Wheel Chairs

So I just read someone’s post about strollers and it made me realize that this would be the best place to ask my question. I hope you all don’t mind.

I’m 26 years old and I just had major knee reconstructive surgery last November. To make a very long story short, They had to take a tendon from somewhere else in my leg and move it to the inside of my leg where it could hold my knee cap in the correct place. Can we say OUCH! Oh you better believe it. lol

I had 6 months of physical therapy and it’s still hard to walk up stairs. Not to mention how hard it is to stand in one place for very long or do an hour’s worth of groceries with out pain. Now this is with orthotic, hand made shoe inserts too. I’m back seeing my physical therapist for an issue with my ankles now. I know, I feel 80 years old already and i’m only 26.

My problem lies with all the walking that needs to be done while we’re in Disney. My question is, do I need a doctor’s note in order to get a wheel Chair or can we just go in and say “hey, I need a wheel chair” I don’t want one of those electric ones…as my father has already said he’d have no problem pushing me. While I feel horrible, I know I’d only be a hindrance to everyone else if I walked so I accepted the offer.

• Drea

You won’t need a note, in fact, it’s against the law to ask someone to prove they have a disability. You can just walk up and rent a wheelchair.

I would suggest you rent a wheelchair from an outside company if you think you will need it daily. There’s a chance that a park may be out of wheelchairs when you need one, especially if you’re going to park hop.

By the way, welcome to MouseBuzz. My DH had ACL surgery a few years ago but nothing like yours.

Yeah… anyone can rent a wheelchair. I think renting one from an outside company would be a good idea. If you rent a wheelchair at the parks daily, you can’t take it with you when you leave (you can get a new wheelchair at the next park by showing your receipt, though, as long as they still have them). You’d also have to stand in a rather long line in the mornings. Renting a wheelchair for the length of your stay from another company would assure that you have a wheelchair at all times. The World is huge, and a lot of walking and standing is involved, so you’re definitely going to want a wheelchair.

Here’s some outside companies in the Orlando area:
Wheelchair Rentals Orlando / Disney World - CARE Medical Equipment
Walker Mobility Wheeled electric scooter & wheelchair rental products
Scooter Rental Orlando for disney world, Wheelchair Rentals Orlando

Also, if you need to exit your wheelchair to stand in a long line, they make golf spectator seats - little seats that fold out and double as a walking cane. Maybe you could carry one with you to help get through the lines or into restaurants (they do have special wheelchair entrances for attractions, though, but this could help out if you wanted to FastPass or maybe even with the sometimes long restroom lines).

Here’s a few examples:
Walking stick and spectator seat
Golf Warehouse Atlanta
Imprinted Golf Spectator Seat Cane - GFC80

Check out whether you’d prefer a wheelchair or a scooter. I have no idea about prices or availability, but we looked into it for MIL so nobody needed to push her. Do you have a preference?

[QUOTE=sacredrose;974852]So I just read someone’s post about strollers and it made me realize that this would be the best place to ask my question. I hope you all don’t mind.

I’m 26 years old and I just had major knee reconstructive surgery last November. To make a very long story short, They had to take a tendon from somewhere else in my leg and move it to the inside of my leg where it could hold my knee cap in the correct place. Can we say OUCH! Oh you better believe it. lol

I had 6 months of physical therapy and it’s still hard to walk up stairs. Not to mention how hard it is to stand in one place for very long or do an hour’s worth of groceries with out pain. Now this is with orthotic, hand made shoe inserts too. I’m back seeing my physical therapist for an issue with my ankles now. I know, I feel 80 years old already and i’m only 26.

My problem lies with all the walking that needs to be done while we’re in Disney. My question is, do I need a doctor’s note in order to get a wheel Chair or can we just go in and say “hey, I need a wheel chair” I don’t want one of those electric ones…as my father has already said he’d have no problem pushing me. While I feel horrible, I know I’d only be a hindrance to everyone else if I walked so I accepted the offer.

• Drea[/QUOTE]

We rent scooters everytime because my DW has had two back surgeries and has no endurance for walking. As you already heard you don’t need any kind of “proof”. WDW is designed so it’s very easy to get around in the parks and everywhere else. The biggest problem are really the shops because of the narrow aisles, but DW can usually stand long enough in them. I’m sure the same is true for wheelchairs. However, realize that pushing a wheelchair up to 12 miles a day (typical walking in the parks) is a tall order.

You will definitely get a better deal renting outside the 'World, but we trade that for convenience. At WDW, scooter and wheelchair rentals work just like the strollers–you rent for the day and if you switch parks just take your receipt. That way you’re not having to haul around a scooter all day. With a wheelchair of course this is less of a problem (just stow it in the trunk).

Good luck and welcome to MB!

Liek the other’s have said, you don’t need a note to rent a wheelchair. To avoid standing in the lines which could really cause your knee and ankle more pain, I belive you are eligible for a Special Assistance pass which will allow you to use your wheel chair right up until the time you board. I think you need a doctor’s note for that pass.

We once rented a wheelchair for myself while in Disney. In 2002 during my seventh month of our first pregnancy we went to Disney. I had so much leg/foot swelling that it was hard for me to be on my feet for any length of time. We rented a wheelchair just like a stroller, no note required. In fact, many rides I was going to just park my wheelchair outside and walk in line, but the CMs wouldn’t hear of it and usually let us take the wheelchair right up to the ride. They were extremely accomodating.

[QUOTE=sacredrose;974852]So I just read someone’s post about strollers and it made me realize that this would be the best place to ask my question. I hope you all don’t mind.

• Drea[/QUOTE]

I’m facing a similar situation. I’ve recently learned that I have stress fractures in one of my legs and I have a trip coming up at the start of December. I’m not a fan of ECVs and my mom has agreed to push me some of the time in a standard wheelchair. I’m looking in to renting one for the length of our stay from an Orlando area company.

Did you rent just a standard wheelchair or a ECV? I have just found out I have stress fractures in my leg and I’m looking at renting a standard wheelchair from an Orlando area company for the length of our stay. I can do some walking but my leg does start hurting if I walk too much but I don’t want to be tied to an ECV. How was it for the person pushing you everyday if you were in a standard wheelchair?

I think pushing a wheel chair every day for several days could get hard. We have a friend who is paralyzed and in a wheel chair. We went to Cedar Point with them once and even the one day of pushing we all took turns to help her. She even did alot on her own. It’s hard to lean over and push and walk.

I can vouch for this. We just came back from a 3-day trip where we pushed my daughter (fractured ankle) in a wheelchair. It’s surprising how many hills there are in the parks. I did 90% of the pushing, and I’m glad to be home.

Bruce

The stress fracture is in my leg so I am mobile to an extent and I do want the ability to be able to get up and walk around and with a pushable wheelchair I’ll be able to do that and use the chair as a form of crutches. With and ecv, i’m tied to the chair from the minute I sit down in it in the morning.