When in December is it best to go?

Hi All

We are thinking about another trip to Disney World, our last trip being in the summer of 2004. Anyway, we thought it might be nice to go this Christmas as it would make a very different WDW experience, but prices are rather high and I seem to be reading a lot about big crowds. I did think about maybe going early December (6-13th ish) instead.

Which do you think would be best? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each option.

Thank you for any advice
Helen

we are going the 11 to the 17th i was told the crowds do not start until after that i hope they are right.

The beginning of December is always best. My family used to go the second week in December and crowds were not bad. But the closer you went to the holidays the larger the crowd. December is a great time to go!

Now we go around the end of September and it is more crowded at that time then when we used to visit in December.

I understand that the crowds are less at the beginning of December, but do you still get that Christmas atmosphere in early December? In what way is it better to go 25th Dec to 1st Jan?

DH’s and my 15th anniversary is December 10th. I’m trying to convince him that we should take a long weekend from Thursday the 10th until the following Sunday for a trip just for us. Somebody tell me those are the best dates for December to help me convice him!:laugh:

We went in Nov 10-17 2 years ago. Everything Christmas was up, including Osborne Lights. and yes, you still get the Christmas feeling, as a matter of fact, you come home from Disney ready for Christmas!

Wow, all the Christmas stuff is up from Nov 10, that’s crazy. Thanks for the info. :slight_smile:

First half of December is much better for crowds. I do not think you will miss out on any holiday stuff because they start it really early! Oh, and the weather should be BEAUTIFUL!!

The first or second week of the month the crowds are lighter. But if you go the weekend that they tape the Christmas parade, beware…MK is very crowded that day. Main Street in the morning is a madhouse. That is the best time to hit the rides because alot of people are lined up to watch the taping of the parade. Also, to get through the Main Street madness, go into the first store on the left hand side of the street. The stores are all connected so you can go through there rather than facing the people on the street or sidewalk. Always works for us!

I’d go right after American Thanksgiving, through the second week in December.

We always go the first or second week of December and the crowds haven’t been bad and the weather has been good. Disney is all decked out for the Holidays and it’s cheaper then being there for Christmas which we did once and the crowds were unbelievable

What weekend is that? Anyone know?

Don’t go when the Pop Warner football stuff is going on, we went Dec 7-13, 2008 and it was extremely crowded!

Usually the first weekend.

The crowds are EXTREMELY bad the first two weeks. Much fewer people actually Christmas week. :rolleyes:

Those who are saying the first two weeks are the best time to visit will be getting a visit from the MB Secret Police. :eek:

Oh, you newlyweds. That’s the dates we have booked, and I hate it when it’s crowded. We’re staying through Monday to do the Christmas Party on the 13th.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;986849]Usually the first weekend.

The crowds are EXTREMELY bad the first two weeks. Much fewer people actually Christmas week. :rolleyes:

Those who are saying the first two weeks are the best time to visit will be getting a visit from the MB Secret Police. :eek:

That’s the dates we have booked, and I hate it when it’s crowded.[/QUOTE]
DH and I hate it when it’s crowded too. I guess I’ll drop the idea of a weekend anniversary trip to WDW. Maybe someplace tropical, or just back to the Grovepark Inn where we honeymooned.

Because we all know that Canadian Thanksgiving is before Halloween:laugh:

We have gone during both Christmas and New Years…and plan to return again this Christmas. Yeah, the crowds are high, but the atmosphere can’t be beat. I get the goosebumps thinking about the candlelight processional…singing Silent Night with a packed audience with families from around the globe. And spending the actual holiday enjoying the Osborne lights…not to mention, counting down the New Year in fireworks at MK!

so how is the crowds the week of the 12th to the 18th .we went the week before easter this year it was nutz we didnt enjoy it as much the crows were horrible.

We are going Dec 4-13. Unoffical guide rates most of the days as 4s with the exception of Sat the 5th which is an 8 and I think it said the 12th was a 6. And everything else states that the Pop Warner crowd doesn’t effect crowd levels…but now I am worried. We picked this time not only because we have never been at Christmas time but because the crowds were suppose to be lower.

I hope the crowds are not CRAZY…

I found this online, not sure how reliable it is as a crowd indicator.

2009 December Disney World crowds - Christmas and more