Weather in January

I heard January was the coldest month of the year in Orlando… im goin in January unfortunately… :snowman: I also heard one day the weather can be warm and the day after really cold. Do I always need to carry a coat with me? :sad: Can some of you talk to me about their January experience in WDW please?

I’m so stupid I thought Florida was warm all year long :huh:

[QUOTE=Neverland;895762]I heard January was the coldest month of the year in Orlando… im goin in January unfortunately… :snowman: I also heard one day the weather can be warm and the day after really cold. Do I always need to carry a coat with me? :sad: Can some of you talk to me about their January experience in WDW please?

I’m so stupid I thought Florida was warm all year long :huh:[/QUOTE]

Hold up . . . where are you from (what state)? :confused:

I live in Fl and yes we have cold days, but if you are coming from a cold climate, you will have your “cold” clothes with you. :laugh:

In never gets THAT COLD . . . unless it’s a freak cold snap . . . if you layer you will be fine.

Jeans/t-shirt/hoodie . . . take the hoodie off tie around your waist in the afternoon. . . Don’t want to carry it . . .there are lockers at the front of EACH park you can rent and store your extra stuff!

WDW pools are heated so you will be able to swim too . . . my DD8 always kids she wants to hit the beach on Xmas day . . . and in January you could do the same . . . I’m in South Florida . . . so we’re a tad warmer, but IMHO Jan/Feb/March are the best times to go with the most enjoyable weather!

Don’t worry!! :heart:

I’ll be going in January as well. In my case, living above the Mason-Dixon line, I’m looking forward to how warm it will be. I’ve been to Florida in January a couple of times for work, and I was wearing short sleeve shirts, while all the Floridians were complaining about the cold. So, I suppose, cold or warm is all relative.

We will have jackets and hoodies when we leave home (we drive) so I expect we will be fine.

Define “really cold”. I’m from Maryland, so really cold for me is below 30. I’ve been in FL in January with 39 degree nights, but that was 6 years ago. I was usually comfortable in long sleeves and a hoodie sweatshirt, myself. Even if you do bring a coat, I wouldn’t sweat it. Cause eitherway, you’ll be in DisneyWorld!!! :biggin:

Welcome to MB, by the way! :happy:

I have been to WDW in late January twice. I was able to wear a sweatshirt in the mornings and evenings and a T-shirt in the day. I was only able to wear shorts once or twice, but who cares about that? You are going to love January. Sure it’s a little colder than most months, but the ZERO crowds makes up for that really quick. I kind of enjoy the cool temps. 65 degrees isn’t exactly winter coat freezing. My best advice is to tell you to dress in layers. Wear a T-shirt and a sweatshirt or light jacket over it when you head out in the mornings. That way jyo ucan tie it around your waist when it warms up.

January is perfect Disney weather!!

Honestly, I’d say Februrary is the coldest month here. Or at least the month with the most cold snaps. Every year I always find a day in January to go to Typhoon or Blizzard, just because it’s over 80 degrees that day for a high.

We’ve done January before (and again next year) and we’ve never needed more than a sweatshirt. I don’t think it is the actual temperature that makes it feel cold, it is the wide range of temperatures and daily temperature changes.

It might be 71 one day, drop to the 40’s at night, and be 55 when you hit the park in the AM. We’ve found that AK always seems colder than the other parks in the AM too.

It is always fun to be in jeans and a long sleeve shirt and see the CMs wearing heavy winter coats, gloves, and ski hats!

Dress in layers and you will be fine.

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;895765]Hold up . . . where are you from (what state)? :confused:

I live in Fl and yes we have cold days, but if you are coming from a cold climate, you will have your “cold” clothes with you. :laugh:

In never gets THAT COLD . . . unless it’s a freak cold snap . . . if you layer you will be fine.

Jeans/t-shirt/hoodie . . . take the hoodie off tie around your waist in the afternoon. . . Don’t want to carry it . . .there are lockers at the front of EACH park you can rent and store your extra stuff!

WDW pools are heated so you will be able to swim too . . . my DD8 always kids she wants to hit the beach on Xmas day . . . and in January you could do the same . . . I’m in South Florida . . . so we’re a tad warmer, but IMHO Jan/Feb/March are the best times to go with the most enjoyable weather!

Don’t worry!! :heart:[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much for pointing this out. I was worried, going in January for the first time myself. I don’t really need to visit the pools, but I wanted to be comfortable, coming from Michigan, if you know what I mean, brrrrrrrr :snowman:

We come from IA, I have been there in Feb 4X. We start mornings in shorts, t-shirsts and sweatshirts. By mid day we are down to shorts and t-shirts.

I agree with the earlier posts that the bigger issue is the wide gap in temps, how you go from 40s to 50s over night to 80s in the mid day.

We have also always had a waterpark day, it is so easy to do because they seem to have 80 degree days and with the pools heated it feel great for us northerners. While we have been in Fl in the past our home town has been hit by snow storms. So there weather feels fantastic.

Congrates on your first trip, you will need to go again…you will have the Disney fever. Welcome to our world.:wacko:

Im from Quebec, Canada. So Im used to cold winters and snow and all this BUT still im VERY sensitive to the cold so I wanted to be PREPARED for this trip, bringing the right clothes in my luggage. Thank you so much everybody for sharing your stories. I appreciate it a lot!!!

OH it will be nice a toasty for you!! :heart:

My parents are from Jersey and when they visit us they always think its HOT!! I have the temp in my house at 78 degrees . . . my Mom’s coming she’ll turn it down to 72 and the girls and I will be wearing sweaters!!! :laugh::laugh:

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;895818]OH it will be nice a toasty for you!! :heart:

My parents are from Jersey and when they visit us they always think its HOT!! I have the temp in my house at 78 degrees . . . my Mom’s coming she’ll turn it down to 72 and the girls and I will be wearing sweaters!!! :laugh::laugh:[/QUOTE]

heehee, sweaters at 72 :laugh:

We went in January 2 years ago, we had a few warm days and a few REALLY cold days. Honestly, though, it was our BEST trip ever. It was such a pleasure to tour the parks without sweating bullets. We didn’t get to enjoy the resort pool much, but we did REALLY, REALLY enjoy the parks. The kids were at their best EVER, I think it’s because they weren’t too hot and exhausted from the heat. I’m sure you’ll have and awesome time.

We are used to going in the middle of November and I have to say, I cannot imagine better weather. Always the same high 70’s never any rain, just nice, even, straight, predictable weather

We live near the Georgia coast. We are senior citizens. We went last January. We dressed in T-shirts, jeans, socks & shoes. We wore sweat shirt-type sweaters in the early mornings & at night. But, not during the day. You shouldn’t need any heavy coats. I thought I had a trip report with pictures on here but I can’t find it.

Here’s your report. I’ll go and look at the pictures, but I am satisfied with what I have read in this thread. It sounds like us mid-westerners will be just fine unless something unexpected comes along weather-wise
http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/trip-reports/47008-brebres-october-2008-trip-report.html

[QUOTE=Dopey;895880]Here’s your report. I’ll go and look at the pictures, but I am satisfied with what I have read in this thread. It sounds like us mid-westerners will be just fine unless something unexpected comes along weather-wise
http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/trip-reports/47008-brebres-october-2008-trip-report.html[/QUOTE]

RIGHT!! Like that crazy cold snap we had last December (see Val32’s report) were it was like 41 degrees in the morning . . . and for the first time in 3 years I had to turn the heat on! :eek: Brrrrrr.

I went a few years ago in Jan and I am headed back this Jan! The weather is great adn the crowds are low!

[QUOTE=Dopey;895880]Here’s your report. I’ll go and look at the pictures, but I am satisfied with what I have read in this thread. It sounds like us mid-westerners will be just fine unless something unexpected comes along weather-wise
http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/trip-reports/47008-brebres-october-2008-trip-report.html[/QUOTE]

That was my October 2008 report. We went in January 2008, too. I thought I had written a report & posted it here somewhere. :blush: