Why was MGM closed on saturday night?

who is this joyner guy and why did he close mgm saturday night? (the night they are supposed to have the extended hours) there was nothing listed in the parks anywhwere this weekend that they were closing @ 7pm for some family reunion, and the disney tv channel in the resort rooms made no mention of it either. i wasn’t able to eat at my ADR because of it…

i posted this twice by accident - sorry

Tom Joyner was in town this week. It’s his annual “family reunion.” For those of you who aren’t familar with him, apparently he’s a VERY famous DJ from Chicago. Anyhoo every year he has a huge special event at WDW. He rented out Studios for a private party for his “family reunion” party. There are many times in the year where a convention, group, etc. will rent out Studios and it will be off limits to anyone not invited.

Hmmmm…that’s strange that they didn’t inform you when you made your ADR.

Tom Joyner is a LEGENDARY radio personality. He does his annual FAMILY REUNION at WDW. It’s not just family though…it’s listeners from across the country! He is syndicated and has a very loyal following.

They really should have informed you when you made your ADR! Or it should have been mentioned SOMEWHERE.

So sorry you didn’t get to go to your ADR. Talk to the Concierge at your hotel, see if there’s something they can do for you.

He used to be called the “FLY JOCK”. He was on the air in both Chicago and Dallas and was LIVE in both markets. He would do his show in Chicago and then fly out that same day to Dallas to do his live show there! That was before everything was syndicated all over the country…

The Tom Joyner Family Reunion is a hard ticket event. It’s been up on the official WDW web site and is an annual event along the lines of Night Of Joy.

"Join Tom Joyner and the “Morning Show Crew” as they host the return of the Tom Joyner Family Reunion. Go “Park-Hopping” with Tom and his friends, starting at Walt Disney World® Resort and continuing through Magic Kingdom® Park, Epcot®, Disney-MGM Studios and Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park. In 2005 families partied with Ashanti, Omarion and the rest of “the family” at a special concert on Saturday night, while also enjoying the Tom Joyner Southwest Airlines Sky Show, “Kid’s Night Out” featuring Doug E. Fresh, the Sunday Morning Gospel Explosion and much, much more!

For reservations and package sales, please call (888) TJ-Family (853-2645)."

And for those that don’t know, the Tom Joyner Morning Show is a kind of a black version of Howard Stern Show.

Except he’s not that controversial at all! It’s just a BIG morning show that’s syndicated.

I did the Tom Joyner Show’s live remote from Miami several years ago. They had Cameo play live and George Clinton was floating around all morning. While they didn’t rise to the level of Stern’s antics, they were certainly an adult show. Joyner’s got his own set of trademarks, and when George Wallace is involved, it’s not going to be clean either.

Huh??? :blink: He’s syndicated in my area as well but nothing like Howard Stern.

The show I worked on was similar in nature to Stern, but probably more in line with the “Morning Zoo” format. And I said “kind of a black version”, that is not the same as saying he’s the black Howard Stern. The fact that he does an annual family reunion at Disneyworld itself says plenty about the nature of the show and audience when compared to Howard Stern on terrestrial radio, let alone satellite radio.

my problem was that there was nothing mentioned in any of the parks about this. as a matter of fact, the sign outside mgm said they were open until 8:30.

You’re right. There should have been much better communication with the public.

This doesn’t make any sense. The event was well publicized on the website in the same area as all the other special events.

Walt Disney World Resort - Special Events

I think I read a pretty big piece on the event on AllEarsNet as well. Why Disney didn’t post signs saying the park would close early makes no sense. Also, you should not have been allowed to make an ADR in a park that isn’t open. But I do wonder how you missed it on disney’s site when I’m sure you were on the very same page trying to get info on Mickey’s Halloween Party. I thought looking to see what special events were going on during your trip was a normal part of trip planning. It’s in the same vein as checking the schedule for House of Blues to see if there’s anyone you want to see playing.

you would think this information would be available to the CM when customer’s are making adr’s

This is some of what you missed:

• Tom Joyner Family Reunion (Sept. 1-5) – Tom Joyner, host of the nation’s No. 1 urban morning radio show, is the celebrity host for the nation’s largest Labor Day weekend family reunion celebration – involving his “extended family” of listeners who are treated to performances by some of the country’s best-known musicians, comedians and gospel acts plus theme park fun, parties, family fitness workouts, book club discussions and a slate of family-oriented events to delight guests of every age.

The celebrity lineup of entertainers will include Aretha Franklin, Sinbad, LL Cool J, Chris Brown, Ne-yo, Keyshia Cole – and more! For more information about the events and to book specially priced packages, log onto blackamericaweb or call 1-888/TJ-FAMILY (888/853-2645) 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, and 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Disney Planner Fall 2006 – September - December
Info from AllEarsNet.

that is all well and good about the webpage, unfortunately, nothing was made available to the resort guests (who do not have access to the webpage from the parks)

other than that, we had a great weekend (tr to follow)

i am sure tom joyner and his family reunion was a great time for all in attendance, unfortunatley, disney did not convey the scheduling change to the resort guests…

You are right. He is in NO WAY like Howard Stern! I sold Howard Stern for MANY MANY years and he was ALWAYS on every hit list. Tom Joyner was NEVER a show that advertisers would steer clear of. Yes, it is an Adult Show…and he is on Adult Urban Contemporary Stations. But it’s nothing like Stern or Mancow in Chicago, for that matter.

whoever he is, or whatever is show is, i am certain it is not worth the $65 dollars they were charging to get in…

Urban? What exactly is Urban a politically correct way of saying? I’m pretty sure most posters here have little idea who Tom Joyner is, but everyone knows Stern. Is there any other urban format morning show that is syndicated to as many or more markets as Joyner? If not, he is, regardless of actual crudness level on air, a black Stern in that, he is the number one syndicated show in his format. I’m sorry if I conveyed the impression that Tom and Stern are 1 to 1 analogues. Simply the fact that Disney is willing to host this event speaks volumes alone, that this isn’t another “Howard Stern”.

Now, why didn’t Disney do a better job informing guests about the situation at MGM this weekend? That’s the real discussion here.

People say the same about Halloween Horror Nights, the various Mickey’s parties, Night of Joy. But if it was something or someone you were interested in, I’m sure you’d say different. I’m not saying I would have gone, but from the sounds of the lineup, the entertainment and theme park admission are worth the $65 they are charging.