Will anything go as planned? DT's 2013 TR

Cast
Me: the planner and the one who worries enough for all of us
Mike: My wonderful husband who loves Disney but still doesn’t feel the need to talk about it all the time
Nathan: My 15 (yes, he’s 15) year old son who still loves all things Disney
Princess: 12 year old daughter of my best friend (I invited her along when our plans for both families to go together didn’t work out.) She really doesn’t act like a princess, it was just nice to have a girl along.

Minor cast:
J & C good friends who planned their trip to overlap ours.

We booked Beach Club Villas, J & C were driving down and staying at Pop.

Yay!!! I am so anxious to find out about the room situation! Can’t wait to hear everything!

Background information: I don’t know how much rain we got in May but it was a lot. We had 6 different flood warnings for our county alone, five river flood warnings and one flash flood warning. It seemed to rain every day and rain a lot. We were busy finishing the school year and getting Nate through finals week (7 final exams in two days–he did great all As and Bs ) and didn’t have time to pack until the afternoon before we left and it was, of course, raining—hard. All I could see was our luggage sitting on the tarmac in the rain getting everything soaked so I packed all our clothes in trash bags so we would at least have dry clothes in case my vision came true.

Day 1 (Nate’s 15th birthday)

Plan: go to work in the morning, leave for the airport at noon, arrive at WDW, check in and head straight to Magic Kingdom for Extra Magic Hours to celebrate Nate’s birthday

Actual: I asked my principal if I could go in a little early and leave a little early to give us a little more time to get to the airport. She kindly agreed. However, as soon as I got to school everyone was talking about the bridge we needed to use to get to the airport closing sometime before 6 pm. No one knew when it would close, just that it would close when (not if) the water reached the highway. I went straight to stress mode—What if we get to the bridge and it’s closed? We have to turn around and backtrack to get a different way, losing time we don’t have. We were already cutting it close and didn’t have time for that.

We decided to bale a little earlier that planned. I made a quick call to the sheriff’s non-emergency number to see if the bridge was still open and we hit the road in the pouring rain. We made it across the bridge with time to spare and by the time we got to the airport it wasn’t pouring, only a light shower. Mike dropped us off to check the luggage while he parked the car. The kids and I had the luggage checked and were through security in no time. We could have stayed at school another hour easily but I didn’t know that a few hours earlier.

When Mike found us we decided to get him some lunch and the kids a snack (they ate before we left). Nate and Princess each ordered an appetizer (chips and salsa and an order of fries to share) and Mike got some type of mini burgers/sliders. I just wanted one of these:

Our plane was late getting in so we were about 20 minutes late taking off. We had an uneventful flight and went straight down to ME. We ended up sitting on the bus about 15 minutes before we finally left. While we were waiting I got a text from a friend telling me a tornado had just hit our airport and totally shut it down until the runways could be inspected. At that point they were looking at morning before being up and open again. We missed it by a couple of hours. Ok, a flood, a near miss with a tornado…….what else could happen?? A tropical storm? No way…

We always have to get the first/last car on the monorail to the other terminal. Not sure why but it’s Nate’s rule.

Nate and Princess act very much like brother and sister. Princess is a button pusher and she knows where every one of Nate’s buttons are. I don’t remember what was going on but Princess is laughing and Nate is using his elbow to shove her away and we haven’t even pulled away from the loading area. :laugh:

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1134941]Our plane was late getting in so we were about 20 minutes late taking off. We had an uneventful flight and went straight down to ME. We ended up sitting on the bus about 15 minutes before we finally left. While we were waiting I got a text from a friend telling me a tornado had just hit our airport and totally shut it down until the runways could be inspected. At that point they were looking at morning before being up and open again. We missed it by a couple of hours. Ok, a flood, a near miss with a tornado…….what else could happen?? A tropical storm? No way…

We always have to get the first/last car on the monorail to the other terminal. Not sure why but it’s Nate’s rule.[/QUOTE]

We love that “view” upon arriving too!!!

Enjoying this …

We were supposed to be the last of 5 stops. Darn it, MK wasn’t looking good. A few weeks before we left Friday EMH at Magic Kingdom were all canceled so we knew getting there would be tough but I had hoped for maybe 90 minutes or so just to say we were there on Nate’s birthday. However, it wasn’t to be and Nate was okay with it.

We ended up being the fourth stop, don’t know what happened but we skipped CBR and went to Yacht Club then Beach Club-sorry CBR people. We made a quick change in plans on the way to our resort. We ended up deciding to go to Crew’s Cup Lounge for dinner instead of Magic Kingdom. It was 9:45 and the park closed at 11, by the time we got to MK, got our passes, and got in the park would be closing. I hadn’t eaten since breakfast (you know, that whole keeping the plane in the air thing…) and I knew Mike and the kids would want something more than the appetizers they had at the airport so everyone would need to eat.

I sent everyone on to get a table and order dinner (I wasn’t sure if they stopped serving food at 10 or 11—it was 11) while I checked in. I was the only one checking in so things went quickly. Our studio was all the way at the end of the hallway, closest to the door to the parking lot. Not great but good for when we’re using the buses.

I went straight to Crew’s Cup and we all enjoyed a good dinner. Nate and I had shrimp, Princess had a cheeseburger, and Mike had buffalo chicken and some type of fried onion things. They were huge and very different, good, but not what I expected.

It was 11:00 by the time we were done eating and found our room. When we walked in there was this fan thing on the floor near the kitchenette. Hmmm…… One touch to the carpet and we knew why we were sharing our room a very noisy fan. The carpet was wet, not soaking, squish between your toes wet but wet enough that we couldn’t walk on it w/o getting our feet wet. It was late and all we wanted was to get unpacked and to bed but none of us were going to be able to sleep with the noisy fan running.

You can’t see the wet carpet but it was wet from about our suitcase to where the fan is. To get to and from the bathroom we had to walk over the wet carpet.

I called the front desk hoping to get relocated to a new, dry studio. After a few minutes on hold a kind CM told me we had two options, stay in the wet room or we could be moved to a courtesy room for the night. Well, I wasn’t thrilled with wet carpet and the damp smell so we decided to take the courtesy room for the night. We were given a $50 room credit for our troubles. I was surprised by that, but pleased at the same time. I wasn’t upset or mad while talking to the CM, I just wanted a dry room and no noisy fan. A CM quickly brought keys to our new room and we were on the move again. Our courtesy room was in the main building at Beach Club just past the gift shop.

Our courtesy room was bigger and had two queen beds and a day bed/couch. The bathrooms were almost exactly the same. I was kind of excited to see the rooms in the main building; we’ve never stayed there so it was nice to what those rooms were like.

Nothing went as planned but we were at WDW and that’s all that mattered.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1134936]Cast
Me: the planner and the one who worries enough for all of us
Mike: My wonderful husband who loves Disney but still doesn’t feel the need to talk about it all the time
.[/QUOTE]

This describes my household, too!!! I know i drive that poor many crazy always talking about points, APs, ADRs, wait lists, new attractions…and on and on and on…he just smiles as calls me a “Disney Addict”:mickey:…but loves me anyway and lets me ramble…

Looking forward to the trip report…

Excited to read more…

Can’t wait to read more, since we’re doing 10 days in BC 2-BR villa a year from now!

Looking forward to more of your adventures!

Yay! I’ve been waiting for this!:happy:

Can’t wait to hear more!

I’m surprised they released the room for use. We had some issues with our room/housekeeping and BC gave us a room credit too.

Can’t wait for more. :happy:

Day 2

The plan: 7:30 ADR at Cape May, go to Epcot for the morning, hop over to Pop Century so Nate and Princess could play in the awesome arcade, then ESPN for dinner

Actual: Ok, what I hadn’t thought through was getting ready in the morning w/o unpacking everything. I mix our clothes up so everyone has a few changes of clothes in each suitcase in case one bag doesn’t make it. We don’t need a naked family member sitting around waiting for a suitcase to be found at some random airport. Nope, we have a clothes rule in my family. After that I had just thrown everything else in with no rhyme or reason. I couldn’t find anything and spent a lot of time digging through three suitcases looking for what we needed. Not only that, we had to have everything packed back up to move back over to BCV to a dry studio. It ended up being a real pain but we managed.