What do you think: Grand Californian or not?

We are looking at DIsneyland for our next vacation, and I wanted to get opinions on Grand Californian. I know it is an absolutely beautiful hotel and you can’t beat the location, but is it worth the extra price?

Since the setup there is so different from WDW, does it make sense to splurge or should we opt for something like the Doubletree which gives us a suite for less than half of what a standard room is at GC.

Just looking for opinions. We aren’t even sure when we are going yet. lol We always say last year was it, and somehow, we always end up back at Disney. :ph34r:

I’m just as happy at the Disneyland Hotel. :happy:

I never had a problem staying off-property still at walking distance… but I really like the feeling of not leaving.

I’ve stayed At GC and the Disneyland Hotel, and I would say it’s not really worth it. We prefer the latter.

As far as on property or not, it’s easy. If you have the dough its worth it for sure. Early entry on most days into Disneyland and the monorail entrance is a short walk from the Disneyland Hotel.

If its between on property and eating at places like Goofy’s Kitchen, Blue Bayou, then I would stay somewhere else. And, BTW, if you DO want to eat at the Blue Bayou, make a ressie.

Hope that helps.

I for one LOVE the Grand Californian. If you’re one who loves the atmosphere of Disney, it’s one of the best places to be. The proximity to the parks is so convenient, especially when you compare to staying off property. Heck, California Adventure is right next to the hotel-you literally walk out of the hotel, and there are turn styles are in the walk way. It’s my favorite Disney hotel.

If it is between GC and the DLH then I would choose the GC. The DLH is going through renovations at the moment. If you get one of the new rooms (most likely you will, they are almost done with the rooms) they are very nice. The pool is currently under construction - the new pool will be very cool. I think the old pool is still open but be ready to deal with construction.

Distance to a Disneyland entrance is about the same for both hotels. DLH is a short walk to the monorail which drops you off in Tomorrowland. GC is about the same walk to both the monorail and the front entrance. GC entrance to CA can’t be beat - best location on property. This becomes more and more important as CA starts opening many of their new attractions and becomes a relevant park (most of the renovations will be complete in 2012).

If money is not a factor I would choose GC but you can usually get DLH for nearly half the price. Offsite you can get even a better deal (half of DLH) but just make sure you find a good hotel (some offsite hotels are terrible). We like the Howard Johnson on Harbor.

I haven’t exactly decided much of anything yet! After hearing that Carsland is expected to open in 2012, I’m thinking we should wait until after it opens. Hmm … decisions decisions

I love the idea of staying at the GC, and I have had some spa treatments there that were heavenly. It’s more a matter of how extravagant I want to be when I plan or if the inner scrooge takes over.

[QUOTE=Cielei;1073204]I haven’t exactly decided much of anything yet! After hearing that Carsland is expected to open in 2012, I’m thinking we should wait until after it opens. Hmm … decisions decisions

I love the idea of staying at the GC, and I have had some spa treatments there that were heavenly. It’s more a matter of how extravagant I want to be when I plan or if the inner scrooge takes over.[/QUOTE]

CONVENIENCE is the key word here. Disney allows you to stroll through the hotel, oohing and ahing, and sitting in front of the fireplace or listening to the piano, as well as accepting your dollars at their restaurants.

I have yet to stay at the Grand Californian. IT DOES HAVE IT’S OWN ACCESS to California Adventure, so on cold nights when you do Grizzly Rapids, you can run back to the hotel and get warm sooner. =)

If finances are a key between eating and hotel, I would pass, just because a room is a room in the end. Though the GC does have nice specials every now and then. :pirate:

As I always say, if you have the money, splurge and stay on property. You can save by staying across the street off property, but nothing beats staying on Property. The Grand Californian is great…can’t beat the private entrance into DCA, all of the shops/restaurants/views and amenities. Also, with the Multi-Million dollar renovation the Disneyland Hotel is finishing up on, the Disneyland Hotel would be just as great, and not quite as expensive. Just depends on your personal preference.

The GC reminds me of the WL in WDW. If you decide not to stay at GC, at least try the Napa Rose restaurant. Great food, great service and a nice view of the Mattehorn. Enjoy your trip!

When we went my work picked up my travel expenses as I stopped into one of our offices in Orange, so I decided to splurge a little on the resort and we stayed at the GC. I really liked it and since we kind of knew this was going to be a once in a lifetime trip it was worth the extra to us.

It did have that 100% Disney feel to it and I was able to get some cool design ideas from it. Mousekeeping was top notch as expected and the rooms were comfortable for the four of us. The convienance factor was a plus, but not the deciding factor. If I were to go back I would try the DLH, just to change it up a bit.

-Harry

Um, I think you mean Grizzly Mountain in California Adventure… :blush:

Of all the times I have eaten at Napa Rose, there was one time where we ate early enough when it was light outside. Because of that, we were happy to have a seat near the window. It’s a great view without feeling like being in a fishbowl, where park patrons will be gawking at you… :blink:

The Grand Californian is amazing and beautiful but I personally choose the Disneyland Hotel instead. It feels more spirited to me, and it’s such a classic! Can’t go wrong there!

I am going to be the odd-ball :eek:in this but I would say, save your money you would spend on the more expensive hotel room and stay at one of the good neighbor hotels. There are some great GN hotels! :ohmy: And seeing that GC can only get you onto the park just 30 minutes before the other guests it might be better just to stay off property.:closedeye When our family goes we are going to the desert palms hotel and suites which is across the street from CA and and easy 10 minute walk to DP.:wub: The rooms look comfortable and there is a room for nearly every price budget. I don’t mean to put a damper on things, sorry if I did.:crying: But I am sure where ever you decide to stay, your Disneyland trip will be great!:happy::mickey:

If you get the right room you can see the fireworks show perfectly from your windows.

Having been away from Disneyland for about 17 months now, I am in serious need of a trip. But, because the American Samoa Government is doing it’s best to save me money by not giving it to me, finances are a bit tight. Yesterday, I priced a two night stay at the Grand Californian this October for my Heir Apparent’s birthday. I was quoted $760.00 for the two night stay. For $760.00 I can stay at the Hyatt on priceline for $100.00 which would leave $660.00 for food, park access and other necessities. In the end, I don’t know if I’ll ever stay at the Grand Californian until I have a steady job where I can afford it. But as I said in the earlier post, Disney allows you to hang out there, imagining that you can afford to spend the night. :pirate:

well rooms are cheaper on the week days and off season :slight_smile:

I love Disney Land hotel. The most important feature is services they are providing in reasonable cost. Location, good staff and food makes this place more beautiful. And ambiance of this place is so happy that makes your day.

I have almost literally done as much, only it was June, though not Florida warm for the same day.

I can see I’m posting long after any decisions have been made, but twice I’ve been to Disneyland and both times I stayed at the Grand Californian.
It’s the only place for me when visiting Disneyland/Knott’s.

But Wilderness Lodge in WDW is one of my favorites and there’s a lot of similarities between the national parks lodge architecture (WL) and arts and crafts/craftsman (GC).

That is because they were designed by the same architect - Peter Dominick! The Colorado-based architect designed three Disney resorts (any guesses on the third???) before his death in January.

If you care to know more, your girl has written a paper and made a speech on him. :wink:

p.s. He designed the Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Grand Californian.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1097823]That is because they were designed by the same architect - Peter Dominick! The Colorado-based architect designed three Disney resorts (any guesses on the third???) before his death in January.

If you care to know more, your girl has written a paper and made a speech on him. :wink:

p.s. He designed the Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Grand Californian.[/QUOTE]

Smarty Pants. Quit showing off.:laugh::laugh:

R U ready for the Orange Bowl?