We've going uphill.......we are going downhill

ok, quick trip report…First off, let me explain the title. DH’s are knees are bad. Lots of pain, so we got a wheelchair. Half the time,DH walked pushing the wheelchair, half the time I pushed him. When we first started out, DH felt the need to tell me “we are going uphill” (Pant, pant), I know (pant pant) dear (pant pant), you don’t (pant pant) need to tell me (pant pant). ok, as a first time wheelchair pusher, I had gotten bikes gloves to protect my hands. I still got a hot spot on one hand but no blister. Some rides we just went thru the normal and some rides we had a short cut line. Saved steps but maybe not time. One odd note, first time thru toy story we were sent left…normal queue just no steps. Every other time, we were sent right which meant we needed to wait for the special cars. DH can walk, just not a disney distance. We explained that and they still sent us to the right to the line with the special cars.

Rides on the whole, we did ok. We had our DD at home looking and booking extra FPs for us, and that was great, but don’t get the impression that we went on 27 rides a day. I’d say on average she got us an extra 2 or 3 a day. I think she could have gotten us more, but we didn’t want to spent 12 hrs a day in the parks.

But there are rides we just skipped. DH knees just wont’ bend enough to get into some cars.

Restaurants, we only did a few ADR.

Sadly The Wave breakfast buffet is off our list. The have cut back on items and changed some. On the buffet they no longer have butter, you have to wait for your server to bring some. So you get your pancakes and then have to wait for butter to show up. In our case, we got a small scoop of pecan butter, reg butter and jelly. I could have used a large bowl of pecan butter. The fruit is in cups already mixed. 8 pieces of cantaloupe ,one blueberry, one strawberry. I saw a few cups on the buffet where someone must have take a cup of fruit, ate the two or three bites they wanted and left the half eaten cup on the edge of the buffet.

Also we didn’t make an ADR, because if we left a time cushion in case of delays, we’ d miss breakfast, so anyway, we go to the desk and was told they are not taking walkups. Ok. went out to lobby and made an ADR but the closest time was maybe 20- 25 mins away. Went back and said ok we now have an ADR. And they checked us in, even though we were early. It was just really weird…

Ohana is back on our list. We had skipped it for several trips. We gave it another try and enjoyed it.

Crystal Palace for breakfast. Enjoyed it last, enjoyed this time. Have plans to go again next trip.

Resorts…

The ME dropped us off at BLT. We usually got dropped off at Contemporary. Room was fine. Close to elevator on second floor.

One really weird T&T day. We were in the room for several hours in the morning, we told housekeeping (who was next door) we were leaving. Came back 3 hrs later and nothing was done. Thought we had the wrong day.so I called. Nope, right day. Was asked when are we leaving again. I said in about 30 mins. 2 mins later a knock at the door, it’s housekeeping “you need towels” At first I thought I was going to be charged for extra towels. Nope, she was going to give me 6 bath towels and call it done. When I said we wanted the whole thing, she said oh it’s only trash and towel. You need soap, ahhh yes,…you got trash…yes,…I left the door open and she came in, emptied trashcans,left coffee and three soaps by bathroom sink. No other towels, nothing hung, no paper plates. I went to look for her and she was two doors away saying our room was done. I asked for hand towels and wash clothes. When I asked for paper plates, she said just a min, walked away and came back 5 mins later and handed me a roll of paper towels. oookkkkkkk. I went to front desk, talk to manager and got some plates.

Our big surprise this trip was we had an upgrade. With DVC this is rare. Our studio for BCV for 4 days, turned into a one bedroom. Funny thing is, I missed the paper plates. Use a paper plate and toss it. With real dishes, you have to load and unload dishwasher, yes I know, such a hardship. We would love the space of a one bedroom all the time, but we don’t love the amount of points we would need.

The other big highlight was meeting up with Richard and Mrs. Richard. Also met their son. Of course as grandparents, we spent 20 mins talking about grandkids, all of which were hundreds of miles away. Because of timing, the Christmas party was starting, we also got to see main st with “snow” on our way out. Talk about going against the flow. I think it was us going out and a billion coming into the park.

So all in all, an enjoyable trip for us. We did rides, we saw shows, ate at a few restaurants, but we also sat on benches, listen to Christmas music, sat by a fireplaces, in other words, what ever we felt like doing. Our trips of 12 hr days are long gone and that’s ok.

Glad you had a good trip Jo-Jo. We gave up on the 12 hour days years ago. Just not worth it. When we were down this past October, we had guests with us, and our friends wife spent 3 days in a wheel chair. Even though she could transfer easily, we were always sent to the left on Toy Story (4 times on attraction) , which avoided the stairs. We have always loved Ohana’s, and always a “must do” restaurant for us.

We too gave up the all day marathon sessions. Just don’t have the physical capacity for it anymore. Still have the desire though. Glad you had a good time.

Sounds like a good trip.

We have started booking one bedrooms for part of our trip. Once we splurged it was hard to go back. We don’t have the points for 10-12 days in a one bedroom every year but we can book 5-7 nights.

This past summer we got sent to the special loading area on Toy Story several times. It was strange that we kept getting sent to the wheelchair loading area so I finally asked why we were getting sent there and the CM said so they can fill the cars when there weren’t wheelchairs. I don’t know if we waited longer every time but we didn’t have a shorter wait and at least once it was probably longer. It wasn’t a big deal, just odd.

Next trip will be with 5 and 1 yr old grandsons. i fully expect to say, that’s ok, we’ll sit here,you go on rides. in fact maybe use our MB so DGS can go on extra rides.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1919095816]Sounds like a good trip.

We have started booking one bedrooms for part of our trip. Once we splurged it was hard to go back. We don’t have the points for 10-12 days in a one bedroom every year but we can book 5-7 nights.

This past summer we got sent to the special loading area on Toy Story several times. It was strange that we kept getting sent to the wheelchair loading area so I finally asked why we were getting sent there and the CM said so they can fill the cars when there weren’t wheelchairs. I don’t know if we waited longer every time but we didn’t have a shorter wait and at least once it was probably longer. It wasn’t a big deal, just odd.[/QUOTE]

For our trip next year, we had rented points from Richard. We are have two studios for 5 days and then a 2 bedroom for 4 days. We didnt have enough for all of it.

We’re lucky in that we have friends who own DVC and they don’t use their points yearly. I’ve bought points from them for years. They give us a great price so we can either extend our stay or get a bigger room.

That’s wonderful you have access like that. We had gotten points for our trip in the spring and a trip our DD is taking in Feb. Her family size needs a suite or two room at a “normal” resort. It was cheaper to rent from Richard for a one bedroom at AKL.

It seems we do ok with our points unless we are doing trips with the kids. So about every 2 or 3 yrs we need extra points.