Wine and Dine

Has any one used this add on? It is $40/night. I am not sure if it is worth the shekels.

Research shows me the bottles worth one credit sell resale around $25 ~ $35. (the plan would be $40)

The premier bottles go for $50+ and WDW will charge 2 credits or $80.

So - what do you think?

Honestly, I don’t know about this one. I think if you normally have a couple of glasses of wine at dinner, every night, then its probably a good deal, since drinking it by the glass adds up very quickly.

At Dinner? A couple of glasses at breakfast is more in line.

Ah, what was I thinking??

Boss, the DH and I truely enjoy wine, we looked into this when we went with DBIL and DSIL (big wino’s:laugh:) in Dec and it just wasn’t worth it!

We picked up a bottle in France and another in Italy and when we went to Walmart they had a decent selection. $40 a night just wasn’t worth it for us! We were able to get 2 bottles for that (or a few $ more). Each bottle only has about 4 - 5 glasses of wine in it, and that is just better spent choosing your own through your travels!

I would never be able to drink my money’s worth. :laugh:
I guess it might work for people who REALLY enjoy wine with their meals. Or maybe if you’re with a big group who would definitely drink two bottles.

I am thinking about wine with dinner (Cali Grill; Yachtsmen; & Tutto whatchacallit’s). So if a nice wine w/dinner will cost $40 - $50 … the $0 a night pays off. But I don;t know the quality and prices. I’m looking, though. I’m looking.

'cause I leave in less than 120 days, you know.

If you’re a wine drinker (which it sounds like you are Boss) i’d go for it. Sandy and i don’t drink but a lot of our friends and family who’ve gone to Disney love the Wine add-on. It sounds like you really have to be into the “Wine Experience” to get any value out of it. Some of the diners up here in NY give you a shot glass of the House Wine at dinner and i’ll usually slurp that up, but i’ve never purchased a bottle at dinner.

If they can just get Disney to do a Corona package with dinner i’m all over that.

For those of you playing at home, I found a nice article about the Disney wine experience.
The gist of the article was:

Here’s the interesting thing, though: The bubbly was $54 a bottle, the malbec $48 and the Tempranillo $66 - fair restaurant prices for wines that are difficult to find. In other words - and we found this throughout Disney World - if you know something about wine and you are willing to pay $45 to $65 for a bottle, there is some terrific stuff. Our issue, though, is that many people aren’t willing to spend that much, and they should still be able to get tasty wine for less than $30.

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;971566]For those of you playing at home, I found a nice article about the Disney wine experience.
The gist of the article was:

Here’s the interesting thing, though: The bubbly was $54 a bottle, the malbec $48 and the Tempranillo $66 - fair restaurant prices for wines that are difficult to find. In other words - and we found this throughout Disney World - if you know something about wine and you are willing to pay $45 to $65 for a bottle, there is some terrific stuff. Our issue, though, is that many people aren’t willing to spend that much, and they should still be able to get tasty wine for less than $30.[/QUOTE]

Heck, if you read any of the wine magazines, you can find really good wines for anywhere from $10 - $20 a bottle. My BIL is a sommelier, and he is always giving us great recommendations for great wines.

I was thinking, however, if you and yours easily drink more than one bottle at dinner, then the $40 is more than worth it. As long as its not Carlo Rossi or Robert Mondavi Zinfandel we are talking about. :noo:

Boss, it sounds like you are really leaning the way of the wine. I’d go for it. At least a night or two.

Are you into expensive wines as much as the cheaper stuff? (not wine in a box stuff). Up at our local Wine Warehouse you can get a bottle for as little as $3. I’ve always been curious how a $3 bottle rates against a $60 bottle. (Besides the obvious taste factor).

The W & D plan is 1 bottle credit per night. It works like the DP - some wines are 2 credits. I know restaurants mark up wine. The article reflects most restaurants - they mark up the cheaper wines 100-300%. So a $10 bottle is $30 at the table. But your better wines maybe 50%

So I need to figure if I paid the $40/night ($200) for the plan, would we get our moneys worth at the restaurants? The math is looking in favor of using it.

I think we paid $18/glass at the Cali gill last time.

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;971603]The W & D plan is 1 bottle credit per night. It works like the DP - some wines are 2 credits. I know restaurants mark up wine. The article reflects most restaurants - they mark up the cheaper wines 100-300%. So a $10 bottle is $30 at the table. But your better wines maybe 50%

So I need to figure if I paid the $40/night ($200) for the plan, would we get our moneys worth at the restaurants? The math is looking in favor of using it.

I think we paid $18/glass at the Cali gill last time.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it would be worth it, then, for sure.