Working the System....Again

Last year I mentioned how I did a split stay at WL to save a bundle on the reservation.

http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/wdw-resorts/54035-wilderness-lodge-9-nights-3-people-1950-net.html

Well My strategy is in play again.

Right now in August Disney has a Kids stay free promotion. For me it would be 1 adult and two kids, so your situation may differ. The principal is still there.

Disney also has a nice Room only discount as well (8/15 through Sept.)

So for Example, a 9 night Kids special via the website at Animal Kingdom Lodge would cost 2907.53

Now a room only stay is only $1842. If I had APs Id do this.

Here is the sneaky part: The promotion for Kids stay free requires a 4 night stay. If I book the 4 night package (1418.23), pay the ticket upcharge of 21.53 for an 8 day pass (I wont need the 9 day, flight too early) and then book the final 5 days at the room only rate of $1024. This saves me a whopping $443.77 just to split the stay into 2 reservations.

Savings at Coronado is $288.10, at POP 77.95. Not as great at the values but still a savings. If you were to do this at Grand Floridian Club Level Main Building you could net a savings of 1857.18:eek:

Last year was the gift card offer, hopefully that comes back. It was a more versatile promotion. But if you have kids, and planned on going late summer this could work for you.

I love how you “play” and save yourself some serious money. for every one of us who are smart enough to figure out how to save it, there is 5 who can’t. Rest assured WDW is getting a fortune out of someone…lol

That is AWESOME!!! i wish I could take advantage of that!!! Thanks for the tip, I will def keep that in mind for future trips!

I did this another way.

Say you want to stay at Yacht Club for the proximity to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. A regular 9 night package would be 3768.02. splitting it up to use the two deals would save you 684.74.

But the Yacht club doesn’t offer any advantage for Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. If you could handle POP century for 4 nights, and then transfer to YC, your package savings would then be 1863.06. You could use these days for AK and MK. You could check in at 8am and begin using the Pools right away.

I guess I’m doing the math to pass the time until my next trip. Ill get back and won’t think about disney for months.

Brilliant!

Great Deals!!!
I wish my 11 & 12 yr olds were still kids:crying:

How does it work out if you do the room only offer for the entire stay and just pay OOP for tickets? That’s what we did for April, and when I crunched the numbers, it looked like it worked out to the same savings percentage.

So, what you’re saying is, you like math and have more free time than I do so you’d like to do some more math and calculate how save me some major $$ on my next trip? :wink: The week after Thanksgiving 2011, 7 or 8 nights, BC or WL, 2 adults & 2 kids (ages 1 & 3), regular DDP, Park Hopper w/o Water Parks or no exp date. :mickey:

Nothing yet on that late travel. First thing I’d do though is book a room at WL. Its free (less refundable $200) and it sometimes is easier to apply a discount because your guaranteed a room at least. I’d forget the dining plan in this case. Your three year old may not eat her worth. A possibility…Renting DVC points and base tickets at wilderness lodge will cost you about 2100 right now. New deals should show up soon.

see if the DDP will work for you…

Are the Disney Dining Plans Worth the Cost? Which One Is Right For You? ? easyWDW

Thanks briben! I was kind of joking but really would appreciate help in breaking down numbers when the time comes to make the most of our money. I think often times things look different from a fresh eye.

We really like the DDP for the ease of use and DH and I definitely eat enough to make it worthwhile. My DD actually eats almost as much as I do but I have to say I’m not excited about the choices she’ll have. She has a very sophisticated palate for a 2 year old (3 at time of travel). HA!

I recently looked at the historical discounts and it seems a room only is prob what we’ll be looking at, if anything is offered. Unfortunately, they haven’t been released in the past until summer so I’ll definitely be booking something prior to a discount and then hoping for the best. :mickey: Anyone have an opinion on how early to book? I’ve always booked 6-8 mo in advance.

Question: Why book WL tentitively instead of BC? BC seems harder to get into and would be my preferred resort. We’d probably do WL or even CBR if no good discounts are offered since they’re more budget friendly (for us) and we’ll be paying more for the first time with our first child turning 3 next fall.

As far as renting DVC points, I looked into that for our last trip and while it’s absolutely a better value, my hubby was very direct in saying he wasn’t willing to give up ME which would be the case if we decided to rent, right? Everyone’s priorities are different and that one is apparently high on his list (and admittedly mine). Of course, I’ll look at it again in the event something changes in our ideas.

HI, Tara! Good to see you! Congrats on the new little one!

As a DVC renter, you still get ME (you mean Magical Express, right?).

I thought wl because a deluxe discount coupled with wl deluxe lite pricing would give you the most bang for the buck. You can do ddp with renting and mexpress. However renting doesn’t give you the same flexibility.

you should rent your self out as a Disney savings person… lol …:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: … we are doing the discounted room for September and adding the tickets and meal plan for 2700;. for two of us. at PORS

Keep an eye out for free dining. I think it was offered around Valentines Day last year.

[QUOTE=TaraRae82;1065958]
We really like the DDP for the ease of use and DH and I definitely eat enough to make it worthwhile. My DD actually eats almost as much as I do but I have to say I’m not excited about the choices she’ll have. She has a very sophisticated palate for a 2 year old (3 at time of travel). HA!

I recently looked at the historical discounts and it seems a room only is prob what we’ll be looking at, if anything is offered. Unfortunately, they haven’t been released in the past until summer so I’ll definitely be booking something prior to a discount and then hoping for the best. :mickey: Anyone have an opinion on how early to book? I’ve always booked 6-8 mo in advance.

QUOTE]

Can you get the dining plan with room only reservations?

[QUOTE=iluvwdw;1066001]HI, Tara! Good to see you! Congrats on the new little one!

As a DVC renter, you still get ME (you mean Magical Express, right?).[/QUOTE]

Hi! Thanks! Life with 2 is different but at least the little man is way easier than my princess! :pirate:

We could still take advantage of ME and the DDP with renting points?! Well, now that changes everything! I played with numbers yesterday based on historical discounts and it appears that free dining would offer the biggest savings with a room only discount coming in second (kids stay and play wasn’t even comparable in savings). Beach Club was about $700 more than WL but the dollar amount saved his higher at BC because of the higher tier (BC had a savings of over $700 and WL wasn’t even $600, I think). We’ll see. I’ll be looking at renting first and if that doesn’t work out then I’ll book at BC until discounts are announced and downgrade to WL (or even CBR) if need be.

Thanks for the info!

[QUOTE=TaraRae82;1065958]

As far as renting DVC points, I looked into that for our last trip and while it’s absolutely a better value, my hubby was very direct in saying he wasn’t willing to give up ME which would be the case if we decided to rent, right? Everyone’s priorities are different and that one is apparently high on his list (and admittedly mine). Of course, I’ll look at it again in the event something changes in our ideas.[/QUOTE]

You still get ME plus you can book the dining plan through the owner of the points.

Just remember,renting won’t change price, but is harder to refund. So I would wait until at least the end of the month before renting. You should see the new discounts before then.

I love others “play” with thier reservations too! I am doin a sneaky deal for october…shhh…love it! :slight_smile: it is part of the fun!

Oh really? Discounts for next winter should be released as early as this month? I wasn’t anticipating booking until closer to April anyway so that’d be great if I could earlier!