What was my DH thinking!

5 days before we are to leave my DH gets up on our porch roof to was the siding, and guess what? you got it he fell of the roof broke his arm in 2 places. Not sure what that holds for the trip guess we need to wait and see.:eek:

So he is out on pain meds right now, stating that nothing is going to stop us from going. So we will see what happens.

Never broke an arm. only an ankle twice. Are you flying? I thought I read something about the change in air pressure doesn’t work well with casts. Maybe the limb swells?
Not trying to be a downer, but you don’t want to find out there’s a problem 20,000 ft up.
I sure someone has flown with a broken limb will come along a give some good advice.

But the best to your DH, hope it heals quickly.

My son broke his arm the summer before last and was fine when flying. He had to have surgery so it was a major break. They will give a seperate search of the cast at the airport and swipe it for the chemical make-up on the cast. Give yourself a little extra time for that.
I would think your husband will be fine by then. The heat might just make the cast more itchy. I was able to find something that went over the cast so he could swim. My son wasn’t thrilled with using it but did so he could swim at least a couple of times.

[QUOTE=dancing4disney;1049047]My son broke his arm the summer before last and was fine when flying. He had to have surgery so it was a major break. They will give a seperate search of the cast at the airport and swipe it for the chemical make-up on the cast. Give yourself a little extra time for that.
I would think your husband will be fine by then. The heat might just make the cast more itchy. I was able to find something that went over the cast so he could swim. My son wasn’t thrilled with using it but did so he could swim at least a couple of times.[/QUOTE]

Glad you posted. I wasn’t sure about my swelling advice, but thought I’d throw it out there. Good to know he’ll be ok with the flying.

Sounds like the thing my dad did. My parent were to go down to Florida in May not to Disney but a Henderson Beach. The day before Easter he was on the top of their trailer and feel getting back onto the ladder. He feel and broke his heel so there went the Florida trip.
At least it is an arm…yes they are handy but they do not hurt with every step. I hope you all have a great time still.

I say…LEAVE HIM HOME!!:whistling
Why dont DH’s listen??? I could see mine doing the same thing!!:glare:

I dont know about the flying part but i do know from experience that casts are itchy when they are sweaty. Although there is some kind of new cast that is out that you are able to get wet. Maybe that wouldnt be so bad?

I’ve gone with a broken arm. The only ride that was uncomfortable was Primeval Whirl. I bet Dinosaur would have been as well, but didn’t ride it. Stayed away from water rides too. Still had a good time. Especially if he has the pain meds to take while there.:biggrin:

YIKES!! That stinks. I hope he is feeling better soon, and that the broken arm doesn’t stand in the way of a good time.

I saw a boy, with a cast on his arm, swimming in the pool, and going down water slides. He didn’t have any water proof device covering the cast. Do they make casts that you can get wet now? Hope so!

[QUOTE=Goodegirl2007;1049124]YIKES!! That stinks. I hope he is feeling better soon, and that the broken arm doesn’t stand in the way of a good time.

I saw a boy, with a cast on his arm, swimming in the pool, and going down water slides. He didn’t have any water proof device covering the cast. Do they make casts that you can get wet now? Hope so![/QUOTE]

My friends son recently broke his arm and he told me he was able to go into the water with it. I guess they do make them waterproof now.

I hope he feels better soon and is right that it won’t get in the way of a good time!

Thank goodness the fall wasn’t any worse than it was, and I am wishing your DH a speedy recovery.

I think that as long as they use a fiberglass cast you should be able to get it wet. and let me tell you if that happened to me I still would find a way to get on Vacation with it if at all possible. But than again I take Vacations very seriousily in nature gotta have them if at all possible. Good Luck and pixie dust your way.

We are seeing the ortho doc in am and we will see, we will hopefully be going. I have waited 2 years for this trip! And he really wants to go, so as long as tyhey can cast it so he is comfortable we should be ok. The hard part is he is a bus driver and will be out of work for 3 months. So I am feeling guilty about taking this trip , even though I had paid for it up front, the next 3 months are going to be tough. I guess that is a good reason to go enjoy ourselves, RIGHT? And thank you guys for all your thoughts and prayers.

They do make a waterproof cast. You have to pay about $50 extra for it. However, my son couldn’t use it as he had incisions which were still healing. We had to purchase the plastic cover.
I am sorry your husband will be out of work for so long. I am happy I have insurance that covers my pay if I have to be out for long on medical leave.
Just enjoy your trip and worry about everything else later.

Hey… No DH bashing please !!!

My DW says I never listen to her or something like that , it’s hard to figure out what she’s saying… :whistling

It sound like to me that his arm is broken … NOT his spirit !!!
Take care of him … And a Speedy recovery !!!

That’s grounds for divorce in most states, and solid defense for killing him in others. :laugh:

Use it to your advantage. When someone looks like they want to cut in line just point to the cast and shake you head the “No, I wouldn’t if I were you” look.

I did a 2 month southern tour in summer 1982 with a cast on my left arm.
The truck wasn’t air conditioned, but I survived. and let me tell you, when your the soundman and road manager for a band on tour, it’s a lot worse than going to a theme park for a vacation. Just keep the thing dry.

OH NO! I hope he heals soon!

In the weeks before we left on our trip, it seemed as if the kids were more and more adventurous. I was constantly shouting, “You’ll be sitting on a bench at the parks while mom rides the coasters!” as they swung from the top branches of trees.

We’ll send some pixie dust your way!

OMG! Can he still lift his beer?