What new at WDW since 2008 : )

Hi everyone!

Ok a little back ground info…our last trip was in April/May of 2008…yes almost 4 years ago:blink::happy: We had a trip last year booked with free dinning in August but we cancled and took a cruise instead:laugh:. So this past September my mom calls me and says that they would like us to come to Floridia with them in March/ April and stay at a condo that they have rented and then go back to their house in SC for Easter for a few days.

Sounds good to me and my husband and the kids… best part is it is 5 minutes from the gates so we are going to go to the parks for 4 of the days we are down there(already got our tickets).

I have never stayed off property (except years and years ago when I went as a kid to DL) and I have never went only for four days to the parks! So I am kind of concerned that we are going to feel :eek::eek::eek: with it being the week before Easter and all.

We only have the Hoop De Doo booked and Le Celler and thats it as far as planning goes!

So if anyone has any tips as far as staying off site or what we should make a point to see that would be wonderful!

Thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!:happy:

OOPS title should say Whats new not What new…

Anyone?.. thought at least someone would reply:confused: Oh well I will look/search on here and other places.:happy:

I really don’t remember what has changed from 2002. But they did up date star tours, toy story mania is new and a must do. The nemo show and lion king shows are great to see in animal kingdom. Fantasy land is being redone and won’t be done until next September or October. Dtd has a balloon ride and the have a new restaurant that has a dinosaur theme, which my family really enjoys. And the food isn’t bad.

I don’t think a lot has changed but 4 days!!! :eek: staying off property is not one of my fav things to do but its alright if you are only going for a short time.

We had an off-site visit in November. In all I think we had about four days in the Park.

What is new…hmmm…

At Hollywood Studios Toy Story Midway Mania is the big new attraction - and it has taken on a life of it’s own! If you want to experience it, you must hightail it to the ride as soon as the parks open. By the time you get there the line-up will have already begun. You’ll have to decide whether you want to wait (if it’s first thing in the morning and you really run, you might have a wait of about 30 minutes - don’t expect less. If you choose to get a fastpass you will have to get in line for that too - and those line-ups can be as long as the ride queue - but if you don’t get it first thing, chances are all the fastpasses will be gone by noon. Yes - it is that nuts. That being said, it’s a really fun, inter-active ride and you’ll love it.

Animal Kingdom - was Expedition Everest open when you were there? If not - terrific rollercoaster. We find that the line moves quickly. AK also has Nemo: The Musical. It depends on whether you enjoy musical theatre - if you do - this is an absolutely wonderful show, incorporating actors and puppets and fantastic props. I highly recommend it.

Epcot - Soarin’ Was it open? Another attraction where you have to get a fastpass first thing - not as crazy as ToyStory Mania - but still pretty nuts. You won’t want to miss it! The rest of Epcot is pretty much the same.

MK - they are in the process of the huge reno of Fantasyland - Toontown is no more. Other than that - no real changes.

Will you be driving to the parks? Now, this might not be on the up-and-up - but my dh just went into AAA (well CAA for us but I digress) and asked if he could get a “gold pass” parking pass. These are suppose to come with an AAA package but - they just gave him one! It’s good for a year and you get to park in the gold parking lot just outside the park entrances. It was extremely convenient. Heck, you can always try…

If you drive I’d suggest being in the parks early in the morning and doing as much as you can. If you are staying all day, then find somewhere quiet for a break in the afternoon. At the MK the Hall of Presidents is quiet and cool, or take a few spins on the People Mover. At Epcot visit The American Adventure. The seats in the theatre are comfortable and it’s a nice 45 minute break. Or you could walk over to the Boardwalk. The veranda at the Boardwalk Inn has nice rocking chairs to sit and watch the world go by. Or have ice cream at the Bakery - it’s always quiet on the Boardwalk during the day.

At AK - take in the Nemo Show - (see above).

A nice place for a break at the Studios was the Book Stop. Buy a carrot cake cookie and find a comfortable chair - they’ll let you stay as long as you want.

The evening is the best time for the Marketplace. For a quick and tasty dinner try Earl of Sandwich. The best deal in food at WDW.

Thank you, I had read about Fantasy Land but was not sure when it was going to be done…guess we will have to plan another trip :happy:

Thank you again for you reply!

I know I was like what :eek: only four days…but I guess it is better than not going.
As far as staying off property it will be a change but the last time we went with my parents to Disney we had seperate rooms so I am going to try and look at the positive points like, enjoying a cup of coffee in the morning with my parents and some down time with them since we only get to see them around 4 times a year. Thank you for your reply!

[QUOTE=llama;1098540]We had an off-site visit in November. In all I think we had about four days in the Park.

What is new…hmmm…

Will you be driving to the parks? Now, this might not be on the up-and-up - but my dh just went into AAA (well CAA for us but I digress) and asked if he could get a “gold pass” parking pass. These are suppose to come with an AAA package but - they just gave him one! It’s good for a year and you get to park in the gold parking lot just outside the park entrances. It was extremely convenient. Heck, you can always try…

If you drive I’d suggest being in the parks early in the morning and doing as much as you can. If you are staying all day, then find somewhere quiet for a break in the afternoon. At the MK the Hall of Presidents is quiet and cool, or take a few spins on the People Mover. At Epcot visit The American Adventure. The seats in the theatre are comfortable and it’s a nice 45 minute break. Or you could walk over to the Boardwalk. The veranda at the Boardwalk Inn has nice rocking chairs to sit and watch the world go by. Or have ice cream at the Bakery - it’s always quiet on the Boardwalk during the day.

At AK - take in the Nemo Show - (see above).

A nice place for a break at the Studios was the Book Stop. Buy a carrot cake cookie and find a comfortable chair - they’ll let you stay as long as you want.

The evening is the best time for the Marketplace. For a quick and tasty dinner try Earl of Sandwich. The best deal in food at WDW.[/QUOTE]

WOW thank you so much! At AK we did do EE, but not the Nemo show, at HWS we do want to do Toy Story Mania, so thank you for the tip, and at Epcot, Soarin was open and it is a must do for us.

Yes we are driving and both us and my parents have AAA so I will try to get that pass. Question about the past do you still have to pay for the parking and it just gets you up closer to the entrance or does it include parking? Which sounds too good to be true lol.

I love to go to the Boardwalk but not sure we will have time this trip, but then again it is going to be crazy busy and we might just need that break from the crowds.
Thank you agin for your repy!:happy:

A few things new:
-Parking is up to $14 a day now since you’re staying off-site.
-Since Toontown has closed Mickey and Minnie have moved to Town Hall where you can now FP that attraction instead of waiting in line. To my knowledge that’s the only Character spot you can FP.
-The “New Management” at the Tiki Room has been fired, literally and the original stars have returned.
-Speaking of returning, SpectoMagic is out and the Mainstreet Electrical Light Parade has gone bi-coastal.
-Another blast from the past has happened over at EP- Honey I Shrunk the Audience has pulled an Elvis and left the building for the return of MJ’s Captain Eo. They say 80’s are retro…I guess so :laugh:
-Italy and Mexico both added another TS so if you were one to stake out a table at Mexico for Illuminations don’t plan on scoring one now, it’s just not the same. There’s a big wall in the way. (No not THAT Wall, he’s over in Germany having a beer;) You won’t catch Boss in the Fountains either since he’ll probably be in the new Tequilla Bar inside Mexico. Well, maybe a few depending on how many shots he takes.:ph34r:
-Head to DTD and you’ll notice a lot of changes, but mostly with the Restaurants. A lot more to come there.

That’s all I can think of now. I’ll come back later if something else pops in my mind.

[QUOTE=Maria;1098551]Yes we are driving and both us and my parents have AAA so I will try to get that pass. Question about the past do you still have to pay for the parking and it just gets you up closer to the entrance or does it include parking? Which sounds too good to be true lol.
:[/QUOTE]

You know…I don’t know that.:huh: We have DVC and annual passes, so we just show one of those - I didn’t even think about whether the gold pass gets you free parking…,maybe someone knows the answer…

I forgot to tell you if you want to have a sit down meal, make sure you have reservations, because I haven’t heard of anyone just walking up and getting a table in a long time. Also if your in Hollywood studios try and see Fantasmic it’s a really good show but at certain times of the year it’s only on certain nights.

It’s not free. It is the AAA Diamond Parking Area. It is right up front along side the handicap parking area. It makes for a quick entrance/exit when park hopping. We use the pass and parking spots since we hop so much when we went. The real advantage is at EP, HS and AK. We can be in the car and at another park in 10-15 minutes park to park from either of the 3 I mentioned. MK still requires getting back to the parking area.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1098556]A few things new:
-Parking is up to $14 a day now since you’re staying off-site.
-Since Toontown has closed Mickey and Minnie have moved to Town Hall where you can now FP that attraction instead of waiting in line. To my knowledge that’s the only Character spot you can FP.
-The “New Management” at the Tiki Room has been fired, literally and the original stars have returned.
-Speaking of returning, SpectoMagic is out and the Mainstreet Electrical Light Parade has gone bi-coastal.
-Another blast from the past has happened over at EP- Honey I Shrunk the Audience has pulled an Elvis and left the building for the return of MJ’s Captain Eo. They say 80’s are retro…I guess so :laugh:
-Italy and Mexico both added another TS so if you were one to stake out a table at Mexico for Illuminations don’t plan on scoring one now, it’s just not the same. There’s a big wall in the way. (No not THAT Wall, he’s over in Germany having a beer;) You won’t catch Boss in the Fountains either since he’ll probably be in the new Tequilla Bar inside Mexico. Well, maybe a few depending on how many shots he takes.:ph34r:
-Head to DTD and you’ll notice a lot of changes, but mostly with the Restaurants. A lot more to come there.

That’s all I can think of now. I’ll come back later if something else pops in my mind.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for telling me the cost of the parking I was thinking it would be around $15.00 per day. Hmm I think I saw the Mainstreet Electrical Parade years ago…or maybe not, not sure what the differance is, so I will be looking that up for sure. Thank you! Funny thing is even though I have been away for awhile I knew who you were talking about with “Boss” haha!

Thanks we have two already made, just need to make one more, but thank you for reminding me to look when Fantasmic is because my husband really wants to see it this trip and I totally forgot about it:blush:

Yeah, I thought free was too good to be! Thank you!

I need to keep up with this thread. We have not been since Christmas 2005…so seems there have been a lot of changes.