Who remembers the 25th anniversary in MK? (PINK castle)

As I was going through some old Disney scrapbooks and pictures I came across a picture of the MEMORABLE (to be kind) pink and full of inflatables Cinderella’s Castle that marked the 25th anniversary in WDW. Does anyone else remember this? It was 1996, my senior year in HS. I remember HATING the sight of that pink castle & watching some movie about “things coming to WDW in the near future,” and seeing previews of what Animal Kingdom might look like!!! I remember thinking "wow, that would be so cool if they actually made it. haha.

I also found my “Guest of Honor” badge. I thought I remembered them putting a year sticker on commenorating your “first visit to WDW” but for some reason mine doesn’t have the sticker on it.

Anyway, anybody else remember anything from that strange celebration?

PS: I think I like the events and embelleshments from THIS DL’s 50th celebration better. haha!!!

:laugh: I remember that. I never saw it in person, but I heard it was not good!

I remember it - I’m trying to forget it - but it still haunts me.

Man! It was BAD!! Pepto-bismol pink. Yuck.

I remember it, and I was there for it. It was 1996, and I went with one of my good friends. I remember not being too crazy about that pink castle either. And I remember the badge too. You told them what year your first visit to WDW was, and they gave you a badge with that year. Where did you pick it up? I think it was either at City Hall or Exposition Hall, in Town Square.

That’s great that you save everyting from your trips Wish. I wish I had even half as much foresight to have done that.

It may have fallen off Wish. I seem to remember mine curling up pretty bad even later that same day.

LOL- I was there! I was only 20 and went with my then boyfriend- I didn’t love the bubblegum castle either!!!

It’s embarrassing how much I have saved from my Disney trips in my “memory boxes.” I have my opening year park map from AK, nearly ALL of my “credit card” type rooms keys, you wanna see the old paper tickets where they scanned on your photo in black and white… GOT 'EM, ummm what else? I even have old “audience tickets” for studio entry when I used to go see the Mickey Mouse Club tapings in MGM, I have an old “Main Street Gazette Comics” that they used to give out to children at Tony’s Town Square." etc…
so much fun to look through my old stuff.

We should start a thread of old school Disney stuff, people can scan their old memories from trips (tickets, memories, old pictures, etc…) that would be fun!!!

I was there.I don’t remember a whole lot about it but I remember wondering how they did that and getting up close to the castle and seeing that it was all inflatable. I was in the fourth grade and we have pictures along with the badges that had 25 yrs on it like wish. One of my souviners from that trip was a beautiful glass jewlery box with the picture that is on wish’s badge picture that was eched in the top of the box. I still have it and use it today. I liked that celebration.

I even have old “audience tickets” for studio entry when I used to go see the Mickey Mouse Club tapings in MGM, I have an old “Main Street Gazette Comics” that they used to give out to children at Tony’s Town Square." etc…
so much fun to look through my old stuff.

We should start a thread of old school Disney stuff, people can scan their old memories from trips (tickets, memories, old pictures, etc…) that would be fun!!![/QUOTE]

So you went to the tapings of the old mickey mouse clubs that is kinda neat. Do you remember britney or justin?

I did and I was OBSESSED with the MMC, hehe!!! I was PRE britney and justin days though. I was more like Kevin Osgood, Matt Morris, Lindsey, JC Chasez, Jennifer, Tony Lucca, Kerri Russell days, hehe. By the time Britney, Justin, Christina, and Ryan Gosling came I was a little too old and “too cool for school” haha!!!

here, I scanned the audience pass I found too. hehe!

HAHA, did i ever tell anyone I always wanted to work for Disney archiving?!?

I was there! I didn’t like the castle either. But it was a fun trip - just DH and I - BEFORE kids. We did the “gold” plan, or whatever it was called then and ate our way all around WDW. YUM!!! (and not a chicken finger the whole trip - LOL)

Now don’t all shout at me here but I actually thought it looked quite cool… :pinch: oooohhhh I said don’t shout at me!!! :happy:
I admit the castle is never so beautiful as it is when in it’s ‘original’ state but I thought it was quite cheerful and fun and I am glad I was there to experience it in a different light.

I know I am in a very small minority with this opinion and I know some of you are screaming at the PC screen but I had to defend it a little…still love me? :crying:

That was the first year I took my DD to WDW…the castle cake really was bad in my opinion…pepto bimsolish looking…lol

:slight_smile: here is a picture of the girls from then and the castle

Awww TINK, how adorable! Thanks for sharing that picture!!!

Does anyone remember in 2001 when the castle was illuminated in alternating pink and blue lights? I have a nighttime picture of DH and I (then BF) in front of the castle but I think when the picture snapped it was pink.

I don’t even remember the reason for that one? Was that when Sleeping Beauty was released on DVD or something?

Look at my signature I was there and I still have my badge.I’m also in the minority and I liked the pink castle.The original is still the best but I liked it because it was different.I got your back Ariel :wink: .

I wouldn’t use the word “cool,” but I, too, that the cake idea was creative and whimsy. While I’m glad the castle is not altered all the time for events, I think whoever said, “Let’s turn it into a big pink cake” had a great idea that will never be matched.

Walt would have loved it! (I know because I keep Walt’s cryogenically frozen head next to my bed, and he communicates with me telepathically–AMAZING what you can get on ebay these days!)

I really didn’t care that much for cake castle. I have pictures of it that are almost identical to the one you posted , Wish. I also still have my badge like that. That was the first year I stayed on property.

i didn’t know, at the time, that WDW was turning 25. i was in the eighth grade going into freshman year of high school at the time. those pics are amazing though. the castle is so colorful and bright.