WDW Buffet Policies

Hey friends, now that I am coordinating full-time, I’m privy to information at the areas I watch over. I’m at Crystal Palace a lot, and they have released new information regarding ALL buffets at WDW, so wanted to make sure you all had the correct information.

People have been taking too much advantage of the buffet at WDW, so the following two policies are going to be put in full effect immediately and strictly enforced:

1. When you pay for a buffet meal, you are going to be charged a full buffet price. The prices are not set by how much or how little you eat. If one doesn’t think they will be eating enough to eat at a buffet, please consider reservations elsewhere.

2. If a party comes in, everyone in the party will be charged a plate. I’ve noticed how many people in the past have paid just for their kids meals because “they didn’t get a plate.” No more. If you’re part of the party eating, you will be charged a plate. Again, if you don’t want to pay for a buffet, please choose any of the other numerous dining areas at WDW.

Keep in mind there are indeed exceptions, i.e. a person who is physically unable to eat food served, and a few other exceptions, but want to make sure you all knew what was coming.

What about eating directly off the buffet…I find returning to the table time consuming :mickey:

(thanks Rowdy for the info)

[QUOTE=tigger;1095479]What about eating directly off the buffet…I find returning to the table time consuming :mickey:

(thanks Rowdy for the info)[/QUOTE]

:wacko::laugh:

Ok this is good information, I suppose.
How is it that people always try to cheat the system? The idea to come to a place and not paying for the pleasure is beyond me. this is costing everyone more money.

At the same time I find it impossible to believe that this rule wasn’t implemented at the Grand Opening of a restaurant in the first place.

[QUOTE=Dopey;1095481]Ok this is good information, I suppose.
How is it that people always try to cheat the system? The idea to come to a place and not paying for the pleasure is beyond me. this is costing everyone more money.

At the same time I find it impossible to believe that this rule wasn’t implemented at the Grand Opening of a restaurant in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Um, I don’t get it. 5 people show up, but only 3 pay? What does this mean? I have always paid for all of us! I can not believe that this is something that would even cross someone’s mind as being ok. :mad:

There have been times when I’ve gone somewhere, buffet or otherwise, and just bought food for the kids. But it would NEVER occur to me to eat a bite in that situation. I hate that they have to impose all these rules because there’s always people who are trying to scam the system.

(And yet… I find it okay to slip a few cookies in my bag from the buffet that I’ve paid for. Also wrong. Apparently I have some elastic morality!)

(And yet… I find it okay to slip a few cookies in my bag from the buffet that I’ve paid for. Also wrong. Apparently I have some elastic morality!)

HaHa! I love the chocolate chip cookies from CP! I do this too!

I would never think to not pay for someone at the buffet. If you enter the restaurant, you should pay. I guess I thought that a portion of the price was paying to interact with the characters too. What do I know?

I guess I thought these rules were always in place.

I didn’t know those weren’t already rules! Since when have they taken different prices for how much you eat? Or does this mean that children 9 and under are now going to be charged as adults??? And what about children under 3 - are they still free?

I don’t see anything new here.
These are standard buffet rules, whether it’s Chef Mickey’s or Golden Corral.

No Sharing!

[QUOTE=Andrea;1095491]There have been times when I’ve gone somewhere, buffet or otherwise, and just bought food for the kids. But it would NEVER occur to me to eat a bite in that situation. I hate that they have to impose all these rules because there’s always people who are trying to scam the system.

(And yet… I find it okay to slip a few cookies in my bag from the buffet that I’ve paid for. Also wrong. Apparently I have some elastic morality!)[/QUOTE]

There is only one time I was ever in any AYCE buffet that I truly did not eat anything.
One day in March 2007, I happened to be in MK at the same time as the Davids (Quakercub and Chastmaster). I was originally going to go home much earlier, but wound up still in WDW when I knew they were at Crystal Palace.
I asked one of the CMs if I could drop in to say goodbye because I was shoving off and it was Cub’s birthday.
I had no intention of eating anything, and I didn’t.
I wound up staying through Wishes and chatted with the Davids all through their meal.
But the server could also see very plainly I wasn’t eating anything and I wasn’t charged.

There are genuine times that people should not be charged, but they are few and far between.

(Wait, you were in CP at dinner time and you didn’t even have a bite of the ancho chile rubbed salmon?
No I didn’t.
Amazing!)

And we all know how much I like CP for any meal.
But not this time. Instead I stopped at the Wendy’s at The Loop on my way to the turnpike.
But what should be most amazing is that at 8:15 PM, the CMs at CP had no problem with me joining friends at a table for two and gave me the choice of having dinner or not.

Oh wow, I never realized these two things were optional. Well, maybe except for someone carrying a card because of a medical condition and even then they pay child buffet rate rather than ala cart.
I do agree though. Since interaction is part of the price, if you don’t want to pay for the show consider a different place to eat.

Wow… common sense prevails… and people were trying to cheat it. Disney is going to figure you out if you cheat. Those poor people working at the buffet… I cannot imagine having to argue this point with people…

I always thought those were the rules.:blink:

As for taking a cookie or two for “the road”…:redface: Colour me guilty (but only for those almond-raspberry shortbread ones at the Biergarten). I don’t think this is “wrong”. I often have my dessert “to go”. I’m talking about a couple of cookies - not an entire meal (which I have seen people do).

CM have never stopped me from pulling up a chair to the Buffet…

You know that the breakfast buffets are the only places in WDW you can get chocolate sauce covered bacon with soft serve ice cream. I am surprised it isn’t on more menus around the World!

But does this mean we can’t bring ziplock bags with us anymore?

I’m really surprised that these are new rules. I would have never thought of going into a buffet but only 1/2 the party paying.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1095563]But does this mean we can’t bring ziplock bags with us anymore?

I’m really surprised that these are new rules. I would have never thought of going into a buffet but only 1/2 the party paying.[/QUOTE]

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: there goes the room snacks!
seriously, I never thought of only half the party paying too.

You’re actually right. Just some places at WDW were more 'laxed about it and others. However, now to be fair across the board, they will be enforced property-wide.

This policy is only fair, but to me, this has always been the rule. Of course, every so often you come across an exception like my example with the Davids.
I clearly wasn’t eating and clearly nobody was sharing with me.
But I was also offered the choice to eat or not (with the understanding that if I did, I would be charged for dinner).

I have never seen this contraction, but it is correct.:wink:

Wow, I am actually the most shocked that my cheap friends have never thought of this… I would have never believed that they would have let you in the buffet without buying the “ticket”. Crazy. Chris Y, if you read this dude, how did you NOT fill me in on this? LOL. I would have never even considered this possible, especially to the point that I would have tried it.