Where are they from?

Tonight while having our designated family night we were watching Pinnochio and DD asked the question…where are they at? Wasn’t sure what to tell her since my first thought was Romanian but DH & I vollied back and forth between Italy & Germany. Which is it and where are the others from, Classics & animated ? These are some that I know of:

[U]England[/U]
Winnie the Pooh
Peter Pan (London)
Alice in Wonderland
The Mouse Detective
Mary Poppins (London)
101 Dalmations (London)

[U]Germany[/U]
Sleeping Beauty
Cinderella
Snow White

[U]France[/U]
Beauty and the Beast
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Aristocats
Aladdin (Arabia)

[U]Italy[/U]
Pinocchio

[U]India[/U]
The Jungle Book

[U]United States[/U]
The Rescuers (New York)
Old Yeller (Texas)
Pollyanna (VT)
Pete’s Dragon (Maine)
Apple Dumpling Gang (CA)
The Love Bug (CA)
Mulan (China)
Lion King (Africa)
Finding Nemo (Australia)

I’m going to say Italy. The names sound Italian. Also, I believe the book was written in Italy ~ I think that was a recent game show question…

Good thread, btw!

[QUOTE=Jen;988790]I’m going to say Italy. The names sound Italian. Also, I believe the book was written in Italy ~ I think that was a recent game show question…

Good thread, btw![/QUOTE]

I finally said Italy too but DH says the writings on the buildings are German.

The novel, The Adventures of Pinnochio, was written by an Italian author and was set in Italy. I’m pretty sure that Disney stuck to that setting.

I agree, nice thread. We added Pinnicchio to our collection yesterday. My DH asked the same thing about where it was from. Now I know the answer.

Pinnocchio is set in Italy… The word Pinnochio is a Tuscan word and means Pinenut.(humm) The book was completed in 1883 and disney created the animated movie in 1940.

Agreed. I’ll add it. Any more favs out there you know about?

I thought Sleeping Beauty was from France?
Maybe not… maybe I’ve just seen it translated INTO French… :blush:

Also, may I add “The Great Mouse Detective”, an old favorite of mine, to the “England” pile? :happy:

[QUOTE=PrincessJill;989119]I thought Sleeping Beauty was from France?
Maybe not… maybe I’ve just seen it translated INTO French… :blush:

Also, may I add “The Great Mouse Detective”, an old favorite of mine, to the “England” pile? :happy:[/QUOTE]

Just added.

Sleeping Beauty was a variant adapted by the Jacob & Wilhelm Grimm (the Brothers Grimm) who were famous for many other stories. They were German authors who sometimes wrote stories with a French twist. The musical score Walt Disney used was also from Tchaikovsky’s Ballet where she was named Aurora, which was actually Rose’s daugher in Perrault’s original version.