Well this is sad

We had to cancel our WDW trip for June 2010 :crying:

My dad lost his job and we can’t afford to go this year… we decided instead of trying to save enough money for the trip by June, we would postpone our trip.

We want to go sometime when the crowd level will be low, so when would that be?
Also, we are going to try to save enough money to pay for the whole trip, so any money tips?

thanks for all the help!

I’m so sorry to hear of the job loss and the delay of your trip. If you want to do a budget friendly trip, try staying at a value resort, and try to catch a free dining deal that Disney has typically offered in the fall. That time of year can also offer good flight prices if you would be flying.
Budget tips? We have a seperate account that we deposit into every week to save up for our yearly trips. Depending on how much we save will dictate where we will stay and for how long our trip will be.
Hope that helps, and hope you are able to re-schedule your trip soon, but more importantly, good luck to your father in his job search.

So sorry about your Dad, that is so frustrating, I understand. My Dad lost his job a couple years ago & has been having a hard time finding something comparable ever since. He’s thankful to have a job at all but it’s been a HUGE life adjustment, especially since he takes care of my Grandpa. I hope your Dad finds something WAY BETTER & real soon!

Just be there to support your family & help out with whatever you can, the trip will come when the time is right. :smile:

That is sad, but try to remain positive. Its going to be very hard on your dad, make sure you are supportive.

I think Mickey Mom had some great budget tips. :slight_smile:

I’m so sorry to hear about your dad’s job. It would be sad to cancel a trip but it sounds like it’s the best option right now. There will be other trips down the road and they will be even better.

Here is a link to a thread a while back…

http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/mouse-trap/53500-getting-wdw-family-affair.html

Maybe you could start something like this. Best of luck to your dad!

[QUOTE=Mickey Mom;1014822]I’m so sorry to hear of the job loss and the delay of your trip. If you want to do a budget friendly trip, try staying at a value resort, and try to catch a free dining deal that Disney has typically offered in the fall. That time of year can also offer good flight prices if you would be flying.
Budget tips? We have a seperate account that we deposit into every week to save up for our yearly trips. Depending on how much we save will dictate where we will stay and for how long our trip will be.
Hope that helps, and hope you are able to re-schedule your trip soon, but more importantly, good luck to your father in his job search.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for all the advice and the budget tips!!

and thanks everyone else too!!!

So sorry to hear about Dad’s job! Hopefully he will find something soon. I agree with staying at a value resort, they’re not so bad. Also, after every trip we take, my hubby, myself and my kids all start throwing our spare change in a coffee can as spending money for our next trip. We did that last year and for our summer trip, we had almost $300. We started up again after the last trip in August and it seems to be building nicely, just a suggestion.

Sorry to hear about your dad’s job…hopefully thing will fall into place for him soon!

Sorry to hear about your dad. There have been so many people in this situation anymore - including both myself in 2002 and DH in 1999. But things do get better. The best way to survive is what you are doing. Put the unnecessary spending aside for awhile.

Serious, if you go back to just basics, you will be amazed at how much you really do save. Then as things improve, add a few “fun” things. It’s amazing how we get used to needing so much that isn’t necessary. We live on a much smaller income now than we had before and do 3 times as much.

Second, especially while he is out of work - DO NOT CHARGE ANYTHING! That will only make it harder for you to get back out of this.

Actually, we don’t charge any vacations (anymore). They and our spending money are up front. You enjoy the vacation so much more.

And I agree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with saving staying at a value and/or free dining time. If you’re going to Disney to see DW - the parks, etc - then alls you need is a clean place to sleep. Stayed at values 3 times now and will stay there again, especially POP.

well first of all thanks! and second of all we have been putting our spare change aside too, and it does add up!

so sorry to hear about your father. Hope he finds something good soon for you all. There has been way to much job losses here lately. We try to save all are spare change for our trips. I am also trying this new this year just getting up an going with it. That is clipping coupons for the items we actually do use and than I am planning on putting the value for those coupons in a separate jar and see how much of our next vacation I can pay for it thru that. We have also started to for more than one reason is not eating out as much either, with our lifestyle it is sometimes easier for us to grab something out instead of fixing something after a long day. But for health and money reasons we are trying to limit eating out to about once every few weeks. I have even changed over to taking store brand of diet soda to work instead of buying name brand or buying soda at work to cut back the cafe at work is so high that a bunch of us have started doing that.

we have been couponing and buying the store brands too! also we rarely ever eat out! thanks for the advice!

I do feel your pain. We were planning an Oct 2010 trip, but I doubt that will happen. With us moving to Maine next month, wedding in April, honeymoon in June, we’re planning on trying for another baby, and things being on the fritz with my FIL(who works for Disney and gets us discounts, which is how we can afford our trips), I just don’t think it’s happening. I’m bummed, this is the first year in more than a few years that we won’t be going. Ds is already asking when we are going again and I hate telling him I don’tknow.

same with us, my sister and I love going and cant wait to go again, but my mom has to remind us about all the money that goes into the trip.

I totally feel about the money issue I have it already figured at rack rate for my family with two rooms at a value with meal plan for 10days will be a little over $7000 for us and not sure how to swing it but working on it if at all possible. the Oldest sons girlfriend though is paying her own way which that is included in that amount.
Just hang in there and realize that it is a very stressful time for your father right now as well as all of you. I know it is not always the easiest thing to do that though. God bless.

We play a dumb game around here, but it works for us – on weekend nights, when we used to go out for dinner together, we eat at home instead and put $40 in a jar. It adds up toward our trips and we eat healthier too!

:eek: How is that even possible at a value, even WITH the dining plan?:confused: That’s when I’d just buy a DVC membership and then go on points for the next 50 years. :laugh: That’s insane. Sorry, I was just shocked when I read that amount. :mellow:

[QUOTE=zoomaster;1014917]I totally feel about the money issue I have it already figured at rack rate for my family with two rooms at a value with meal plan for 10days will be a little over $7000 for us and not sure how to swing it but working on it if at all possible. the Oldest sons girlfriend though is paying her own way which that is included in that amount.
.[/QUOTE]

zoomaster, I agree with wishuponastar… are you sure about the math? It seems seriously high.

Wow… I guess I am having rack rate sticker shock, as well… I checked ASMo for ten nights during the most expensive season (Christmas) and for two rooms only, it came to $4200. WHEW! That does not include tickets or dining plan, either.

zoomaster, maybe there is a discount you can use at mousesavers.com? Or better yet, buy an Annual Pass and take advantage of the INSANE discount you will get as an AP holder! I just got an AP room rate of $107 on a room with a rack rate of $179!