Wild Africa Trek

From allears .net

Wild Africa Trek, is a new three-hour, expert-led wildlife experience scheduled that began January 16, 2011. Participants can explore the most remote reaches of Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Highlights:

• Trekking with experienced guides through areas of Harambe Wildlife Reserve that aren’t explored during regular Animal Kingdom experiences.

• Navigating through fern and vine forests on a bushwalk.

• Clipping into a harness attached to a safety line, crossing a rope bridge over the Safi River and cliff-hanging at the edge of gullies that are home to hippos and crocodiles.

• Experiencing the thrill of “over-landing” in customized open-air vehicles.

• Unwinding at a private safari camp for wildlife viewing. At this station elevated above the savanna, savor sample tastes of Africa as the adventure draws to close.

Wild Africa Trek is offered several times daily at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Groups will be kept small, consisting of no more than 12 trekkers per safari. Reservations for Wild Africa Trek can be arranged by calling 407-WDW-TOUR (939-8687). Pricing for this unique adventure will vary seasonally. Guests who reserve a booking from Jan. 16-Feb. 26, 2011, may take advantage of an introductory offer starting at $129. Park admission is required for participants.

I read about this on the All Ears newsletter this week. Looks fun but the $129 price tag is a bit steep.

Actually, it’s $189 now. I called member services to see what kind of discounts there is for DVC members, or AP’s. None! She said it’s so popular right now, that there is no discounts to it. Also, if I was interested, to book as soon as I can, and not to wait until we are there in September, because it books up so fast. Just have to talk dh into having something scheduled on our vacation (he HATES schedules on vacation!)

I saw this take place during our safari ride and it looked amazing!! Yes, the price seems steep, but it isn’t something you would do every trip.

I would have to do it first thing because once I hit the buffets I would be over the weight limit.:laugh:

Sounds fantastic! Maybe some day…

I agree with your DH ;-), vacations are meant to be schedule-free! (except for Boma’s res’es) :laugh:

Arggh :pirate:

“cliff hanging” what is cliff hanging and why

Ever watch Cheers?
Maybe that will explain the what and the why of Cliff hanging:laugh:

I will do this in the future.

“Cliff hanging” is more like “cliff leaning”. :laugh: You are clipped onto a big metal pole so you’re safe. It just lets you get close to the edge of the cliff so you can get a really unique view of the hippos and crocs. You don’t actually go over the side of the cliff. And if you don’t want to hang/lean at all, you don’t have to.

Whoa! So cool! I’m not a huge fan of tours - but this one sounds fantastic!

I called about this, but they are not booking it past September for now. I was told to call back in August.

I think this is so Disney can amend the “pricing” based on the season, availability and all that good stuff…

I have booked for September and am very much looking forward to it.

Cost me $189.00.

They have also changed the inclusions slightly - you used to be able to add your park photopass pic’s to the disk - but now you just get a disk from your Trek - no additions.

DH and I did the Trek on our recent trip (7/19/11) and loved every minute of it. Yes it is expensive but it is worth every penny.

Our reservation was at 9:30am and we arrived at 9am. You check in behind the Dawa Bar in Harambe Village and sign the imfamous waiver. You are then led through a gate and down a path to CM’s waiting for you. You are shown to a locker to put your things in as you cannot carry anything while on the Trek. If you have a camera with a strap that you can either put around your neck or can clip to the vest, that is ok. Next, you are weighed, I know not many want to hear that, but they have to do it for safety and the rope bridge purposes. I actually felt like I was at Weight Watchers. The CM’s then help you put on a safety vest, which is then fitted to you. You take a quick practice run on a short rope bridge to show you what you will encounter and they ask you how you feel after doing it. Then you are offered water or their famous “Jungle Juice”, sunscreen and bugspray. I would suggest taking the bugspray offer! During this, you are introduced to your guides. Our guides were Aaron and Jeff. They were great! Oh, did I mention DH and I were the only ones doing the Trek at 9:30? Yup, just the two of us with the guides, AWESOME!

Before the Trek starts, there are photos taken and jokes made and off we went. We learned some history of the fort at Harambe Village and taken through some of the Pangani Forest Trail before being led off on a trail. You trek through the brush, meet the hippos and trek some more until you get to the rope bridges. Now that was fun!!! After the bridges you take the vests off and are led to your own safari truck which takes you to your very own mini compound. You are served a wonderful snack which is very filling, rest and watch the animals out on the savannah. After you are finished, you are taken on a safari which also incorporates a part of the Kilimanjaro Safari. When the safari is complete, you walk back to where you began to collect your belongings, choose what conservation fund you would like a portion of what you paid for the tour to go to. Take final photos and say your good-byes.

I only explained the basics of the Trek so as not to spoil.

Included in the price of the Trek is a 3 hour hike and safari, nice size snack, water canister, CD full of photos and a lot of adventure and fun.

We actually received our CD of photos today and they turned out great. On the walking part of the Trek, Jeff took the photos and during the safari, Aaron took the photos.

After we left, we went on the Kilimanjaro Safari to see exactly where we were and to take pictures to show everyone. It was so neat to see everywhere we had been. And while we were doing the trek, we could hear people on the safari ride asking what we were doing, or it looked like fun.

It is definitely worth doing if you have the time and money. The most they take on a Trek is 12. You must where closed toe shoes, no flip flops or sandals. Also, you should remove yourself from thinking you are in AK as the guides, in Disney style, make you think you are really on a reserve in Africa.

As far as Disney saying they are booking the Treks like crazy, they actually are not. In talking to the CM’s after the Trek, we explained how much fun we had and they told us to spread the word. They are trying to advertise as much as possible to get more reservations. In confirming my address for mailing the CD, there were 2 or 3 openings after us. And we did not see anyone else checking in or around the area. Now a couple days later, we took the boys on the safari to show them everywhere we had gone and we saw a group at the compound and another on the safari truck.

Once I figure out how to download the pics from the CD, I will post a few.

Just booked our Wild Africa Trek for the 4 of us during our upcoming August trip. Hope my DS12 and DD9 will enjoy it. DW and I certainly will.