Week Before Labor Day?

I thought I could hold out until 2013 for a return trip, but I just can’t do it.

I have not been to Disney during the summer since I was a child, but am thinking of taking the family the week before Labor Day.

We have taken the kids in October, March, and May. I have been searching all of the planning web sites for recent info. regarding this week. I know in years past visitors have said it was the most quiet part of the summer because the southern schools were back in session, but have the free dining promotions caused an increase in the crowds???

The closer to Labor day, the better. If you can schedule a majority of your trip after the Labor Day holiday Monday you shold have generally lighter crowds. It all depends on how the weekend and the Monday holiday fall together.
This is also the traditional time for Gay Days in Orlando. The crowds can be higher in one selected park each day, but the visitors taking part in Gay Days are generally some of the most polite visitors you will run into. We used to make our summer trip over this weekend when the kids were growing up and after Labor Day wait times many times were 10-20 on even the biggest attractions.

Labor Day falls on a Monday this year. The kids will need to be back in school on Tuesday so the final day of our vacation will probably be Sunday.

A very good time! I think it’s still my preference. The crowds are low - most kids are either back at school or getting ready to head back right after the weekend, so the crowds are way down. It is hot, though…

Other than the heat and the possibility of love bugs, it’s a good time to go.
This had been a much quieter time of year, but with free dining every year since 2005, popularity has grown, but is still manageable.

We don’t usually do that time of year, but we did go the week before Labor Day in 2010 when we dropped off our son for the Career Start program. We were pleasantly surprised with the crowd levels. Don’t get me wrong, the place was not as empty as our normal winter trips, but very managable. Apparently, the southern schools starting earlier has helped those of us who try to avoid crowds. It was pretty hot still, so hit the parks early and late in the day, and hit the pool in between.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1098924]The closer to Labor day, the better. If you can schedule a majority of your trip after the Labor Day holiday Monday you shold have generally lighter crowds. It all depends on how the weekend and the Monday holiday fall together.
This is also the traditional time for Gay Days in Orlando. The crowds can be higher in one selected park each day, but the visitors taking part in Gay Days are generally some of the most polite visitors you will run into. We used to make our summer trip over this weekend when the kids were growing up and after Labor Day wait times many times were 10-20 on even the biggest attractions.[/QUOTE]

Huh?:huh: Orlando Gay Days fall within the last weekend of May/first weekend of June, which is closer to Memorial Day and even then the crowd levels only increase 1 park per day which is whatever park is on the itinerary for that day.

Most FL schools are back in mid to late August so you won’t have a lot of locals.

And yes, Gay Days is usually around the first week of June…not August.

Whooooppppps!!! Got my holiday’s reversed. Thanks for that. That’s what I get for replying while also downloading information for a report at work.

You have all been very helpful. Thanks. Now I am just hoping for a late summer offer to be released and we will be on our way.

Nights of Joy are usually in mid September, I believe.
But I can’t imagine mixing the Gay Days crowds with the Nights of Joy crowds.
I’ll just say a lot of people would be uncomfortable if they did.

Also, I’m not sure when, but some time during the summer, Tom Joyner used to do (and still might?) an event billed as a “family reunion” for listeners of his morning show and friends.

Can you imagine all three of these groups converging on the same day?:eek::laugh:

We have been going that week-ish for a few years.
Crowds are great… Heat is not. It is hot, hot, hot. Like walk out of your room and drip sweat hot. Like put a hot, wet washcloth on your face and try to breath in a sauna hot. Like find the nearest anything with air conditioning so I can step inside and not get heat stroke hot. :slight_smile: Sorry, I live in the north. We don’t do that kind of hot. :laugh:
But, if I had to be anywhere, I would rather be there!

We live in the North too, and love the heat when we get a chance to enjoy it. We took the kids to Mexico last August. I bet the heat and humidity are pretty similar except we would be at Disney!!!

We were also there that week in 2010 and found the crowd level very low! We loved it so much, that we decided to book a trip this year the week before labor day as well!! Can’t wait!!

It is 2 showers kind of day hot… I have done 3- and that was June… At least you can use the pool…