Weather woes

I know I’ve read threads before about ways to handle rain in the parks, but I would love it if you could refresh my memory. We’re going July 1st, and while I can’t get the forecast yet, the days leading up to it are rainy, rainy, rainy!! I’m going with three girlfriends (all newbies to WDW) and I want to make things as enjoyable as possible…Help!

I would take with a good quality umbrella. Get one that is small enough to pack with you in your bag. Also I get cheap ponchos from the sporting good section at Walmart. Usually they are around 87cents. Much less than the ones in the parks. I prefer an umbrella to a poncho because I get really hot in a poncho, but it’s good to have one just in case you really need it.

The parks also clear out during rain so it is a great time to visit attractions without long lines. There is not reason to let rain stop you from having a great time.

In Florida in the summer it rains every afternoon so it’s better to just expect. Also the most beautiful rainbows form after the afternoon rain. There is nothing prettier than a rainbow over Magic Kingdom.

You’ll be in WDW, don’t let a little rain ruin your fun! Just be prepared and you’ll enjoy your vacation.

I agree it always rains some in the afternoons just be prepared for it and have fun it seldom rains for long but it does rain…

It probably won’t rain ALL day long so that will be good. We love being in the parks in the rain. Just wear comfortable waterproof shoes (not flip flops and not tennis shoes…like a cute Sketcher or Croc Mary Jane or sandal).
Try and hit the shows that are near by if it’s a downpour. We got in line for the Laugh Floor and it was literally a downpour and by the time we were done the rain had stopped and tons of people headed back to their resorts for afternoon rain breaks. It was great!

• if wearing sneakers put an extra pair of socks in your purse/backpack so you don’t have to walk around with soggy feet all day. Once your sneakers dry a bit you can slip on the new socks & feel better.

• Keep some Disney napkins, paper towels, etc. in a ziplock in your purse. These can wipe off your glasses, camera, face, etc. when they get wet from rain.

• Take advantage of attractions that you may otherwise skip on a perfectly sunny day; in MK do Hall of Presidents, Laugh Factory, Carousel of Progress; in EPCOT watch the France/Canada/China movies, hang out in Innoventions, or watch the Lion King movie in the Land pavillion; in MGM you can do the indoor ‘One Man’s Dream’ exhibit; and in AK watch the Nemo stage show, or spend some time at Rafiki’s Planet Watch. All of these things take a good amount of time indoors.

• Target carries these tiny, flat mini umbrellas that actually fold out to a pretty decent size. They fit easily in the bottom of a bag/purse.

If the weather was like it was this week- you will be hoping for a shower to cool things off. It is hot down there in the summer… There were 30-40% chances of rain all last week, and it rained once for 15 minutes… It will not be too bad- pack sunscreen…

Definately the cheap ponchos.:laugh:

Take towels from the hotel to wipe down:pirate:

Make it a fun time in the rain! We went to haunted mansion the first ten minutes of our last trip because it started to rain almost the minute we walked in the park!:blush: The kids and DW had a blast!

I like the extra socks idea. Take advantage of the park in the rain. It will be fun!

I’m going to go against the grain and say the cheap ponchos are NOT worth it. They’re like wearing a trash bag. They’re thin and blow all over the place because they’re so light. They stick to your skin and it feels awful. I highly recommend the more expensive ones like Disney sells. They’re thick and don’t let rain in as easily as the thin, cheap ones. I also think messing with an umbrella in WDW is a pain. Just my 2 cents.

I agree about the cheap ponchos. I only use them to go on water rides or for an emergency.

But I also prefer an umbrella rather than the heavy Disney ponchos. I think folding up and/or carrying the wet, heavy poncho is much more difficult. And they are a little pricey to buy for the whole family and then toss.

I’m going to vote against the poncho for another reason. I figure, if it rains in Florida in July, I am going to be wet.

Choice 1 - no poncho - I’m wet with rain
Choice 2 - encased in plastic - I’m now wet with my own sweat

I take choice 1, and I think my travelling companions appreciate that more that what I’d smell like with choice 2.

So what to I do? Wear my WDW baseball cap to keep the water off my glasses, and just do what I’d normally do anyway.

July time of year, most likely you will be hit with afternoon thundershowers as opposed to all day drenches.

The MK has the best covering, it was really designed with rain in mind.

In the afternoon keep an eye to the sky, if you see dark clouds looming, try to “beat the crowds” to someplace where you can occupy your time.

If at Disney Studios, I make a beeline to the lounge next to the prime time cafe and grab a stool at the bar. When the rain starts you can watch the wet people crowd in.

If at the MK, head out to the Monorail and do a hotel tour (their are shops etc to look at, and even a bar or two that are open during the day :slight_smile: )

Schedule restaurant ADR’s for around 3:30 or so, while not full proof you may find yourself eating while it is raining and by the time you are done, the rain will have stopped. The crowds would have dispersed so you can get some quality ride time in.

[QUOTE=gatour;968598]July time of year, most likely you will be hit with afternoon thundershowers as opposed to all day drenches.

Schedule restaurant ADR’s for around 3:30 or so, while not full proof you may find yourself eating while it is raining and by the time you are done, the rain will have stopped. The crowds would have dispersed so you can get some quality ride time in.[/QUOTE]

That is a great suggestion!!

We were trapped for 1 1/2 hours at the Jungle Cruise Ride. The only thing we could do was sit and talk with the CMs who were working that day. It turned out to be a highlight to our trip. My kids still talk about the time they got to play with the CMs at the Jungle Cruise.

Here are a couple of pictures. The CM in the first picture was awesome. She spent a lot of her time with the kids.

Thanks guys, great suggestions! I know we’ll have a great time no matter what the weather, I guess I’m just looking for little pointers to make the best of the inevitable though. I like the idea of situating myself somewhere indoors before the clouds start rolling in. Thanks again!!

Ellen’s Universe of Energy is a great ride to hop on at Epcot right before the clouds let loose. I believe the ride is 42 minutes long, so you pop in right before the rain, and by the time you get out, the sun is back shining.

Imo, cheap ponchos are better than umbrellas; some areas of WDW won’t let you use them, I suppose they’re worried about lightening strikes. They wouldn’t let me use mine in Fantasmic.

I think it has more to do with blocking others’ views. I know I’d be peeved if the guest(s) sitting in front of me had an umbrella up!