When to go?

We have alwyas gone in “off season” taking kids out of school. In 2011 school year my daughter will be in HS so may have to consider alternatives to missing school. Our schools get out around June 10 and go back around August 24 any suggestions as to when to go??

Hi

We are in the same boat - not wanting to miss school. We usually do either Feb or April vacation week (in Ma we get these 2 vacation weeks). For affordable airfare, we go Tue-Tue, so DD only misses 2 days.

We have gone in mid-late Aug. It is great, except for the extreme heat and humidity.

Good luck

Liz

When our kids were in school, we did the “vacation” time visits. Loved it.
It was busy, but even today, our adult daughter calls Easter her favorite time to go.
THAT said, I love to go the week after Thanksgiving. ALL the Christmas trim is up and the crowds aren’t that bad. Christmas season builds through December obviously.
Right after Labor Day isn’t crowded either. Food & Wine started the last Friday in Sept in 2009. We went the following week. Got nice room rates and flights in September.
Frank

Any time between your time window will be hot and busy. I would plan a visit as soon after school ends as possible.

I’d take Thanksgiving over Easter/Spring Break!

The weather is better in the spring, but we thought the crowds for way bigger then as well. You do get the flowers though.

Your school dates are exactly like ours. Out on June 10 back on August 24. We usually take our trip the first or second week in August. It is very hot, and it is fairly crowded, but I think there ways around that, and we don’t have to worry about school. We are considering a trip next January as we have a long weekend the last weekend in January (the weekend after MKJ day weekend). Consider going over a long weekend like that even if it means your daughter misses a day or two of school, it’s better than having her miss a whole week.

This year we’re going in July, which will be a first since all other trips have been in Oct, Feb or June. After reading posts for months about how miserable the weather is in July/Aug and how many people avoid it like the plague I thought I might better look into the heat factor before meeting with the rest of my group for planning. After searching several different sites they all came back with the “average high” is around 92, and the overall average is low/mid 80’s. That sounds great since our average high is in the mid/upper 90’s with 80+% humidity.
Now I don’t have to worry about the heat anymore, just those danged Hurricane’s:pirate:

If you have to go during your daughter’s summer vacation, then I would recommend going as soon as her school lets out, june 11 if possible. Midsummer the crowds are very heavy and it is sweltering. Late August is better for crowds, as Florida schools are back in session, but so is your daughter’s school, so mid June seems to be your best bet.

I would suggest June too as from another perspective, all the British schools haven’t broken up at that time so less international guests too.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1025540]This year we’re going in July, which will be a first since all other trips have been in Oct, Feb or June. After reading posts for months about how miserable the weather is in July/Aug and how many people avoid it like the plague I thought I might better look into the heat factor before meeting with the rest of my group for planning. After searching several different sites they all came back with the “average high” is around 92, and the overall average is low/mid 80’s. That sounds great since our average high is in the mid/upper 90’s with 80+% humidity.
Now I don’t have to worry about the heat anymore, just those danged Hurricane’s:pirate:[/QUOTE]

92?! I went in July 08 and it was 98* + and night time lows were in the upper 80’s lower 90’s.

I’m as native as they come, born and raised in the town I live in in Southwest Fl. The heat normally isn’t as bothersome to me, but July 08 it about killed me. (Being nearly 8 months pregnant didn’t help either. :laugh:)

This years trip was planned around the hotel discount. The kids will miss 2 full days of school and the 3rd day is a 1/2 day. They get back in time for 2 more 1/2 days , the last one being the last day of school. Our ground rules for the trip were good grades and not missing much school if any prior to the trip. Our school basically shuts down the curriculum the last week to 2 wks before school lets out anyways. It’s review work or movies etc. DD#1 has missed 1 day and DS#2 has missed 4 days, all to illness.

Also, it was the best time for me to miss any work, so that helped. September-May is hectic at work due to tourist season.

[QUOTE=5Demons4Cookie;1025645]
This years trip was planned around the hotel discount. The kids will miss 2 full days of school and the 3rd day is a 1/2 day. They get back in time for 2 more 1/2 days , the last one being the last day of school. Our ground rules for the trip were good grades and not missing much school if any prior to the trip. Our school basically shuts down the curriculum the last week to 2 wks before school lets out anyways. It’s review work or movies etc. [/QUOTE]

I’ve never thought about this idea before, but I think it’s a good one. If the kids have good attendance for almost the whole year and then get their work done so they’ll keep up their grades for the last grading period, I don’t see why it should be a problem to miss a little time there at the end when things are winding down anyway. The only issue for some would be that this timeframe would coincide with Memorial Day and possibly the beginning of summer break for some districts.

Oh, and I guess the whole “you can only go if you don’t miss much school all year long” would have to be a pretty empty threat, since so much planning goes into scheduling a trip and you probably wouldn’t cancel it even if they did have to miss some earlier in the year…but at least it keeps them in the right mindset.

Becausee we are spoiled having always gone in the off season and because my daughter rarley misses any school other than vacation I think I may consider returning to a time we sometimes go which is mid January where we could go for 9 days with only missing 3 days of school!