What is your favorite DVC resort?

Obviously this is a generalized question and is going to be very subject to opinion, but I’m curious to get some feedback on the DVC resorts. What’s your favorite and why? Any of them have particular plusses or downsides?

I recently realized that my sister will be graduating high school next June (:noo:) and for years I’ve been planning to take her to WDW as her graduation present. Well it has snuck up on me fast, so I need to start putting the planning wheels in motion.

I talked to DH about it yesterday and (even though he’s known about my plans for years) he got pouty and said he wanted to go. :laugh: So it looks like it will be turning into a family thing, which means we’ll need to go the route of a DVC unit rather than a regular room.

I think we are going to wait until late in the summer, perhaps late August or even early September. It may be over a year away, but I’m just so happy to have a trip to plan! It will be the girls’ first trip, and my sister hasn’t been to WDW since she was 8, so it will be very much like a first trip for her too!

Anyway, that’s my rambling. I’m now ready to hear all of your DVC-resort thoughts! :laugh:

We really like Saratoga Springs. The rooms are big and airy. While the complex is spread out - that is an up side for us. The board walk was pretty cool, but the rooms we had needed some TLC (2007). The Beach club was cool because the pool was an attraction in itself for the children. The close proximity to EPCOT was neat, too.
My least favorite in Old Key West. But that is the least favorite of a lot of really nice digs.

I’ve only stayed at SSR so far and liked it…but I am super excited about the 1 bedrooms at Kidani Village having an extra bathroom and a pull out chair in addition to the pull out sofa so they can sleep 5 instead of 4. What size unit were you thinking of?

I have to go with Boss on this one. We love SSR. In fact we just got back this week from staying off site and drove over to SSR with my family who has never visited SSR and they fell in love. We all agreed that this is the resort we want to book for next year. I love the lay out and the whole feel of it. It is a very relaxing resort and the kids love the pool area, oh and mom too.

I think we will have to go 2-bedroom. We could probably make do with a 1-bedroom, but I’d feel bad giving the trip to my sister as a “present” and then forcing her to share a room with my kids! :laugh:

I’ve only stayed at OKW but I LOVVVVEDD it. Plus generally it’s the cheapest to rent points for. We loved it…it was very peaceful and condo like.

Most people think it’s too old or needing refurbing…and maybe it does but I love it and would stay there again in a minute. It was between OKW or the values and I’d pick OKW any day.

Thanks y’all…keep the thoughts coming!

I was going to casually ask my sister for some feedback, but I decided I don’t want to give her even the slightest inkling of my plans. And if I ask DH, he’ll probably say “I dunno.” :laugh: So I need all the feedback I can get!

I’ve liked all of the places I’ve stayed but SSR is pretty nice, other than being spread out. But there are plenty of buses.

I’m already saying that BLT is my fav based on location. Can’t wait for the first trip “home” in Sept!

Beach Club Villas is our favorite. The atmosphere is fun and the location can’t be beat. All of the resorts are nice but we like the smaller DVC resorts that are part of a non-DVC resort.

Technically, I’ve only stayed at OKW, but I have stayed at the hotel side of AKL, WL, BWI, and BC, so I do have the vibes of all but SSR.
I do like OKW, but I’d have to say my favorite is now Bay Lake Tower.

OKW and Kidani

I think this is going to be a really hard choice. :laugh: I can come up with reasons why they all appeal to me!

Actually, in my case, Bay Lake IS what appeals to me most.
Give me a tall building with a nice view.
(Doesn’t hurt that it is furnished in a “contemporary” style)
It’s also got great location and is a commuter’s dream.

Asking that question is like asking people what their favorite flavor of ice cream is! I think my new favorite will be BLT, but my second choice would be BWV or VGC. After that, BCV, VWL and AKV are about the same. SSR and OKW trail at the end, as they are my least favorite.

:laugh: I know, it’s not exactly an easy question to answer is it? I know when people ask about WDW resorts I’m always like “The Poly is my favorite” and then inevitably “Oh but I like…”

Thanks for your opinions everyone! It may come down to cost and/or whichever has the most convenient location to where I think we’ll spend the most time. I considered the All-Star Music suites, but I would feel terrible sticking my sister on a foldout bed, in a room with my kids. :laugh: (Some graduation present that would be!) So DVC it shall be!

I have only stayed at SSR and all thought the rooms were nice. The bus system there was horrible. We waited forever for buses, and at night when we would leave parks we would wait forever. I would sometimes see about 6 buses for OKW before i would even see one SSR. I just think they need a lot more buses. However, now that i’m not ranting I’m really looking forward to staying at Kidani Village in a 1 bedroom in a few weeks.

I’ve always wanted to stay at BCV so I could have 100% access to Stormalong Bay. But BWV is our home resort and our family favorite. There is something more magical than magical in that place – walking into that lobby for the first time each trip just about brings me to tears.

Our favorite is Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo house units). If you are trying to get the most bang for your buck, book a standard view. Also, 2 studios cost much less then a two bedroom and everyone has their own room that way.

Our standard views all had a view of the pool…I guess you could get a view of parking or trees, but for the price (same or less then OKW) I love the fact that I get the great AKL atmosphere at the OKW price!

[QUOTE=BDavis932;972357]Our favorite is Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo house units). If you are trying to get the most bang for your buck, book a standard view. Also, 2 studios cost much less then a two bedroom and everyone has their own room that way.

Our standard views all had a view of the pool…I guess you could get a view of parking or trees, but for the price (same or less then OKW) I love the fact that I get the great AKL atmosphere at the OKW price![/QUOTE]

Thank you!! I never, ever would have thought of getting two studios! I’m sure we could make do with 2 kitchenettes and if it saves money, it would absolutely be worth it.

I was going to ask how the standard views were at AKV…it’s a huge savings over almost any other DVC option, and we know we love AKL! I think this will probably end up being our choice.

We have only stayed at OKW, and we were not impressed. It just didn’t seem worth the money. If you can get DVC at AKL for close to the same price, then I would pick AKL in a heartbeat. OKW is a lovely resort, it just didn’t do it for us.