We're Going to Aulani!

We booked our DVC rooms for Aulani today! We didn’t get exactly what we wanted, but we’re on a waitlist and just thrilled to be going to Hawaii! Rental Car is booked and now just waiting to find some good flight rates. Any suggestions?

CONGRATULATIONS! That is awesome! We most certainly will need a VERY detailed report with MANY MANY pictures when you get back!

Wonderful! I hope you get your waitlist request!

My daughter said they want to do Hawaii for their honeymoon in May. I just told her they should do this resort. She said Hawaii is expensive enough, she can’t imagine how expensive this would be. But she would LOVE to do it

Jealous!!! :happy:

Have fun! Oahu is fun, but just know that it is a big city on an island. Still, I would go in a heartbeat…

I am with Victoria - jealous :blush:

Thanks everyone!
WBG~I will definitely do a trip report and I take lots of pictures, so be careful what you ask for! :slight_smile:
FGmama~Our fingers are crossed for our waitlist, trying to get a 2 bedroom instead of two studios…which we have two different views at this moment and may not be close together. With teenagers, I really don’t want to be too far away…we’re going to celebrate our Twins’ High School Graduation…so send some pixie dust our way that we all can be close together and under the same roof!
Sue-that would be awesome if your daughter could do Hawaii for her honeymoon, but if she’s paying out of pocket, this resort seems to be expensive to me, but I haven’t compared to other resorts. Thank God for DVC!!! The availability was slim-pickins, so if she has DVC, she better book quickly!
LMM-don’t be jealous, with all of the traveling you do with your family, I’m sure you can talk them into Hawaii sometime soon!
Hanwill~I’ve heard that it is like a big city, but I’m glad Aulani has their own private beach, etc. We’re going to check out the various beaches around the island, along with Pearl Harbor and a luau somewhere.
Dopey~Don’t be jealous, I’m giving up several years of visits to WDW for this trip!
So, if anyone has been to Oahu, we are open to suggestions!

That’s AWESOME!! DH and I are also booked for Aulani in May and are super excited.

We like you are going to get a rental car for our 8 night stay but also are still waiting for some hopefully better pricing on airfare.

We are traveling from Las Vegas, NV so we haven’t found much under the high price of $1200-$1550 from all airlines that travel to Hawaii from the US. I hope we can find something a little cheaper since I have seen airfare for as low as $800 in the past few years but we’re not holding our breath since airfare seems so high in general lately.

I agree that the pricing for someone not staying on DVC points is REALLY high at Aulani. Especially since it’s not on Waikiki Beach but it’s such a beautiful resort. And hopefully they can book some rooms at those prices to keep the resort going strong.

Happy Planning:smile::smile:

Good luck on getting the 2 bdrm. Are 2 adults going? Can you just have 1 in each room? That’s what we do when we get 2 rooms, but we have always connecting rooms. That’s good you are renting a car, definitely need a car if you want to explore the island. I lived on Oahu for 3 years and left right before they were finished building Aulani. We really enjoyed Dole Plantation, Wet N Wild (not as big as BB or TL but we still loved it!) and Ice Palace. Who knew I would love ice skating in Hawaii?! Sea Life Park is fun too, mini-version of Sea World, no rides. Zoo/Aquarium, cool. Not really a beach person so I couldn’t tell you the best one to go to. Have fun!

Awesome… So excited for you!.. We are looking at going in June 2012 and cant book until Dec 1st (have to wait to get more points). I was wondering how much in Hawaii tax you have to pay? I was checking out the chart on DVC member page and got a little confused… There is a price they show you which is per night (I think) based upon what room & time of year you are there, and there is a mention something about how much your annual dues are (something like that). Any help would be great. Thanks so much!

Thanks Fan of Disney, we’re really, really hoping to get the two bedroom so we’ll have more “real beds” and under one roof. We will have 2 adults, but we would like to be in our own room in Hawaii. :slight_smile: The teens will all be 18 and they’re all well behaved, but I’d still like to be close by to monitor them. My mom is “on the fence” on whether to go or not and we would like for her to have a “real” bed too, tho I think the pull outs are pretty good these days with DVC. Do you have any good Luau suggestions??? Something fun and close to authentic?

WedInDisney: December needs to hurry up and get here for you!!! Of the 3 DVC families going on this trip, none of us got our 1st choice of rooms. We took the Island View Studio and Pool View Studio because they had no 2 “like” studios available. (standard would have been our 1st choice and we just worked upward with points from there). My inlaws wanted a standard studio, but had to book an ocean view because she booked directly after me. Our friends had to get a one bedroom vs two studios because they may have 5 in their room and she couldn’t afford two ocean view studios and that was the only thing available in her “price range”. It’s crazy how many people want to go! Fingers are crossed you get what you want on the 1st!!!
As for the tax, I couldn’t find a chart on the DVC member site, but was told by DVC that it depends on the room size and time of year. For June, our studios are running about $7 per night/$35 per week per studio. When I spoke to DVC when I first heard about the tax, they told me it would range from $2.97 - $20.92 per night…so it still isn’t too bad!
Let us know when you book!

ToriaDavis~airfare from Austin is SO high too. Why this year!!! We’ve been planning this for about 2 years…and now of course the rates are high. :frowning: We’re going no matter what tho! :slight_smile:

Let us know how your planning goes and give us a trip report when you get back!

I am super excited for you. You must take pictures of every single thing you see. BIG-TIME trip report lady…no skimping on it either.:laugh:

Yes Ma’am, Dana! I will do a full trip report upon our return for this trip!

Also my DW (Toriadavis) found the 2012 frommers on amazon for $10 for a digital download to our ipad. It has been a great source of info for planning our trip, and finding things to do.

My only must do’s are hiking and see the pearl harbor stuff. However, we are very very excited.

One last thing we have read some reviews online and plan to eat a other resturants around the island. The resturants at the hotel are good but very pricy. We plan on checking them out once or twice but that is it. To enjoy hawaii you have to explore it.

A Goofy Family, several of my friends really liked Paradise Cove and preferred it over the others. They have younger teenagers and kids though.

Paradise Cove is near Alauni. You will have to pay to park almost everywhere you go. They enforce jay-walking rules over there too.

[QUOTE=A Goofy Family;1096407]
WedInDisney: December needs to hurry up and get here for you!!! Of the 3 DVC families going on this trip, none of us got our 1st choice of rooms. We took the Island View Studio and Pool View Studio because they had no 2 “like” studios available. (standard would have been our 1st choice and we just worked upward with points from there). My inlaws wanted a standard studio, but had to book an ocean view because she booked directly after me. Our friends had to get a one bedroom vs two studios because they may have 5 in their room and she couldn’t afford two ocean view studios and that was the only thing available in her “price range”. It’s crazy how many people want to go! Fingers are crossed you get what you want on the 1st!!!
As for the tax, I couldn’t find a chart on the DVC member site, but was told by DVC that it depends on the room size and time of year. For June, our studios are running about $7 per night/$35 per week per studio. When I spoke to DVC when I first heard about the tax, they told me it would range from $2.97 - $20.92 per night…so it still isn’t too bad!
Let us know when you book![/QUOTE]

9 Days and we are off to Disney… Can’t wait Im sure that the ti,e will fly by… As soon as we book I will let ya know… We are trying to go around the 26th of June (our 10 yr anniversary) anyway… The next time that you are on the DVC site, after you sign in go to the top of the page click under the tab that says vacation planning, then click on making reservations, the 5th item down says Hawaii’ Transient Accomodations tax, once you click on that there is a very short paragraph about the tax and then a link that you can click on a chart comes up with price… Its a little overwhelming when you first look at… (at least it was for me :slight_smile: )

Skip wikiki (sp)…it’s a big city with a small beach.

Must do: Pearl Harbor - arrive early in the morning & allow half a day or more. In addition to the memorial, there is a battleship, a sub and several museums which are worth while seeing.

Diamond Head- it’s one heck of a hike but the view is worth it. TAKE several bottles of water (hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!) and I recommend a flash light as there is a dark tunnel.

Get a shave ice. Hit the local supermakets - it’s an eye opening experience. There are deflib machines at the beer isle for folks like WALL and Boss. Buy at your BEvERages at Sam’s club if you can.

Be mindful of what’s in your car. There are signs everywhere including Diamond Head about not keeping anything in your car. Face it, the scum know you’ve got good, easily stolen items and chances are you aren’t coming back to press charges.