When do all the Christmas lights go up?

We are toying with the idea of taking our DGD to disney mid nov, if she can get out of school. She is already missing school for 5 days in sept, but it is kindergarten. I’m guessing Mickey’s Christmas party starts the day after Halloween or there abouts, so MK would be decorated. What about the other parks. I know the Christmas processional doesn’t start till Thanksgiving weekend but what about the fireworks and story tellers. Any guess on timing of the osbourne lights?

Last year we were there on about October 24, and they were putting up the Osborne lights. Not sure when it opens. However, the Mk is pretty decorated for Halloween. it might take them a few days to make that switch… Not sure when it would be complete…

we went nov. 14th last year and everything was up with the exception of the christmas tree in mk. i think it’s because of the christmas parade not filming until the first weekend in december. in november they had the wreaths and the lights up, then they took them down for the parade. they had a stage set up in the hub of mainstreet the weekend they filmed the parade, we went back on jan. 10th and they had the wreath’s back up, and the tree was where the stage had been. they start to put up the osbourne lights in august but don’t turn them on til the first or second week of november.

I’d say around Nov 2 they will start putting it all up! Whenever we go to the last MNSSHP, it seems like the NEXT day it’s Christmas! :laugh: Disney Magic.

I know they start putting up at DHS studios in early to mid October(Osborne) and the others after Halloween. They had a great show on HGTV where a couple of the designers got to watch and help with the decorating. It was quite an event.

Osborne Family lights is such an extensive installation that it takes literally weeks to put it all out and then to program and test.
The standard decorations pretty much are put out Thanksgiving week so that the day after Thanksgiving, all Christmas decorations are in place and lit and are pretty much pulled by January 2.

Last year it ran from Nov.10 to Jan. 4.

my husband’s cousin used to work as a lighting desinger for disney and would start work on the osbourne lights in early august!!! she said it would take them til right before opening and still some tweaking the first week or two to get it all done. that’s how crazy extensive the project is. now this is all professional people and there’s a bunch of them, could you imagine how long it took the osbourne family to put them up each year??? crazy!!!

Thanks for all the replies.

We’ll be there the week of Nov. 14th and MVMCP will be going a couple of nights so probably a week or so before that I would think. If you can make it, it is a great time to go!

I have not checked the schedules, so I wasn’t aware. If there are Christmas parties scheduled the week of Nov 14, then all MK decorations simply must all be in place by whatever day the first party happens.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1038823]Osborne Family lights is such an extensive installation that it takes literally weeks to put it all out and then to program and test.
The standard decorations pretty much are put out Thanksgiving week so that the day after Thanksgiving, all Christmas decorations are in place and lit and are pretty much pulled by January 2.[/QUOTE]

The Osborne Lights start-up date is listed as November 8.

Don’t worry about taking her out of kindergarten - what’s she going to miss? The letter “G”?

I was pretty blase about the Christmas lights until I saw the Osborne Lights last year - I was absolutely blown away! Definitely the highlight of our trip. If you can swing it - do it. They will take your breath away! Literally!

[QUOTE=llama;1040361]Don’t worry about taking her out of kindergarten - what’s she going to miss? The letter “G”?

I was pretty blase about the Christmas lights until I saw the Osborne Lights last year - I was absolutely blown away! Definitely the highlight of our trip. If you can swing it - do it. They will take your breath away! Literally![/QUOTE]

That’s my thoughts, but she’s not my kid, I don’t make the rules. Her mom (DD) just feels she is missing time in sept for disney, so missing another week, 5 weeks later wouldn’t be good.

Let’s just skip Halloween and Thanksgiving and set up for Christmas right after Labor Day.:dry:
(Says the man who needs 3 days for each of his two trees and 3 more days for the front yard:mickey:)

Seriously, it seems everywhere you go, Christmas “season”, or perhaps the commercial wind up for retail Christmas, starts earlier and earlier every year.
You’d think I didn’t like Christmas with a post like this, except I started the first Christmas ornament thread in Chit Chat this year.