What do you think of this?

So, we just got back from staying at Fort Wilderness Cabins and continually noticed construction occurring to the East of the Osprey Ridge golf course. And I don’t mean a little bit of modification, I’m talking 300-400 acres of clearing land, heavy equipment, construction trailers, etc. It’s right at the intersection of Bonnet Creek Pkwy and Vista Blvd. Something BIG going on. I asked one of the cast members at the resort what was happening and she said that Disney has sold the land to a non-Disney developer and they’re putting up a 5-star hotel and million dollar houses. She also said that Disney has sold “a bunch” of land in other places around WDW lately and similar development plans are in the works.

I was (and still am) a bit disappointed in hearing this. Assuming the land sales are all around the periphery of property, I would imagine the theme parks and resorts will not be infringed upon too much and wind up with the Disneyland problems of the “outside world” encroaching in on the magic. But I kind of feel like Disney has sort of folded their arms across their chest and said that “Well, we’re done developing WDW. No more parks, resorts, etc, so let’s sell off some of this land and make a huge profit.” Far be it from me to stand in the way of Mickey making his cash, but I had always heard Walt bought up all the land so that WDW would be a constantly evolving and growing entity - a place where all of the dreams they could come up with would come to fruition. And heck, wouldn’t a 5 star resort so close to the Magic Kingdom put the hurt on the other Disney resorts??? I don’t know. Maybe I’m making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I sure hope I’m wrong.

Anyone else have any feelings one way or the other?

From what you are saying, I have the same feelings as you! I thought they were holding onto all that land so they can continue to expand.

I think we need to consider, some CMs may not know what is going on, or they are keeping a lid on things. I think there will be more to come on this subject…

I know they are building a Four Seasons resort to open in 2012.
Orlando Sentinel - Walt Disney World sells land to Four Seasons, releases rendering on Tourism Central Florida

I had a conversation with the golf guys a while back, when they were closing the Eagle Pines course (where the construction now is), and they said it would be a Disney property. The described it as a villas-type property so I expected to hear it would be another DVC offering.

But they were very certain that it would remain a Disney resort.

Just read the link from 2nd Star, and it mirrors what they guys said – they did mention it would be managed by Four Seasons, but they were of the opinion that it would remain under Disney ownership. The article makes it sound liek the opposite is true – that Four Seasons would own the property but disney would be involved in running it?

[QUOTE=2nd Star;923503]I know they are building a Four Seasons resort to open in 2012.
Orlando Sentinel - Walt Disney World sells land to Four Seasons, releases rendering on Tourism Central Florida[/QUOTE]

I think 2nd Star has got it right!

I agree. I didn’t put it in my post, but yes, even employees don’t always know what’s going on.

But if you sources ARE true, JD Dis, I would definitely have the same feelings.

That link to the Four Seasons story sure sounds like that’s what it is. Northeast corner of the property? Check. 298 acres? Check. Site preparations just under way? Check. Luxury hotel with private homes? Check. And that ain’t a Disney property - unfortunately.

Totally agree that a bunch of CMs either don’t know or they give out disinformation to throw the rumor-mongers off the trail, but this lady sure seemed to nail this one on the head. So, assuming the rest of her statements were correct, that means that Disney has sold other tracts of land around the property for similar projects. As I said earlier, just makes me sad to think they’re hacking into Walt’s vision for this ever-expanding resort where wonder and magic is continually evolving.

It is disappointing that they sold off the area. However, I think Disney has more land than we can imagine and if they sold off part of their land I am pretty sure there is a reason behind it. I mean there are already two non-Disney operated hotels on property and they blend in.

This construction work was underway when we were there in August 07. I was told it was the Four Seasons group that had bought the land too.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;923504]I had a conversation with the golf guys a while back, when they were closing the Eagle Pines course (where the construction now is), and they said it would be a Disney property. The described it as a villas-type property so I expected to hear it would be another DVC offering.

But they were very certain that it would remain a Disney resort.

Just read the link from 2nd Star, and it mirrors what they guys said – they did mention it would be managed by Four Seasons, but they were of the opinion that it would remain under Disney ownership. The article makes it sound liek the opposite is true – that Four Seasons would own the property but disney would be involved in running it?[/QUOTE]

It is going to be a Four Seasons resorts with villas and timeshares. It will NOT be disney owned or run.

What that is OUTRAGIOUS!!! lol! it hurts me to know that disney could be doing this type of stuff. but hey I have no say in it and it is their land. Disney personnel probably saw that there was no possibility in using that land for something important.

OMG, i’m outraged! Although it’s comment for Disney to sell. You have to be joking? I guess they “want” the money, because i’m telling you they don’t need it! I look foward to staying their though LOL.

• Justy

This is a bit disappointing if Disney did indeed sell off some of their property. I’m not quite sure Uncle Walt would be pleased with the idea of “Million Dollar” homes taking up space where more Dreams are yet to be Dreamt! We’ll see what the future holds…

That makes me sad. I’m sure they are doing it with the best of intentions, but I still don’t think it fits with what Walt would have wanted. WDW was supposed to fix the mistake he made with Disneyland…which means keeping the “outside world” OUT. :sad:

1000% my thoughts! And I can’t buy the “it’s just land they can’t do anything with anyway” argument… Four Seasons found something to do with it! And I get the whole public company that has to answer to its shareholders thing. Yes, they need to be as profitable as possible, but with the apparent decline in customer service (from comments posted on here, other boards, and my own recent experience) perhaps they should go back to the things that made Disney the company it is rather than selling off land that was specifically part of Walt’s dream 50 years ago if they want to boost profits. Just my $.02.

I couldn’t agree more. I think you put that really well.

Actually, Disney originally was planning on putting up a DVC along the golf courses, but it was put on hold because of I think 911.

My guess the courses weren’t getting a lot of play, so Disney eventually became concerned about the marketability of a DVC in an out of the way place (relatively speaking). They then had to deal with the former Disney Institute since it wasn’t doing well, but was in a better location, so they decided to “farm” out the golf courses while redeveloping the Disney Institute into Saratoga Springs themselves.