What's is like at MK the weekend of the Christmas taping?

This Dec we are staying at BLT. We made an ADR for Chrystal Palace for 8:10 for breakfast on Dec 3. We never ate breakfast there and we wanted to experience that “walking into an almost empty MK” moment. But now I’m wondering, will the walk down main street be busy even before the official opening. I know the park will be busy that day, but we weren’t planning on hanging around. Our thought was walk over to MK from BLT, eat breakfast,maybe hit a ride or two and head out. Maybe I should try for another day?

You should be good that early in the AM unless the schedule has a morning EMH. If the park has not opened yet, remember to have a copy of your ADR to ensure a quick pass through the gates. And that early in the month you might be suprised and not have to run for the gates due to the crowds even though it is a Saturday.

I’m not even sure of the early EMH. It used to be thur, but perhaps it changed. I was concerned with the taping they might let “the crowd” people in early or maybe lots of production people doing stuff getting ready for the taping. Just looking forward to the Ahhhh moment of walking down an almost empty main street.

What’s it like the weekend of the taping? Dead. Most of the guests are regular park guests and they have no clue they are taping at the MK. They just stumble upon it.

The week of Thanksgiving is always busy, but the first 2 weeks of December are dead as a doornail. You should be fine. Hopefully I’ll see you at Crystal Palace since I’m usually a captain there!

Reminds me of a friend who suggested we go for Christmas Day…

“We saw the parade and the crowds weren’t bad at all.”

I told him to check the Orlando weather. It was horrible with thunderstorms, yet the sky was chamber of commerce picture perfect! :laugh:

[QUOTE=RowdyRAider;1078766]What’s it like the weekend of the taping? Dead. Most of the guests are regular park guests and they have no clue they are taping at the MK. They just stumble upon it.

The week of Thanksgiving is always busy, but the first 2 weeks of December are dead as a doornail. You should be fine. Hopefully I’ll see you at Crystal Palace since I’m usually a captain there![/QUOTE]

I usually a Major, Captain.

Well, now I must go! :happy:

I would think the earlier you are there, the better. Because, it was not "dead"when we were there two years ago on the day of taping. It was nearly impossible to maneuver about the park. We got stuck on Main Street, and just decided to leave and hop to another park. It was not enjoyable for us. I usually don’t even mind crowds, but it was too much for me.

We don’t care too much about the park during the whole day. I seem to recall a few yrs ago, we went into the park and was herded thru a gate and walked behind main st and came out near tomorrowland because of the taping. We usually use Saturdays as our resort day anyway. I want main st to be empty empty between 7:50 and 8:10. After this, elephants and twelve marching bands can take over, I just want my moment. :laugh:

I was there that same day, and I can second that! Also, since they set up early for the taping, I think it would actually be far less than empty walking down Main Street for your ADR. If your aim was to get the experience of a nearly empty MK, I would consider doing it on another day.

[QUOTE=RowdyRAider;1078766]What’s it like the weekend of the taping? Dead. Most of the guests are regular park guests and they have no clue they are taping at the MK. They just stumble upon it.

The week of Thanksgiving is always busy, but the first 2 weeks of December are dead as a doornail. You should be fine. Hopefully I’ll see you at Crystal Palace since I’m usually a captain there![/QUOTE]

What is the captain at Crystal Palace? We have reservations there for breakfast when we go in October. I love their breakfast!

That’s what I’m afraid would happen. I believe disney has fri, sat, and sun. set aside for taping. Anybody know for sure?

“Captain” position means I’m in charge of the Entertainment at Crystal Palace, meaning I take care of Pooh and the gang as well as their attendants.

Of my 8 Christmases working at WDW, I’ve never seen an overwhelming crowd on days of filming. Must have just been bad timing :laugh: They have alternate gates open to avoid Main Street that take you backstage and around Main Street.

Trust me gang it’s safe to go on days of filming. It’s NOT safe to go the last 2 weeks of December :laugh:

[QUOTE=RowdyRAider;1079054]Of my 8 Christmases working at WDW, I’ve never seen an overwhelming crowd on days of filming. Must have just been bad timing :laugh: They have alternate gates open to avoid Main Street that take you backstage and around Main Street.

Trust me gang it’s safe to go on days of filming. It’s NOT safe to go the last 2 weeks of December :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Oh it most certainly was bad timing. I am the queen of bad timing. :slight_smile: