WDW has finally signed up Southwest Airlines

From the Orlando Sentinel:

[B]Southwest on board with Disney’s Magical Express shuttle service
[/B]
Five years after starting its airport shuttle-and-luggage service, Walt Disney World has finally signed up Southwest Airlines, the busiest carrier at Orlando International Airport.

By the middle of next month, Disney says, nearly all of its hotel guests flying home on Southwest will be able to check in for their flights and drop off their bags before leaving the resort.

Read More Here

That will make us happy campers.

Although it’s not that bad getting your luggage back to the airport, I won’t miss the “move two feet, shuffle luggage, move two feet, shuffle luggage” dance while waiting to check it.

So If I understand this right, if we will only have a carry-on and since we will have a boarding pass (printed at resort), we can go right to security??? We have never traveled without checking bags, so I’m not really sure what to do. :blush:

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1026911]That will make us happy campers.

So If I understand this right, if we will only have a carry-on and since we will have a boarding pass (printed at resort), we can go right to security??? We have never traveled without checking bags, so I’m not really sure what to do. :blush:[/QUOTE]

All you have to do is check in your bags (At resort)and the next time you see them will be at the bag arrival at your home airport. That’s always how Delta has done it. We are using Southwest for the first time and a Rep. told us that it is the same system.

I know about the checked bags, but we usually have a few suitcases AND a couple of carryons. We don’t check those at the resort, we would have to give those to bell services till we are ready to leave, right? So then back to my first question…if we have a carryon and our boarding passes, we go right to security?? Like I said, having never done this, I never paid that much attention to the rules.

Yep, straight to security screening.

Jo-Jo … Your carry on items can be left with the bell services till leaving. We’ve done it a time or two.

I’ve been reading a out the testing going on this winter waiting for the announcement. Now I can be excited, I always stress about getting to the airport with enough time to check our bags.

When we went in Dec. There was a paper on the table at POP about ME with Southwest on the list. We thought we had missed something, but I’m guessing that was the test. On the tables at AKV nor BCV, nothing was said about SW.

I think I’ve seen the testing at Pop, Beach Club, and GF maybe. I know it was being tested at BC because that’s where we always stay so I was extra excited knowing it was already in place there.

At first I wasn’t bothered by SWA not being a participating airline but after waiting in several long lines to check luggage this is a relief. We just made a flight a couple of years ago due to a very slow moving line. The last couple of years I’ve actually requested a 30 minute earlier pick up to be sure we don’t cut it that close again. I think we had fewer than 3 minutes once we reached our gate before our flight was called to board, that’s too close for me.

It will be nice to skip the luggage check in line and just go straight to the security line.

YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! It is about time! Can’t wait. This will make things so much easier for us!

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1026960]

At first I wasn’t bothered by SWA not being a participating airline but after waiting in several long lines to check luggage this is a relief. We just made a flight a couple of years ago due to a very slow moving line. The last couple of years I’ve actually requested a 30 minute earlier pick up to be sure we don’t cut it that close again. I think we had fewer than 3 minutes once we reached our gate before our flight was called to board, that’s too close for me.

It will be nice to skip the luggage check in line and just go straight to the security line.[/QUOTE]

We usually get on an earlier bus just because my DH is always worried about getting there. But I’m just thrilled not to do the checked bags, carry on bags, ID, and boarding passes juggle while moving the luggage 2 inches at a time.