Why can't I get this in The World?

There’s a French scallop dish I haven’t had in a long time.
It’s called Coquille St Jacques. I remember when we were touring through Quebec, virtually every restaurant had it. (Actually, it being May, it was also Lobster Fest or Festival du Homard and cheap lobster was everywhere too, but never mind.) Anyway, I haven’t had it in years and I’d really love to without having to make it myself (and have to buy the big scallop shells to bake it in)
So how come neither Chefs nor Bistro have it, nor do any of the other WDW restaurants?
What’s up with that?

Here’s a link to a recipe so you folk who don’t know what I’m talking about can get an idea.

Cooks.com - Recipe - Coquille St. Jacques

Edit: OK, I see I can use my creme brulee remkins in place of the scallop shells, but still…

Sounds wonderful! I actually think I may have had this before.:huh: I love scallops and order them frequently when we are out.:happy:

I agree, I wish there were more seafood variety dishes available in WDW. I always thought it was odd that Coral Reef didn’t offer more seafood on their menu, but then again I don’t eat there so it wouldn’t matter.:laugh:

Coral Reef used to offer more seafood dishes, and a wider variety too, but we keep coming back to the institution of the MYW dining plans and the widespread systemic culling and homogenization of all WDW menus.

I agree.:closedeye Every year it appears to get worse. We loved the dining plan in the beginning, but have become frustrated with the changes not only with the menu selections, but prices and inclusions. (ie. tax, gratuity, appetizers)

On a more positive note, we love the TIW card though.:happy:

They still cover the sales tax on the dining plan.
They only tax anything extra that you order beyond the entree, dessert, and one beverage.
We’re also abandoning the dining plan this year in favor of TIW.

Well, how do you get a business to stop carrying a particular item or brand? You stop purchasing it. It goes back to supply n demand. The more people buy that buy into the DDP the worse the program will eventually get to compensate for profit and loss. When did things (menus/quality) start changing. Think about it!:whistling

jmho

Come to Pa. I know a great resturant that serves that dish. My DH LOVES it!

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;967219]Well, how do you get a business to stop carrying a particular item or brand? You stop purchasing it. It goes back to supply n demand. The more people buy that buy into the DDP the worse the program will eventually get to compensate for profit and loss. When did things (menus/quality) start changing. Think about it!:whistling

jmho[/QUOTE]

Yes, but, your logic breaks down when you factor in some other things.
Regardless of the dining plan’s popularity, even if everyone stopped buying it tomorrow and it is never again offered for free, now that the menus at all of the restaurants have been pared back and homogenized, there is absolutely no reason for Disney to increase the offerings at their restaurants and in fact the only thing they will be offering will be increased prices and decreased portions.
So where does that leave the customer? Totally boycott all WDW eateries?
Not gonna happen.

Pa’s a big state. Where?

[QUOTE=Soundgod;967239]Yes, but, your logic breaks down when you factor in some other things.
Regardless of the dining plan’s popularity, even if everyone stopped buying it tomorrow and it is never again offered for free, now that the menus at all of the restaurants have been pared back and homogenized, there is absolutely no reason for Disney to increase the offerings at their restaurants and in fact the only thing they will be offering will be increased prices and decreased portions.
So where does that leave the customer? Totally boycott all WDW eateries?
Not gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

:mad: typed in response but computer timed out so all went away, aargh. Ok, i’ll give a shorter version. No, not saying to boycott. With an increased popularity that buy into that particular program the worse it may be due to an even more limited menu with lesser quality for price or reduced availabilities of time/location. Read where another poster asked what happened to all the more expensive items? They left after DDP came. The food available is still good now. Do I think it will stay that way, doubt it.
All “good” things must come to an end and once the demise of this program takes place I would hope WDW would revamp their menus with better quality/choices as in the past. Will the price go up, probably. Will the quality, I hope so. Do I think they would increase their offerings? Yes I do. Let’s face it, people do not go to WDW because it’s an affordable place to vacate, because it’s not. They go because they have $ to spend and will do so.
You yourself have already mention aborting this program in lieu of TIW. How many other AP holders will eventually follow suit. You guys are the bread/butter of this corp and the execs know your (etc) the real deal…a guarantee. When AP’s start looking elsewhere I could almost bet it’ll be noticed. Maybe not overnight, but it will be and then WDW will start looking for that bigger & better deal to appease more.
That’s my logic of it, as well as my opinion.

Geez… whew.

Anyway, the recipe looks excellent, and I think I might give it a try this weekend to see how it tastes.

SG – Also just had some really good luck with making hatch marks on some large scallops, giving them a quick bit of butter and a few grains of sugar, then sauteeing them in a pan with kalamata olive oil. Wow. Served them with wild rice and baked tomatoes.

Dishes come in and out of favor. This dish was popular in the 80’s (both restaurants that I worked at during that time frame had it on the menu). I guess it is not so “trendy” nowadays.

You cannot get it “here” because it needs to be served in the individual shells and I have never seen that in American restaurants :wink:

Let’s reply to two at once.
Gatour, I think you’re right about it being trendy in the 80’s and then falling out of favor.

Dopey, to Gatour’s point, it seems this dish was very popular in the 80’s and has fallen out of favor, hence no big shells being stocked.

The good news is, it’s not that difficult to make and you can substitute creme brulee remkins for the shells, so I might be trying it soon.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;967375]Let’s reply to two at once.
Gatour, I think you’re right about it being trendy in the 80’s and then falling out of favor.

Dopey, to Gatour’s point, it seems this dish was very popular in the 80’s and has fallen out of favor, hence no big shells being stocked.

The good news is, it’s not that difficult to make and you can substitute creme brulee remkins for the shells, so I might be trying it soon.[/QUOTE]

Yes thank you. It was very popular in the 70’s in Europe too.
I don’t think you’ll likeit if served in ramekins. How about me trying to get you some shells?

Doug, I will send you some shells. PM how to get stuff to you…

Soundgod. I am pretty sure the shells are still available. You might need to go to a restaurant supply store that also does retail sales to people of the street. Some do, some don’t. I went out to the web for a quick look but didn’t find them, but I think my google search string needs some work to get the correct results

I think ramekins would be useable.

Ahh, found a site…

http://www.scallopshells.net/index.php