Your advice please

Hello Mousebuzzers :mickey: I need your help and advice. Our vacation is already booked for September 2011and we cannot wait for this trip. Here is where I need your expertise- We are planning a family gathering for September 2012 (yes a long way off but the groundwork needs doing).

Our first option in our budget range was to be POFQ we would need three rooms as our party would be four couples and two young children (they will be 8 and 2.5years). The next option I started to look at was Saratoga Springs Resort, as this keeps coming up with some great discounts we would need a 3-bedroom grand Villa.

If anyone can give me some tips and advice on this I would be grateful, as any of you stayed in a grand villa.

I look forward to your input.

Ok, my fear is always that I would have to share common space with anyone. Usually there’s some discourse of one kind or another when people are this close. I know it saves money to go with a DVC resort rental, but make sure you all love each other no matter what :laugh:

I have thought about the grand villa, but thought - why do we need the whole dining room area? Kind of wasted space, imho. We do well with a two bedroom and additional studios. The two bedroom is the meet/decompress area, and everyone has a neutral corner to run away to, if needed.

It all depends on how much you all enjoy spending every moment together.
After a day or two, the novelty will wear off and I think you’ll be dying for alone time.

We have stayed in a grand villa at OKW for a week twice with extended family & friends. LOVED IT!!! :mickey: We were at the parks enough (and split up some) that you don’t get tired of everyone. The grand villas are huge! I loved having the living/dining area for breakfast and snacks. The kitchen stove, of course, is never used! :dry:
We just booked a 2 bedroom for the first week in Oct. 2011 :mickey:
Enjoy planning!

Over the past 10 yrs i’ve gone on a lot of overnighters with my scouts and their families, 95% of it I planned. The first few days are great, it’s one big slumber party!!! After that, well, i’ll tell you what one mom told me…“people are like fish. After a couple days they all begin to stink” :laugh: Seriously though, if you have a lot of passive people in your group you should be fine. My only concern would be those that don’t have small children may not be used to sharing a space with them.

When looking at the model rooms at AKV and telling the DVC CM there about our plans for a big family trip next year, he said “Can I offer you some advice? Don’t do a grand villa. They are nice but everyone needs more private space!” He actually recommended that we book all studios but we are going with one studio and two 2 bedrooms instead.

Hi Jimbo! Can’t help with the question, but just wanted to say your plans for 11 and 12 sound amazing! I would be tempted to go with SSR as its such a lovely resort- and if you can get a great deal, take it! I know you’d be fine all together.
Hope you and yours are well xx

Thanks very much for your help so far. Some very good points have been made. I think I’ll book in to a studio and put everyone else into a villa :laugh::laugh:

No only joking but the thought of everyone living in close proximity to each other for 14 days might take its toll. although we do get on most of the time.

our plan is to split up during the day time for everyone to do their own thing and meet up on the evening.

Saratoga Springs looks so nice but having said that I’ve just been looking at the POFQ room re refurbishment and that looks good.

think I need to call Disney and work a price out.

I’ve never stayed in a Grand Villa but will be booking one for a family reunion in 2 years as well. I agree with everyone about the space, but I also think that if you want to do that look into some Grand Villa that are 2 floors. Although I think that most of them are. This way you can give a little space for one another.

However, I have stayed at Saratoga Springs once and I do not thing I will ever stay there again. Now don’t get me wrong the rooms are really nice and the property is well kept but it is a really BIG resort. Now being a really big resort you have a LOT of people using the transportation system, as well as it is the furthest from any of the parks. So many times we would wait forever for a bus and sometime when the bus comes it is all ready full and will not take anymore. That is only going to the park. Say you want to stay at night and watch the firework then the line to get on a bus is forever long and the buses do not show up as much because of the distance.

Maybe my week was just a really bad experience there, but when join DVC I bought into AKV Kidani village and it is wonderful. You do not have a ton of different buildings to go to there is only one. There are only 2 bus stops with is Jambo House and Kidani Village. I love it there and if you can get the Savanna view you can just sit on the balcony and watch the animals.

Now I’m not telling you to go to AKV I’m only telling you my experiences. Let others also tell you their experiences and maybe it is opposite of mine. But either way you will be in Disney World and you will have a great time.

I noticed you say contact Disney to work out a price. When staying at the DVC resorts as a non-DVC owner the best deal by far is to rent points. There is a great web site, dvcrequest.com, it is David’s DVC rental site that is easy to use. We used him to rent points for OKW for next week. He is a little more expensive than going straight thru a DVC owner but it takes out some of the risk. Unless you find a great member like we did the first time, it was a great experience also.

Thanks for the web site info.

I have started thinking about a one and two bedroom villa. or a two bedroom and a studio.

god I’m so confused now:nonono2:

[QUOTE=jimbo;1057037]

god I’m so confused now:nonono2:[/QUOTE]

This is clearly the wrong emoticon:nonono2:

Your comment demands this one::wacko:
Or this one::crying:

You might even consider combining a studio and one bedroom into a two bedroom (this is how they are built at Boardwalk and OKW anyway) so that at the end of the day, one group can get a little more separation when needed and also open the door so that you have a larger space.

Do your homework, study accommodation fact sheet and picture info at All Ears.
This might help you better decide your best plan for your family.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1057060]This is clearly the wrong emoticon:nonono2:

Your comment demands this one::wacko:
Or this one::crying:

You might even consider combining a studio and one bedroom into a two bedroom (this is how they are built at Boardwalk and OKW anyway) so that at the end of the day, one group can get a little more separation when needed and also open the door so that you have a larger space.

Do your homework, study accommodation fact sheet and picture info at All Ears.
This might help you better decide your best plan for your family.[/QUOTE]

I turtley agree, it is the wrong emo’ :laugh:

thanks for the advice re all ears I forgot about that site for some reason.

I have also taken a look on youtube but cant seem to work out what is in the two bedroom villa - some say king bedroom, and a two queen room with a sofa bed in the lounge, others say king (master) bedroom with a queen and sofa bed no lounge.