What to do concerning birthdays while traveling

During our trip to Tokyo we have 2 birthdays and another one right before we travel. Honestly Im not worried about my husband’s and mine. We will celebrate on the 10th (the day before we leave) like we have done every year since we started dating. Its the joy of having birthdays with only one day separating them (mines the 9th, his is the 11th). However, DD’s first birthday is the 13th so we will be over in Tokyo at the time. I still want to do something to commemorate it. I just don’t know what.We will be changing hotels that day from the New Sanno to the Sheraton which limits us as well because we have to bring our bags/luggage from one hotel to the other. Here are some ideas that I thought of:
Bring decorations and decorate the hotel. Make mini birthday “cakes” (I found a tutorial on how to make oreos look like mini cakes).
Go to Chef Mickeys- but they don’t take reservations to day of so I don’t know if that will be a possibility or not.

Now Im drawing a blank :blush:… I don’t know what else we can do. Should I bring some of the gifts with me or not? Should we just not worry about it and do something when we get back? I know shes not going to remember one way or the other but I want to do something for her. You only turn 1 once.
What do you all think?

I would have a party when you get back. I know your child is the smartest one on the face of the earth and knows the exact day of her birth, but cake and ice cream is good any day. It would be less stress on you. Maybe pack an " I’m the birthday girl" shirt or something like that . I find there are times I spent so much time and energy on the “stuff”, I lose the moment.

I agree. For the first birthday it’s always fun to have friends and family around for a celebration party. I would keep it small while traveling and let it wait or do it before leaving.

I agree above keep it small and simple while traveling and a blow out when you get back.

Shes not going to know the difference now but my parents didn’t do anything for my brother’s first birthday and thus doesn’t have pictures of it. He still gets upset when we bring out the few pictures we have of him as a baby. Also, my 2 year old would ask why Lexi isn’t getting a gift since shes really into fairness right now (she got upset with me the other day because I made her a new skirt and I didn’t make the baby one)

We aren’t doing a blow out since we have no close friends and family here. Basically all our friends and family are state side so we are going to have a big party next year for her second and our others fourth. Basically this trip is our “blow out” party for all 3 of us and an early gift for our older daughter.

DH called up the restaurant and found out if we tell them 3 days in advance they will make a small cake and hat for her with no extra cost. We will probably do that and bring one gift (her birthday outfit) so she can wear it. We don’t give many gifts for birthdays so whatever else we get her Ill probably have her open the day before so we can post pictures for my in-laws.

[QUOTE=WishIWasThere;985943]Shes not going to know the difference now but my parents didn’t do anything for my brother’s first birthday and thus doesn’t have pictures of it. He still gets upset when we bring out the few pictures we have of him as a baby. Also, my 2 year old would ask why Lexi isn’t getting a gift since shes really into fairness right now (she got upset with me the other day because I made her a new skirt and I didn’t make the baby one)

We aren’t doing a blow out since we have no close friends and family here. Basically all our friends and family are state side so we are going to have a big party next year for her second and our others fourth. Basically this trip is our “blow out” party for all 3 of us and an early gift for our older daughter.

DH called up the restaurant and found out if we tell them 3 days in advance they will make a small cake and hat for her with no extra cost. We will probably do that and bring one gift (her birthday outfit) so she can wear it. We don’t give many gifts for birthdays so whatever else we get her Ill probably have her open the day before so we can post pictures for my in-laws.[/QUOTE]

Well first, your 2 yr old (sorry I don’t know her name :redface:) is a great big sister, being so concerned about her little sister.:wub: I didn’t understand all the details about family and distance before. It sounds the plan with the cake and hats at dinner is perfect. I was just concerned you were thinking of packing a suitcase with just party stuff and getting stressed over decorations. So as long as you get a picture of her with a hat on her head (more or less) and cake all over her face with a great big toothy smile…well, you know the saying …a picture is worth a thousand words.:heart::heart::wub::wub: