Well whadaya know... I have another question

LOL! Anyone know if Rockin Space Mountain and California Screamin will ever return? I absolutely loved the change, but it only lasted the summer. I think it was just a promotional thing, but I would like to see it happen again. Any info is very much appreciated.

What is “Rockin Space Mountain”?

They still have the music tracks, etc, but there are no plans as of yet to bring them back.

Almost all of my remaining CM friends work at Space Mtn, so if they have any plans to bring it back I’ll try let you know ASAP!

It was a promotional thing they did with Space Mountain at Disneyland that included a new “rockin” soundtrack. (It’s essentially a remix of a 1980’s Red Hot Chili Peppers song, mixed with Space Mountain music.) They also added extra laser effects to the ride during the time that they used this special soundtrack.

thanks Dizzy :flowers:

Yea, as of now there are no plans to bring the promotions of both attractions back, it was temporary, was a bad idea in my opinion. I have the audio files to the “rockin” version of the attractions and I dont like it. I didnt like riding it either, Especially Space Mountain, all of the lasers and lighting they added just ruined the attraction for me. I was SOO happy once they took away that joke of a promotion.

I’d say you have some pretty strong feelings about this one, Tim!

You’re welcome!! :happy:

Just a few :tongue: :wink: Attractions are created for a reason and are meant to take you into magical worlds and far-off places you couldnt go in the real world. When Rockin’ Space Mountain for instance was in use…it took you no where. It basically felt like you were riding inside of a lighting and tech warehouse, You could see all of the support beams, they had laser and flashing lights going off and on, the spinning space portal area was boosting a soundwave looking thing like you would find in a windows media sound player. It was just dumb. It had no storyline, no sense of adventure or feeling and no backstory. It was just another promotion (a lame one) to try to promote a band (red hot chili peppers) and draw people into the parks. The same goes with Rockin’ California Screamin. The only difference there is the music was no longer a Beach Theme but just rock music. It just goes to show how far out of touch management really is and they need to leave promotions and such up to the Entertainment Department, this of course has changed a bit since Eisner has left office. I hope I dont sound too too negative. :whistling

My biggest qualm with Rockin Space was the fact that it was a lame attempt to appeal to the local kids that normally go to Six Flags. It brought in a lot of teens, yes, but that took away from the experience for families and other people who were actually there on vacation, y’know? And let’s be honest…no matter how many lasers and rock songs you add to Space Mountain, it’s still no Six Flags coaster, is it? :laugh: So basically - you’re right - the effects really took away from the usual SM experience - and even the desired “big thrill ride” effect just wasn’t there. It seemed like a lose-lose idea to me.

I agree. You have the right attitude - good for you to stick up for what is right, and speaking up against things that aren’t!

I agree with Tim to an extent. I do believe the atmosphere was diluted a bit by not having a storyline to match in Space Mountain. I believe had they continued the storyline and yet played the track, it would have been a much better ride experience.

Now then, as for California Screaming, I believe that was definitely appropriate and I wouldn’t mind it staying like that. The music in the background brings forth a different variety of music that is very much appeals to the society of the modern day California. The beach music is cute and does match the theme a little, but it is quite dull for such a thrilling ride.

AB, I understand what you are saying! I like the whole Disney park ambiance to remain pure, too… just Disney, all the time.

[QUOTE=Fearthereaper;971927]

The music in the background brings forth a different variety of music that is very much appeals to the society of the modern day California. The beach music is cute and does match the theme a little, but it is quite dull for such a thrilling ride.[/QUOTE]
That may be so…however, California Screamin’s purpose was to bring a Victorian Boardwalk Roller Coaster (obviously more Victorian now than it was 2 years ago) with a bit of Flair - Music starting off with Victorian Organ Music of the 1900’s and then going into full swing of a Beach-side Guitar band of today and then ending again in the Victorian Organ Music as you pull back into the Station and a Steel Roller Coaster with a loop as opposed to the Wooden Coasters of the past, so the current music actually fits the attraction perfectly. Red Hot Chili Peppers and a Victorian Boardwalk have nothing in common, but this is just my opinion anyway :smile: (and by all means, please dont take that into offense if I came off as being rude)

Don’t worry about it Tim, we all have our own opinions. I don’t know though, perhaps it is just me that appreciates those themes. But, I suppose “to each his/her own.”

Exactly :blush:

I’m gonna add my two cents…My family loved the rockin Space Mountain. The music was great but the coolest part was the fact that you could see the track. It made it a lot like RRC in HS.

And if you didn’t like the change not to worry because it wasn’t like that for very long. Tim probably remembers how long it was there but I only rode it a few times and the next we took it was back to normal.

My curiousity was up from this conversation, so I watched Rockin Space Mountain on Youtube. Don’t like it at all. Glad they went back to normal. That’s what people look forward to when you plan a trip to Disney, tradition and memories. When you get there, and they have changed a favorite ride, it just doesn’t sit well. If they want to attract other people, just add new rides, don’t change the gems.

[QUOTE=evansfmly5;972048]I’m gonna add my two cents…My family loved the rockin Space Mountain. The music was great but the coolest part was the fact that you could see the track. It made it a lot like RRC in HS.

And if you didn’t like the change not to worry because it wasn’t like that for very long. Tim probably remembers how long it was there but I only rode it a few times and the next we took it was back to normal.[/QUOTE]

If I recall, it only lasted for a spring-summer season, it didnt go over very well with guests, the same goes with CM’s. But others liked it as well. But overall, it didnt last very long, but as you said, it wasnt meant to last very long anyways, so yay! :tongue:

I agree with Tim more and more then! The whole point of Space Mountain is that you can’t see the track. It a pretty slow ride by today’s standards, but I think that being in the dark gives it that special something!

(First time I rode it, I was an adult on my honeymoon. Almost ran over the new wife doing the rope drop. Tooooooo cool. I’m glad I did it then as I am certainly too old for that nonsense now!)