WI-FI @ DVC resorts

I am taking my laptop with us on our up comming trip and was wondering 2 things? 1) I believe that it is but is wi-fi still free to DVC members? and 2) Do you use a wireless router to connect? or do I need to bring a special plug with me to plug into those wall mounts?
I do have a blackberry and can use that to run my computer but sometimes it isnt all that fast so I would like to have a back up plan. Thanks!

I only know that, yes it is free to DVC members. What you need to use it, is beyond me. If I can’t just push an “on” button, it’s too technical for me.

I haven’t been to Disney since October 2008, and at that time wireless connection was only available in the lobby (we stayed at the Boardwalk). If your computer is wireless enabled, you just need to turn your computer on, and search for wireless network, and then sign onto the Disney wireless network (it is pretty easy, it tells you step by step). It was free for DVC members.

If you want to use your computer to access the internet from your guest room, you would use the wire that is provided by the resort. There are instructions for this as well. If you have any issues, or if you can’t find the wire, call the front desk for assistance. This was also free for DVC members.

As I mentioned, it’s been about a year since I’ve last visted, so they may have gone wireless throughout the resorts since then!! It’s only a matter of time.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks for info! Iam hoping that its all wireless cause I would love to be able to sit on our balcony at AKV, watching the animals and posting info and pics here on mousebuzz…

Morning!
I was there in May & wi-fi is free for DVC members when staying on points. As of May it was not wireless you need a cord however they supply you with the cord. It’s in the closet in a bag. If it is not there you can call down & ask for one from housekeeping. Have a great time!!!

[QUOTE=Govac24;986829]Morning!
I was there in May & wi-fi is free for DVC members when staying on points. As of May it was not wireless you need a cord however they supply you with the cord. It’s in the closet in a bag. If it is not there you can call down & ask for one from housekeeping. Have a great time!!![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help! Im wondering how fast the connection is? I can hook up my blackberry to my laptop and use that but Im wondering which connection would be faster? Guess I will just try both and see what happens. Thanks again!

[QUOTE=Goodegirl2007;986406]I haven’t been to Disney since October 2008, and at that time wireless connection was only available in the lobby (we stayed at the Boardwalk). If your computer is wireless enabled, you just need to turn your computer on, and search for wireless network, and then sign onto the Disney wireless network (it is pretty easy, it tells you step by step). It was free for DVC members.

If you want to use your computer to access the internet from your guest room, you would use the wire that is provided by the resort. There are instructions for this as well. If you have any issues, or if you can’t find the wire, call the front desk for assistance. This was also free for DVC members.

As I mentioned, it’s been about a year since I’ve last visted, so they may have gone wireless throughout the resorts since then!! It’s only a matter of time.

Hope this helps!![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info… I really dont know that much about computers and I have never taken a laptop down with me on our trips and this time I decided that I would. Seeing as how we are driving down it will be nice to have it in the car with us to help pass some time, and then I want to be able to start doing my trip report while Im down there so that I dont miss out on any of the details,pics etc… Im sooo excited… thanks again!

The connection seemed very fast to me. You should be alright with everything. :laugh:

haha, it SHOULD be wireless but it’s not! The connection is free for DVC members but you have to use the cord that they hang in a little pouch in the closet.

Although, if you are staying at AKV the port is right by the sliding glass door (where the table & chairs are) to the balcony, this was in the studio room. I don’t remember how long the cord is but I think you may be able to swing it & get your laptop on the balcony.

Disneyland has a nice wireless connection, I wish WDW would embrace that also.

Thanks WISH! We are in a 1 bedroom but Im sure that the set up is the same. If the cord isnt long enough then I will just use my blackberry while Im out on the balcony.

Oooo now theres a nice idea, with some zebra domes to one side and a refillable mug of hot choclate on the other! Absolutly perfect, I’d definatly get a fair bit of writing done in that situation!