What will this mean to WDW?

Disney union vote: Members of the Service Trades Council vote on contract - OrlandoSentinel.com

Doesn’t it mean less work for more unjustified pay passed on to the us the consumers?

I hope there is more to this than the article says or this sounds like a bunch of hogwash. I would pull every application on file out and put it in one HUGE GIANT HEEPING pile and say, “I understand your concerns and this is what we can do given the circumstances of the country’s economy right now and its uncertainty. We hope it is good enough. If it is not - this stack represents the REAL people that would be happy to take your job for what we are offering.”

I would imagine there are tens of thousands of people wanting to work at WDW and NOT partake in a Union. In fact, FL is one of the worst hit states in this unemployment crisis.

They didnt like the part of more specialized workers getting bigger bumps…uh DUHHH. Those workers have probaly sacrificed years of their lives to get degrees or to be trained in a trade just so they can put themselves in the position to get more $$$$…

Regardless of pro-union or not - I just dont think NOW is a time in our country to get too pushy with entities that EMPLOY people.

From what I hear, Disney is one of the better employers in many ways. However, it is just a business. The purpose is to make money for investors who have hundreds of millions of dollars in WDW. In doing so, it has single handly transformed swamp and scrub land into a thriving metro area, and provides thousands of jobs. What has the union invested?

It’s just a job. If you don’t like what it pays then leave and go get a job that pays what you think you are worth.

Mmm I have read that disney world earn about $35 billion a year.
Pay the workers a good wage for doing a good job. Just because FL has high unemployment it does not give employers the right to pay low wages and bad deals.

Disney need to step up to the plate and respect their staff.

[QUOTE=jimbo;1054120]Mmm I have read that disney world earn about $35 billion a year.
Pay the workers a good wage for doing a good job. Just because FL has high unemployment it does not give employers the right to pay low wages and bad deals.

Disney need to step up to the plate and respect their staff.[/QUOTE]

That is earnings not net profit. There net income for 2009 was 3.3 billion, which was over 1 billion $$$ behind 2008. That is an awful lot behind the previous year. And WDW IS putting profits to good use - they are giving us the consumer - the biggest expansion to date to a park - and I am sure that this will also provide many new jobs for the area.
It is business - I have employees in different positions - and every year we evaluate our financials and we have to set caps to what certain employees can make at that position - if they are worth more, then they will find someone who can pay them - and believe me, in this market we can find someone to take their position alot cheaper if they choose to leave. But the caps are for those who excel and not EVERYONE.
In a down economy - that EVERYONE is scared to predict - I am very shocked they are giving across the board 3% raises and EXPANDING at the same time. That is 2 HUGE bullets to bite at the same time.

Of course, I don’t know all the details in the contract, but I agree with dadofthree. This is not the time to be snubbing any job in which you are offered a raise with the forecast of better things to come with company expansion.

As far as some jobs earning more, come on! Some professions deserve more money and for these people to think otherwise is ridiculous.

I think this boils down to greed.

I also do agree, they are getting a raise and yes more specialized positions get bigger raise, that’s the way it is. Employees do have to consider alot of things today. Yes, be thankful for a job and they are offering a raise. wonder what the big stumbling blocks are to not ratify by that percentage. healthcare isn’t mentioned. It’s hard today. 10-15 years ago you could hold out for better, but I just don’t think it’s there today.

so what will this mean if they don’t ratify. If they go on strike, are the parks closed?

I honestly think they are being selfish during these times, and if they strike, fire them. I’m sure they would be able to replace them with the thousands of applications they receive on a daily basis. I bet the new hires will probably be better workers as they appreciate having a job. Sounds like a win, win situation to me.