What's allowable in carry-on luggage

Usually we fly Air Canada where we are allowed one checked bag for free. This time we are flying Delta and there is NO WAY I’m going to pay for checked luggage, so we’re going to do carry-on only. I know you’re allowed to take liquids under 3 oz (I’m sitting here trying to convert ounces into ml…) if it’s in a ziplock bag and I’ve never had problems with taking a lipstick; but can I take mascara? Can I take make-up? Can I take tweezers and a nail clipper?

TSA: Prohibited Items

Try this link

TSA Permitted/Prohibited Items

That’s the list. There’s also a link on that page about liquids. It’s my experience that unless an item is specifically on that list, it’s good. I don’t think the TSA agents at the airport are at all encouraged to think for themselves.

Makeup is fine as long as it goes by the 3oz rule.

Personally, I find it all pretty stupid and lacking in a lot of sense. For instance, no one even blinks at the bungee cords we always take through security (we have a really wonderful system for getting the carseat through the airport that requires bungee cords). But really… I can quickly think of several ways I could cause some serious mischief with bungee cords.

You can’t bring any sort of gel, even gel shoe inserts, but there are a bunch of exceptions for children’s gel teethers and stuff. Wow, good thing anyone thinking about causing any problems can’t read THAT page. :pinch:

Hmmm - I guess I better leave my ice axe and meat cleaver at home…and my blasting caps. Cattle prods???:laugh:

Thanks for the list! Let’s face it - what bureauracy ever has made any sense? I hate to think of what you’ve got planned for the bungee cords.:glare:

If you want extra special treatment pack a tupperware container with some batteries, wire, a block of play-dough and a digital watch.

They will give you a special pat down massage, “backstage tour” of the airport, and you will love the bracelet!

[QUOTE=Andrea;1040609]TSA Permitted/Prohibited Items

That’s the list. There’s also a link on that page about liquids. It’s my experience that unless an item is specifically on that list, it’s good. I don’t think the TSA agents at the airport are at all encouraged to think for themselves.

Makeup is fine as long as it goes by the 3oz rule.

Personally, I find it all pretty stupid and lacking in a lot of sense. For instance, no one even blinks at the bungee cords we always take through security (we have a really wonderful system for getting the carseat through the airport that requires bungee cords). But really… I can quickly think of several ways I could cause some serious mischief with bungee cords.

You can’t bring any sort of gel, even gel shoe inserts, but there are a bunch of exceptions for children’s gel teethers and stuff. Wow, good thing anyone thinking about causing any problems can’t read THAT page. :pinch:[/QUOTE]

Not to thread jack, but please share the Bungee/carseat method. I am about to fly alone with both babies. I need all the help I can get!

Are you bringing the car seats with you on the plane for the kids to sit in?

In any case, I use the bungee cords to attach the carseat to the stroller in the sitting position. Once the seat is on the stroller, just put the baby in the attached carseat. I don’t see any reason that wouldn’t work with the double stroller in your picture.

The stroller itself gets gate-checked so I’ve got it for the longest possible time.

[QUOTE=tigger;1040614]If you want extra special treatment pack a tupperware container with some batteries, wire, a block of play-dough and a digital watch.

They will give you a special pat down massage, “backstage tour” of the airport, and you will love the bracelet![/QUOTE]

LMAO…

Will Disney allow you to send a package to the resort and then when you get there it would be waiting for you?

[QUOTE=brit;1040642]LMAO…

Will Disney allow you to send a package to the resort and then when you get there it would be waiting for you?[/QUOTE]

I had the same question. I know that UPS now has a service that you ship your stuff in a luggage looking box.

For us mascara has to go in our clear bag I’m sure Janice as they class it as a liquid, same with lip ‘gloss’. No tweezers, or scissors either! And any liquid has to be no more than 100ml and in the clear plastic bag.
However, once through security, large liquid items may be purchased and taken on board the aircraft. (that may be just UK though)

Send a box w/ clothes ahead of time to the front desk for them to hold.

Reading all the posts above. Good thing someone who was going to cause “problems” didn’t bring a child as cover…:laugh:

[QUOTE=dixie;1040677]For us mascara has to go in our clear bag I’m sure Janice as they class it as a liquid, same with lip ‘gloss’. No tweezers, or scissors either! And any liquid has to be no more than 100ml and in the clear plastic bag.
However, once through security, large liquid items may be purchased and taken on board the aircraft. (that may be just UK though)[/QUOTE]

I think the UK are even stricter than the US. Our airport isn’t big (although we are building a new one - well not “me” exactly - but you know what I mean and the Queen was the first person to walk through it when she was here a couple of weeks ago - I digress) and we don’t have any stores on the other side of security - (can you picture that Karen - after Heathrow???:laugh:), just this little waiting area with a few magazines and water, so I think I’ll just wait until I get to Orlando. We always do a big shop first thing, so I’ll pick up what I need then. I always consider Publix our first Disney attraction.

:laugh:Oh Janice, sorry, I now get the picture! That sounds very much like the city airport that Chelsey has to use in Paderborn, Germany. And, we consider, Wal Mart our first Disney attraction…I know I know!!! but we love it:laugh:

Our airport isn’t really small…but nothing like the big “hub” airports. Actually, I kind of like it. None of the craziness. Although I do love shopping at Heathrow!

Things you don’t get at home are always more intriguing.:laugh: My daughter kept telling me about Target’s own grocery brand and saying “they’re SO PRETTY”. I didn’t have a clue what she was talking about until we went to a Super-Target in January and she was right! The packaging for all these different foods - we were stroking the packages and going “oh, they’re SO PRETTY”. Talk about merchandising working! - I bought stuff just because the package was so pretty. I’m so excited to go again and stroke the packages.:laugh:

Don’t forget that lipstick, chapstick and non-gel deodorant do not need to go in the baggie. I made that mistake and didn’t have enough room!
The TSA really goes overboard sometimes.
I had a baby fingernail scissors taken flying BACK from Mexico once- less than 1 inch tips and they let me take it there…through customs and all just not home. It was a bummer because I had it since I was a baby and left it in my luggage for years for the little odds and ends that need clipping. I could have done more damage with my bag full of coffee mugs! LOL!

Oh my Llama… ROFL! Well, I am sure glad we can accommodate!

[QUOTE=Andrea;1040623]Are you bringing the car seats with you on the plane for the kids to sit in?

In any case, I use the bungee cords to attach the carseat to the stroller in the sitting position. Once the seat is on the stroller, just put the baby in the attached carseat. I don’t see any reason that wouldn’t work with the double stroller in your picture.

The stroller itself gets gate-checked so I’ve got it for the longest possible time.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Andrea! Thats a great idea! I was trying to figure out a way to wear it as a ‘backpack’ or attach it to my rolling carryon. The stroller is a WAY better plan. To answer your Q, I will be taking one car seat and lap holding the other baby. Should be an interesting couple hours! :laugh:

I’ve done the carseat-on-rolling bag thing. Bungee cords, again. :laugh: The only thing that wasn’t great about that is that the carseat tends to prevent the rolling bag from standing on its own- you let go of it and the whole thing just faaaaallllllls over. (Usually in slow motion. :laugh:)

You’re going to do great. The one thing that really works for me is the mindset for going through security: It’s going to take a long time. You’re going to be as organized and efficient as you can be, but it’s going to take a while. And anyone who gives you evil looks can just get over themselves. It’s not like you have a choice, or you’re trying to annoy anyone on purpose. Kids take time.

One actual advantage you have over me is that the double stroller won’t go through the regular x-ray. So you can keep one boy in the stroller, let out the one in the carseat, and put the carseat on the conveyor while both boys are in the stroller. And if they try to hurry you with “they’re going to have to get out of the stroller” just smile, take your time with getting your stuff through x-ray, and then worry about getting the kids out of the stroller.

One thing at a time, don’t get overwhelmed. Sometimes you get really helpful TSA agents, sometimes they’re just jerks.

Are you suggesting that you can stuff a child in a carry on!! :eek: I am shocked! :eek:

[QUOTE=Andrea;1040851]I’ve done the carseat-on-rolling bag thing. Bungee cords, again. :laugh: The only thing that wasn’t great about that is that the carseat tends to prevent the rolling bag from standing on its own- you let go of it and the whole thing just faaaaallllllls over. (Usually in slow motion. :laugh:)

You’re going to do great. The one thing that really works for me is the mindset for going through security: It’s going to take a long time. You’re going to be as organized and efficient as you can be, but it’s going to take a while. And anyone who gives you evil looks can just get over themselves. It’s not like you have a choice, or you’re trying to annoy anyone on purpose. Kids take time.

One actual advantage you have over me is that the double stroller won’t go through the regular x-ray. So you can keep one boy in the stroller, let out the one in the carseat, and put the carseat on the conveyor while both boys are in the stroller. And if they try to hurry you with “they’re going to have to get out of the stroller” just smile, take your time with getting your stuff through x-ray, and then worry about getting the kids out of the stroller.

One thing at a time, don’t get overwhelmed. Sometimes you get really helpful TSA agents, sometimes they’re just jerks.[/QUOTE]

The security part scares me the most. The boys will TAKE OFF when they get out of the stroller–probably in two directions. I never considered ‘kid’ leashes before, but I sorta am now!