What to do?

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m taking my Mom to WDW in December. She hasn’t been there in 30 years. :ohmy: I want to make this a special trip for her.:heart: We’re doing the Candlelight show, the Christmas party and I’m thinking about Cirque De Soliel (sp?). Does anyone have any other suggestions? I would like to hear your thoughts about the Cirque show if you’ve seen it. Thanks.

Cirque is an awesome show!

You are going to have so much fun!!! I just took my Mom this past April for a Mom/Daughter trip. We had so much fun, we decided in November to “extend” the trip and go back. We really didn’t plan anything like you are doing, so don’t have any suggestions there, but wanted to let you know that with your Mom not being there for over 30 years, she may tire out sooner than you expect. That’s what happened with my Mom. I was in my normal state, full steam ahead, and Mom was keeping up, but by the afternoon, I could really tell she was struggling. After taking a break, and realizing that we needed to slow down, the rest of the trip was actually wonderful. I saw so much more moving at a slower pace, and then Mom was enjoying it a lot better too.

My mom and I enjoyed doing afternoon tea at the GF on one of the mother/daugther trips we took. Very relaxing and not at all stuffy.

Funny, I never gave it thought that my Mom may not move at the pace we’re used to. She’s always been such a powerhouse. I have hard time of thinking of her as aging. Something to consider. My husband and daughter will be going as well. I’m excited that Shannon will have Grandmom on this trip.

Christine, by all means, take your mom to the cirque. It’s something you’ll all talk about for a long time. :wub: I’ve never heard anyone say they didn’t enjoy it.

I think your mum would love Cirque and it sounds like you have some great plans too. What a lovely trip that will be.

Now remember that just being at WDW is something and a lot for someone your mother’s age!
I wouldn’t plan too much if I were you.

Cirque du soleil is wonderful. A stunning show.
From what I hear, the Candlelight processional is wonderful as well.

I think taking her around on different Disney transportation and showing her the Christmas decorations in all the resorts would be wonderful too

[QUOTE=Dopey;1018988]Now remember that just being at WDW is something and a lot for someone your mother’s age!
I wouldn’t plan too much if I were you.

Cirque du soleil is wonderful. A stunning show.
From what I hear, the Candlelight processional is wonderful as well.

I think taking her around on different Disney transportation and showing her the Christmas decorations in all the resorts would be wonderful too[/QUOTE]

Yes, I love seeing all of the beautiful Christmas decor. I think I need to talk to mom about her capabilities and not to assume. That might get me in trouble…

Last year on our trip my DH and I surprised my parents with tickets to Cirque. They loved it. This year they went for a trip just the two of them and they also did the new balloon ride in DTD (the name is escaping me right now). They loved it and got some great pictures of some gorgeous views.
You could do a spa treatment together, or some special dinners or dinner/shows that you may enjoy. We love the Luau at the Poly.

It sounds like you have a wonderful and memorable trip planned, enjoy!

Very true, I love the afternoon tea at the GF. with a glass of champagne some pate’ and quiet surroundings…wonderful

Oh yes! Do the Tea! My daughter and I did it in January and it was so wonderful! From now on it’s on my “must do” list. Also, it would just be nice to visit a few of the resorts to look at the Christmas trees and decorations. The GF tree and gingerbread house are wonderful!

Definately take her to Cirque…she will love it. I have never been, but haven’t ever heard anything but glowing reviews about it. I have no other suggestions, but do spend time with the shows etc. She will appreciate them the most I think.

Cirque is so awesome, it’s worth taking the time to see it. We only been once but my whole family loved it. My DH said no to it twice based on ticket prices but once I finally got him there he agreed it was worth the price and would gladly go back again.

[QUOTE=Mickey Mom;1018990]Last year on our trip my DH and I surprised my parents with tickets to Cirque. They loved it. This year they went for a trip just the two of them and they also did the new balloon ride in DTD (the name is escaping me right now). They loved it and got some great pictures of some gorgeous views.
You could do a spa treatment together, or some special dinners or dinner/shows that you may enjoy. We love the Luau at the Poly.

It sounds like you have a wonderful and memorable trip planned, enjoy![/QUOTE]

Oh, the balloon ride. I never gave that a thought. I’ll have to consider that. The tea at GF sounds nice too. I’ve decided that Cirque is on the list.Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Thoughts on Cirque:
You will love it and so will she!
Be sure to not be too close… the expensive seats are the low, close rows, but IMHO, the best seats are up higher, so shoot for the second price tier if you can! No need to spend the big bucks AT ALL! Truly one of those “not a bad seat in the house” places.
Also, go early, to enjoy the pre-show. The performers do a lot in the crowd befor ethe show (again, about halfway up the seats).
And be sure to go to the bathroom! They are so cool!