What in The World is wrong with people today?

Another disturbing story from WDW. This time Typhoon Lagoon:

No Bond For Suspect In Water Park Sex Crime

Posted: 6:19 am EDT July 17, 2009
Updated: 6:55 pm EDT July 17, 2009
ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. – It’s the fifth sex crime at a Central Florida water park in just the past month. The latest suspect is in jail right now and that’s where he’ll stay.

Detectives say 29-year-old David Thomas touched at least five boys inside Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon on Thursday, but that’s not the only water park where this has been happening. There have been similar incidents at Aquatica and Wet ‘n’ Wild.

The latest suspect was told Friday he will not be able to bond out of jail. He’s from Mountlake Terrace, Washington and the judge did not feel comfortable releasing him.

“He was in the wave pool and a father saw him touch a little boy on the butt,” said Sgt Rich Mankewich, Orange County Sheriff’s Office.

Eyewitness News found out from deputies that Thomas is in Orlando on vacation from Seattle with a 15-year-old boy who lives with him. The boy also claims Thomas molested him this week and more times than he can remember over the last five years. Thomas is friends with the boy’s mother.

“She didn’t even know he was here at Disney World. The 15-year-old has been living with Thomas for the past year,” Mankewich said.

The crime has now prompted new action from Disney, which is increasing law enforcement and security in the water park. Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon will have a lot more eyes watching the water starting immediately.

continued at:
No Bond For Suspect In Water Park Sex Crime - News Story - WFTV Orlando

This is almost as disturbing as the other part… ok, it’s completely as disturbing.

No, I think that’s even more disturbing.
More bad parenting on parade.:nuke::angry::eek:

so your child is living with someone else for a year?!?!?! I wonder whats wrong with the mother not to have her son in the 1st place.

Curiouser and curiouser:eek:

Ridiculous! Absolutely ridiculous! People like that are SICK!!

As much as I hate to say this, I will definately be re-thinking Typhoon Lagoon for any future trips. We are big big fans, but my children’s safety comes first.

ouch, I agree may have to rethink it. one likes to think of Disney as a safer not safe completely enviroment for a relaxing vacation.
All this does is to take away another bit of security of mind a parent can have.
and what type of parent would let there kid live out for a year like that anyway…

One of us is always right with our kids at the Disney water parks, and the parks in general - and we will be closer this year. Horrible to think of the predators lurking…

The problem with rethinkin Typhoon Lagoon is that you also have to rethink BB and any other place that you want to take your kids. It’s not the only place that is happens. Amusment parks, water parks, play grounds, even school yards and churches. The trick is keep your child in a safe distance, where you would notice if someone is in there confort zone. On top of the for the next few months TL might be one of the safest places if they are stepping up on security and publishing that they are!!!

Sick and disturbing, is nowhere safe these days? Not even Disney? Its getting harder ad harder to walk out of the front door each day without fearing for your health and safety!

That is exactly what I was thinking. I think this serves as a good reminder to parents that we must always watch out for our children no matter where we are. DS doesn’t go into the wave pool or anywhere without his dad, sister, or me with him. There are too many bad people out there. He gets mad sometimes and tells me that he wishes I would trust him more. I always tell him that I trust him completely, but I don’t trust the bad people out there.

The problem with Typhoon Lagoon compared to other parks, or any other public space for that matter, is the wave pool where the incident happened. Our kids are always within arms reach, never alone anywhere, but that wave pool is unpredictable. Even though we are right beside our kids, when the wave hits, that wave takes control and if pervs are setting themselves up for an opportunity, then I won’t be putting my kids anywhere near that opportunity. I very much doubt that this is a first incident…more likely just a first time caught. I wonder how many people/children this has happened to that it has been passed off as an “accident” caused by the wave. Too much opportunity there. Like I said, we are huge fans of TL, as I have written in many posts, but the only way my kids will enjoy that pool again is on a quiet day with my husband standing right behind them clearing their way.

I can’t say anything that has not been already said…

My kids keep pushing for some freedom. This is why they dont get it.

This garbage just makes me sick to my stomach. It infuriates, disgusts and saddens me all at the same time. I know I’ve said it before, but seriously…if I witnessed this happening to any child (let alone my own!) I would not be able to restrain myself from beating the living you-know-what out of that person.

You are exactly right. With all the publicity, you can bet the bad guys will move somewhere new asap. They need anonymity to do what they do.

Well said!:laugh: