WDW to raise rates for DDP in 2010!

Link: Disney World to raise rates for Disney Dining Plan in 2010

Walt Disney World’s Disney Dining Plan will cost more in 2010. Although Disney has not released specific details regarding the rate increase, it could reduce demand for the Disney Dining Plan, which resort guests add to their room package.

Currently the dining plan costs about $41 per night for guests ages 10 and up and $11 for children ages 3-9. It is added to resort guests’ hotel room key or “Key to the World,” which is scanned at Disney restaurants and snack carts. Guests who add the Disney Dining Plan to their resort packages receive one snack, one quick service meal, and one table service meal per night of stay. Since one table service meal can easily add up to the daily Disney Dining Plan standard rate of $41, the Disney Dining Plan is currently a bargain. Should the 2010 cost exceed $45 per day for an adult, however, the value of adding the Disney Dining Plan to a resort package will decline.

The Disney Dining Plan is a better deal for Disney World cast members, who pay as little as $25 per day. The best deal of all is available to guests who take advantage of the free Disney Dining Plan, which is available to guests who book special packages for stays between three and fourteen nights between September 27 and December 17. The free Disney Dining Plan offer is not available in combination with any other discount, including annual passholder, Florida resident, or Disney Vacation Club discounts on Disney resort hotels.

The Disney Dining Plan was originally offered to standard resort guests only, but in recent years Disney World extended the dining savings program to Disney World annual passholders and Disney Vacation Club members. Passholders, cast members, and guests who like to stretch their Disney dollars eat at some of Disney World’s best table service restaurants for a fraction of the price.

Table service locations include some of Disney’s finest restaurants at the theme parks and resort hotels, including 'Ohana at Disney’s Polynesian Resort, the Crystal Palace at the Magic Kingdom, and Teppan Edo steakhouse in Epcot’s Japan pavilion. Reservations for table service restaurants need to be made in advance. Princess Dining at Norway’s Akershus Royal Banquet Hall is also available with the Disney Dining Plan. More information on making dining reservations is available here.

A non-alcoholic beverage and dessert are included with all table service and quick service meals. Both types of meals are available at Disney theme parks, Disney resort hotels, and at select locations at the Downtown Disney shopping center. One of the best places to stretch the quick service meal entitlements is at Epcot, which features myriad informal cafes. At the patisserie in France, one combination diners can purchase with their quick service entitlement is a ham and Swiss sandwich on a baguette, a large drink, and an exquisite French pastry of their choice. Or head to the Japanese cafe near the koi pool for sushi with tea. The quick service entitlement is good for more than plain old chicken fingers and fries.

The snack entitlement can be used for a non-alcoholic beverage or a snack. Once again, Epcot offers the greatest variety of snacks, especially at World Showcase. The Disney Dining Plan snack entitlement can also be used during the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival in the fall. One snack entitlement can be used to purchase a snack-sized portion of international cuisine from the many outdoor kiosks featuring German apple strudel, Canadian cheddar cheese soup, Norwegian strawberry rice cream, Greek baklava, and a plethora of dishes from around the world.

I’m not surprised. I wonder what the increase is going to be…It’s becoming less and less of a value. We used it several years ago but I would much rather pay for what we really want to eat. By the end of our trip we were eating because we had to, not because we wanted to.

I assume dining across the board will rise! :pinch:

This is another reason I hope free DDP continues.

It’s $39.99 for adults 10 and up, and $10.99 for 3-9 at the moment.

Being a value is important to me, but I do enjoy having as much of my vacation prepaid. Even if it worked out to be about the same price as just paying as I go, I would probably continue to buy it. It helps me to budget more carefully and I appreciate the convenience of just swiping my resort key…the less thinking I have to do on vacation, the happier I am!!!

This isn’t unexpected. I don’t think the increase will be more than $1 or $2 per day per person. Food prices in general have been going up.
($2.57 for a 5 lb. bag of sugar! $11.49 a Lb. for rib eye! 2 cups of shredded cheese $2.50! Store brand hot dog buns for $1.19!)

This is how we felt on our last trip. We had never used the DDP before, and it was so nice not to worry about our meals, and to have it all paid for (except the tip.) I will continue to use it. It works for us.

I think the DDP really lost value when they no longer included gratuities. More increases will hurt it even more.

To consider the “value” of the plan you need to compare what you spend while using the plan with what you would have spent without the plan. Sure, the $40/day looks good when you’re ordering the most expensive thing on the menu, but if you would have ordered the $16 pasta dish and not the $33 steak, the value diminishes. Not to mention you need to pay gratuity on what you did order.

I just ran through some scenarios last night to figure out what’s best, and I think that in many cases, buying an AP trumps the Free Dining.

Example: 8 night stay, Value season. 2 Adults. Moderate Resort
$2230 with the free dining & parkhopper tickets ($2080 package + $150 in gratuities)
$2070 with an AP. (assuming $100/night incl tax, $500 for an AP for one person, 270 for the hopper for the 2nd person, and $500 spent on food for two for the week) Throw in a TiW card for $60 and you’re still saving money over free dining.

Doing the same with a family of 4 (2 adults, 1 teen, 1 disney-approved kid) tips the scales slightly in favor of the free dining.

Depends entirely on how much you would normally spend on dining without the DDP.

I agree, it totally depends on how much you would normally spend on dining without the DDP. It works out very well for us, because we always eat on property, always have at least one sitdown meal a day, and its nice to have it all paid for before we get there. NO surprise credit card bills afterwards!

With the new MYW ticket pricing, a 10 day ticket with park hopping, is much more affordable than an annual pass. The only reason I would consider an ap now is if I knew we were going to WDW more than once in a year’s time.

While on the phone with a CM last week regarding a visit this fall he quoted different prices to work up a package and the price per day DDP for that timeframe is $41/$12 so “it’s” not going up much, but unfortunately the food for OOP will see more of an increase.

:pinch: Eek.

I like having it and not thinking about how much we are spending makes it easier and even if it works out even … if i want a cheeseburger instead of a steak that is what i order. and not worry if im getting the most for my money… it is already paid so i figure it is a done deal

As long as I can continue to get free dining then Im a-ok! But who knows how long that will last, think we’ll make sure we get some fancy pants meals in next trip just incase! I still struggle to understand why, when people are financially struggling right now, everyone keeps bumping prices! It might only start off as a few ££ or $$ but it all adds up and before you know it, its gone to astronomical levels and becomes, gradually, unaffordable.

I need to win the lottery!

[QUOTE=Campbell87;981257]As long as I can continue to get free dining then Im a-ok! But who knows how long that will last, think we’ll make sure we get some fancy pants meals in next trip just incase! I still struggle to understand why, when people are financially struggling right now, everyone keeps bumping prices! It might only start off as a few ££ or $$ but it all adds up and before you know it, its gone to astronomical levels and becomes, gradually, unaffordable.

I need to win the lottery![/QUOTE]

Hehe, me too!!! (about the lottery.):blush:

I totally agree. While it is true, the plan was worth more when the app & tip were included, but I do like having it pre-paid. We usually go for a seven night stay, and I always keep track of how much I would have spent. Usually it comes out to about $200 give or take. I would prefer having an app instead of a dessert, but the kids like the dessert instead of the app.

i wish they would give us our choice.