you can see, I am all over the place, which is why I am coming to all of you:flowers:

We are having our “Family Vacation Pow Wow” in two weeks and I want to have everything together for everyone. My DH already told the kids that I will have loads of options, but I want to be sure I am not missing anything or doing something I might regret.

Thank you and I am so glad to be back on the boards again:biggrin:

Kim

My experience in renting points is that even with the buy 4 get 3 promotions it was as cheap or cheaper to rent points.

It is true that the DVC member has to make all arrangements and changes but most of the time it’s really not a big deal.

The main thing is that you have to remember that the cancellation policies are different because points have time frames that they can be used in and a late cancellation can result in the owner having to use them last minute or even loose them. If someone cancels just before the time they are to expire then the owner may not be able to rent or use the points. Yet the annual dues for the timeshare had to be paid so there is risk for the member who rents the points.

Just have to run the numbers and see if the difference if worth giving up a little control over the reservation.

Glad you could explain that Richard. I was trying to figure out the cost, but it seems to me a room at BC would win hands down vs POR or CBR. Of course I am just soooo spoiled staying there and being able to walk to two resorts. I’m not sure if Boss Mouse still has points to rent out. He might be able to help you.

If you are going to have a whole gang, I would def. do a DVC rental. Having the 2 BR AND the kitchen, living room AND washer/dryer will make your stay more relaxing. The W/D in the unit means we only pack 3-5 outfits for a trip. We threw a load in every moring and dried it when we go back. Coming home w/ clean laundry is so nice. Also the kitchen means breakfast in the unit = $$$ saved. We also hit the store and stock up on water, soda, snacks, and brkfst stuff. DVC rental is the way to go. Just make a final decision on your dates and sit back.

I thought the best deal was renting DVC points also, but how would that work with the two adults who can only go for the 7 days/6 nights? Do we just rent points for the total days we are staying and purchase our DDP and tickets ourselves or does the owner do that for you? I was checking out David’s Disney Vacation Club Point Rentals to rent points any other suggestions?

Check out the DVC thread here and some of the other boards like mouseowners.com.

I know Boss Mouse had points to rent. I’m wipped out till next August. Most rentals are $10-12 pre point. Dave gets $13-14 but I’ve never heard anyone who had a bad experience with him. He rents points for owners who don’t want to deal with it.

Also check in to AP for those staying the days. It may be cheaper and also allow for you to purchase Tables in Wonderland which may be a good alternative for your traveling party. We use TIW instead of the dining plan since we are DVC members and use our kitchen at the resort. Also we use gardengrocer.com for delivery of groceries.

Since you aske for my opinon…here it is. I personally would rent points (check to see if a grand villa would be a cheaper option for all), get APs and do the TIW (TIW costs $75 but allows for a 20% for sit down meals at most locations)

Good Luck!!! I have to give you credit. I cringe every time we try to do a large family vacation. It is sooooo hard to please everyone. I am sure you will have a wonderful time as long as you plan for a July visit and I am sure there are plenty of members here who will be more than willing to help.

[QUOTE=hiner;1047142]I thought the best deal was renting DVC points also, but how would that work with the two adults who can only go for the 7 days/6 nights? Do we just rent points for the total days we are staying and purchase our DDP and tickets ourselves or does the owner do that for you? I was checking out David’s Disney Vacation Club Point Rentals to rent points any other suggestions?[/QUOTE]You can’t make ANY direct changes or additions to your reservations. The DVC owner must do it personally through DVC Member Services.

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by this, but it’s not accurate. If you book through a travel agent, you can have your room requests noted on your reservation just as when you book directly through Disney … it’s just that you have to ask the travel agent to do it rather than doing it yourself.

But when it comes to room assignments, Disney makes NO distinction between reservations made by travel agents versus reservations made directly through Disney.

That is what I thought. BUT, I can book the DDP myself, correct?

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1047180]I’m not sure exactly what you mean by this, but it’s not accurate. If you book through a travel agent, you can have your room requests noted on your reservation just as when you book directly through Disney … it’s just that you have to ask the travel agent to do it rather than doing it yourself.

But when it comes to room assignments, Disney makes NO distinction between reservations made by travel agents versus reservations made directly through Disney.[/QUOTE]

By Direct, I mean WDW Direct. If I book with them, I can make all the changes I want:happy: I must have drove them nuts on our trip in '09. I had us booked at CBR, then asked for quotes for AK, WL, BW and the Poly. Changed my ressie to BW and then again to Poly. And every time I called, I had a great CM.

I have heard from several people when booking with AAA, you should do it in a local office with a travel agent in lieu of over the internet as you get more personal service and they will go the mile for you with making changes and applying discounts. Going through the internet, you might lose out on the discounts as they service so many people. And, you have to make your changes through them, you cannot do it yourself with Disney.

[QUOTE=Dawn;1047178]Also check in to AP for those staying the days. It may be cheaper and also allow for you to purchase Tables in Wonderland which may be a good alternative for your traveling party. We use TIW instead of the dining plan since we are DVC members and use our kitchen at the resort. Also we use gardengrocer.com for delivery of groceries.

Since you aske for my opinon…here it is. I personally would rent points (check to see if a grand villa would be a cheaper option for all), get APs and do the TIW (TIW costs $75 but allows for a 20% for sit down meals at most locations)

Good Luck!!! I have to give you credit. I cringe every time we try to do a large family vacation. It is sooooo hard to please everyone. I am sure you will have a wonderful time as long as you plan for a July visit and I am sure there are plenty of members here who will be more than willing to help.[/QUOTE]

I figured out how much it would cost for a 2 br that sleeps 8 for all of us and I am coming out almost $2k cheaper at BC and $2500 cheaper at BW than Direct through Disney. WL is higher than Disney for some reason:confused:

We usually rent a car and now this will be our 2nd time driving down, so we will have a vehicle for shopping or just bring stuff with us. We did that last year and it worked out great for breakfasts the mornings we did not have an ADR.

Is the TIW $75 per person? How does that work and do you have to be an AP to purchase it? I’ll have to weigh out the prices of the AP vs. a 10 day Hooper Plus ticket.

Here is that all ears link to explain it. It is much easier to post the link than try to explain it all here my self :biggrin:

And just fyi when you read the link you must be 21 or over to purchase, not use and it is good for a party up to 10 people.

Tables in Wonderland (formerly Disney Dining Experience)

You only need 1 person in your party to have an AP to get a TiW card. With a crew that big you will have recouped the $75.00 by your second or third meal together. The rest is a free 20% gained. Basically you save by not having to drop an 18% gratuity since parties of 6 or more have the gratuity automatically added.
With 7 people eating a sit down meal at $25.00 per person it would be $175.00 total. Easily done with a buffet. Two meals like that during your trip would be $350.00 spent. That would be $70.00 off the 2 meals. Your savings start on the third meal.
Now add in all of your other meals and even drinks throughout your stay say for a late night beverage. Take 20% off. The savings keep adding up. We use TiW religously.

The member books the DDP for you, the reservations you make yourself!!