WDW with a young baby

I have to make a decision fairly soon about this one (within the next few weeks), and looking for some advice!

We have a 3 bedroom grand villa booked at AKV Nov 29 - Dec 5 of this year, for our big family trip with my DH’s family.

Obviously since our baby is due on Nov 1, that trip is not gonna happen!

However, we’ve borrowed points from next year to allow us to book this unit, and I can’t return those points to next year.

All of them have to be used before the end of March 2010.

And I dont want to take any more from 2010 since we already took so many, so we need to go in the value time period.

I was thinking about rebooking it for Jan 24th to Jan 30th 2010. It still falls into the value season and the baby would be almost 3 months old.

Obviously it wouldn’t be a very busy trip for us with such a young baby, but it would be nice to go as a family and enjoy some vacation time.

Have you gone with a really young baby before? What was your experience?

I am thinking weather won’t be a huge problem since its Jan and it wont be too hot.

Please let me know your thoughts/advice/opinions.

Since this is my first, I have no idea what to expect!

I say if you are just going to relax, and spend time with the family…go for it!
Just know that you won’t be doing as much as you normally do, and will be spending a lot of time at the resort.
I would think it also depends on the baby…will he or she be easy going, or a fuss bucket?
Although I’ve never gone with a baby, so who am I to say? Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

That is a really tough decision. I took a mimi vacation with my DD when she was 3months old and it was horrible. She was fussy the whole time. My other children wern’t so bad as infants but she was terrible till around 8 or 9 months old. It really does depend on how she or he will be. That is going to have to be a decision you make depending on how bad you want to go and what you are willing to do if you infant is fussy. How will everyone handle a fussy baby(that being worse case senerio, of course). Of course YOUR baby will be a complete pleasure for you. We will only think great thoughts. I say go for it. Have a plan in case she/he gets fussy and know how to work around it. Ask everyone for their support and hope for the best.

If we do it, I think we would have to go with the fact in mind that it wont be a usual WDW vacation.

I imagine it would be alot of hanging at the resort, swimming, etc… maybe hit the parks with the family when the baby is up to it. But very low key and laid back in approach. Flexibility would have to be the key word!

Mostly I just want to be there with our family and feel some WDW magic :slight_smile:

That is an awsome plan. Being flexable is the key. Just being with family is worth it all. Relax and have a great time. Don’t make your expectations to high and you will have a blast.

We have taken several trips with little ones. Just plan on taking it slow. He/She will spend a lot of time sleeping in the stroller while you are there. Swimming will be hit or miss in January.

Hmmm…I am in the same boat your in so take my advice for what it’s worth (not much…haha!) I think the trip itself would probably be OK since you’ll know their schedule etc…but I would worry about traveling with such a young baby.

Yes, and plan for sleep… since you might not be getting any.

You will be fine! Your infant will still be sleeping a lot of the time! Their schedule will be getting established and like someone else said, they can sleep in the stroller. I say go for it! The weather was hard in December for swimming, but who knows, just go and get away from the everyday run of the mill stuff!

I’m saying this as an “old” mom - I realize that things are all different now.:laugh: But I’m still really leary about infants (and by that I mean maybe under 6 months) being exposed to huge crowds of people. I know that’s probably “out of fashion” - but I think it’s just good, common sense. I come home every year from WDW with some sort of cold or flu. I don’t like the idea of young babies being exposed to that.

Would you consider using those points at Vero Beach or Hilton Head? You could have a wonderful, quiet vacation, at a Disney resort and not be exposing the baby to all sorts of potential illnesses or germs. We visited Vero Beach one afternoon and it was heavenly - right on the ocean, quiet, beautiful, nice spa… just a suggestion.

So you are still going with whole family/grand villa thing? I would say go for it. I firmly believe ahem :whistling :laugh:grandparents are great things to have along on trips. We have gone on a few trips with our DGD. Once I went along just to babysit. She wasn’t that young but I had her in the morning when her parents wanted to sleep in, when they wanted to eat in peace, when they wanted to ride the big rides. Sometimes I just sat in the shade someplace with her sleeping in her couch while her parents had fun. Once I got her mid-meal, she had had enough and had become a terror. I’m sure the other people around them didn’t mind DGD leaving.:laugh: If we didn’t have cell phones, it would have been crazy, but this 1 yr was passed back and forth more times than I can count.

It should actually be a good time for a trip with a little one being it won’t be so darn hot.

As long as you go in knowing you won’t have your usual trip I think you’ll be fine. Plan on spending lots of time at your resort and any park time will be a bonus. Babies sleep a lot at that age and if you’re lucky your baby will be on a good schedule so you can plan around that.

Other than a health problem (that kept us close to our hospital for a year) my son would have been fine. He was an excellent sleeper and could sleep on the go.

We’ve travelled a lot with our kids since they were newborn, and I say, go for it! They are easiest for travel at that age. As long as they eat on schedule, they will probably mostly sleep while you’re out and about. At that age they are easy to keep happy, so just enjoy the vacation.

Disney is a wonderful place to vacation with small children. I have yet to find anywhere else that is so well prepared for parents/children. The changing/feeding area at MK by the Crystal Palace is amazing for families with small children.

Your baby will never be more portable than when it’s an infant. As long as you are calm and flexible, you should be fine. If you are taking a travel system stroller that incorporates the infant seat as part of the stroller, you can keep the canopy up to avoid those few people who still think they have to oooh and aaaah over every baby. November is great weather! You also have the extra bonus of having family with you who can give you a break every now and then! If you’re breastfeeding, you’re good to go, and if you’re using formula, the child care centers are well-equipped, peaceful, and quiet.
Good luck! Whatever you decide will work out just fine for you!! Babies are a great blessing! Enjoy!

I say go for it!! January is the perfect time to go with a small infant! (we were actually planning on going this past January with our DS – he would have been 4 months then) but since that didn’t work out we are going in a couple weeks and he will be 8 months and we are going with the same attitude–we are taking it easy and just doing whatever.

You’ll have fun no matter what and I think flexibility is key!!!

Well, I have to add, after our last trip this past December, I thought the childcare centers were so unaccessable. They are only in the beginnings of the parks, or for instance in Epcot they are only in the Future World area. Did not work very well when we were in Japan eating and our baby had a dirty diaper, that was so messy it dirtied our last diaper which we put underneath! (sorry, I stryed a bit there). I had to leave dinner, run all the way to Future world to get diapers and back to Japan. It would have been nice to have a child care center in World Showcase. Anyways, my son was 8 months at the time, but we were no longer nursing. It was a pain the butt to have to heat the bottle, and baby food, etc… I soooo wished I was still breastfeeding. Just keep in mind that the childcare stations are not that convienently located. Just plan accordingly.

That said, I still think you should go!!!

We were the bad parents who took our children, now 26, 23 and 20, EVERYWHERE. We even moved when our third was 6 weeks from England back to the states. Spent 2 weeks visiting Grandparents and friends upon arrival. I say go for it. Just remember to be ULTRA flexible and go with the flow. You have a great advantage of family right by your side. Your trip will be great if you want it to be. Little ones are easy to travel with.
One thing to watch will be your babies ears if flying. Check with your pediatrician before you leave and make sure your baby has good reactions to air pressure between the inner and outer canals. They can show you what the signs are of an ear infection which can make flying miserable with developing ears.

[QUOTE=NokeyNose;953019]Well, I have to add, after our last trip this past December, I thought the childcare centers were so unaccessable. They are only in the beginnings of the parks, or for instance in Epcot they are only in the Future World area. Did not work very well when we were in Japan eating and our baby had a dirty diaper, that was so messy it dirtied our last diaper which we put underneath! (sorry, I stryed a bit there). I had to leave dinner, run all the way to Future world to get diapers and back to Japan. It would have been nice to have a child care center in World Showcase. Anyways, my son was 8 months at the time, but we were no longer nursing. It was a pain the butt to have to heat the bottle, and baby food, etc… I soooo wished I was still breastfeeding. Just keep in mind that the childcare stations are not that convienently located. Just plan accordingly.

That said, I still think you should go!!![/QUOTE]

Good point. Also once we went to early EMH at the MK, needed a diaper and my DD then realized she forgot to bring any.:eek: Went over to the baby care to buy one only to find out they don’t open until regular opening hours.:ohmy: I don’t know if they close during late EMH, but it’s something to keep in mind.

I say GO FOR IT!!! It will probably be one of the most relaxing trips you can take. I took DS when he was 7 months old for his first trip and DD was 4 months old. Even though she was so little, there were so many things I was able to take her on…especially at MK!!! She enjoyed the sights just as much as I did, I’m convinced. When she had to eat, I just found my way to one of the awesome Baby Centers (she was exclusively breastfed) and had a nice relaxing time in there.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. My DD is now almost 4 years old, and I remember that trip as one of my favorite to date. :wub:

GO FOR IT!!!