Your Comments about Saratoga Springs

We’re staying at Saratoga Springs this December. We’ve never stayed there before and welcome your experiences about this resort. Thanks!!

Hi, welcome to Mousebuzz. I am a fellow Jersey Shore local too. :smile:

Our DVC home resort is Saratoga Springs so we’ve stayed there more than a couple times. The bus service at SSR is stellar, I’ve never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus and they run very frequently. It’s a HUGE resort and I always prefer to stay close to the main common areas; if you prefer that too request a room in the “Springs” or “Grandstand” sections. If your schedule allows definately try having dinner at the “Turf Club” restaurant, it’s one of those dining gems that still remains on the slower side. There is a wonderful boat ride that takes you straight to Downtown Disney which is convenient & very relaxing.

Otherwise, the counter service food area is pretty small & located inside the resort’s retail area BUT the food is actually really good. No crappy burgers and fries, they have great sandwiches, paninis, brick oven pizzas, etc.

Anything specific you wanted to know?

PS: I just saw in the DVC members thread that your home resort is BCV and you waited to book this trip so all they had left was SSR…

Don’t worry too much about SSR, it’s is really nice & the rooms are also fairly new and well appointed.

Although, don’t go into SSR expecting the “grand lobby” and immaculately themed pool area like your home resort has. I was a little dissapointed with SSR at first because I thought it was kinda “boring” compared to all the other DVC resorts but it really grew on me. You have to appreciate it for what it is; the positive aspects outweigh the lack of “WOW factor.”

Thank you Wish for the info. Staying close the main area is something I didn’t even think about and is a good tip, thanks. I didn’t mean to dis SSR. Because it’s so far out, I was a little disappointed that that was the only availability. Honestly, where ever you stay is great, it’s Disney. I’m very grateful that we’re going at all. Thanks again Wish. Jersey Girls Rule!!

Wait until you see the pool! Wonderful!

I want to hear more about the resort. I know you gave a stellar review, Wish but for some reason I am just so dissapointed that this is the only place I can stay for our December trip (I booked 11 months out, and at 7 nothing was left). This is our home resort and we are definately glad to be going but we are bringing our brother and sister in law and we really want them to be wowed so they will consider buying in, but we don’t think SSR will do it! I have tried weekly (they must hate me over at MS) to see if anything else is available, I am also on waitlists, but nothing yet and we leave in 51 days!

Do different areas of SSR have nicer rooms, we have two DD’s (5 & 4) which pools are best for them? My inlaws our young so if we go to the pool for a day they will probably want to be by one of the pool bars, so which area is best for all of our needs? We will have our own car so buses won’t be an issue! Thanks in advance for the continued help.

[QUOTE=NokeyNose;891119]I want to hear more about the resort. I know you gave a stellar review, Wish but for some reason I am just so dissapointed that this is the only place I can stay for our December trip (I booked 11 months out, and at 7 nothing was left). This is our home resort and we are definately glad to be going but we are bringing our brother and sister in law and we really want them to be wowed so they will consider buying in, but we don’t think SSR will do it! I have tried weekly (they must hate me over at MS) to see if anything else is available, I am also on waitlists, but nothing yet and we leave in 51 days!

Do different areas of SSR have nicer rooms, we have two DD’s (5 & 4) which pools are best for them? My inlaws our young so if we go to the pool for a day they will probably want to be by one of the pool bars, so which area is best for all of our needs? We will have our own car so buses won’t be an issue! Thanks in advance for the continued help.[/QUOTE]

Great questions. I feel the same way. We’re bringing friends and I wanted the WOW fractor too but our home resort BCV is all booked up. We’re on waiting lists as well. I’ve called member services and have made a pain out of myself as well. I’m really nervous too that my waitlist won’t come through and we leave in 53 days!! Please keep in touch and let me know how you make out and I will do the same. Good Luck!!

To me, SSR is my least favorite DVC resort.

SSR has an elegant decor and is really nice, but to my DW and I it just seems like a big upscale apartment/condo complex that is lacking something we can’t quite define.

When I bring guests to WDW and want to “wow” them, I primarily bring them to AKV or VWL for the fantastic theming. Or BCV/BWV for the great location surrounding Crescent Lake right next to Epcot.

Booking has been tight this year in large part to incentives which gave developer points to use. And there were a lot of AKV members that had very limited availability while construction continued.

Due to the number of units available, there will be more units available at SSR.

EVERY DVC location is different and has somethings that are better/worse than other locations.

It is a condo (they all are) but it’s a WDW condo!

My family and I love SSR!!! We’ll be there 9 days starting Oct. 22.

We ate there recently – Artist Palette is maybe the name, I can’t remember. Anyway, I thought it was thebest food we had gotten from a CS place in all of WDW. Guys were making delicious food, and the room was fun.

I think the relaxed and tranquil setting is a nice balance to the busy day.The pool area and hot tub/sauna are great. I think you will be surprised once you are there.

Yes! The pool is great!

We’ve only stayed as DVC members at SSR, but we liked the resort. The room was terrific. It is very tranquil.

I definately will keep you posted! Maybe we will cross paths we are there around the same time!

As for my thoughts on SSR… I must preface by saying that I don’t want to offend anyone, so please, no-one take this personnally! I guess my impression of SSR is that it is more of the resort geared for the older generation. I have to agree with DVC Mike when he says it lacks the WOW factor! Granted I get the concept they were going for, they certainly achieved it, but I don’t think it is very appealing to the majority. Look how many threads there are on what people actually think of this resort. I haven’t done the research but I am willing to bet there aren’t as many apprehensive people when it comes to the other DVC’s!

My DH and I don’t really mind that we are staying here, we will be going back plenty of times, and plan to try out every resort. I don’t know, even as I write this I know I am being so superficial, and I so hate that, but like I said, I want my brother and sister in law (28 year olds) to be so excited and wowed that they decide that they want to buy in and that this will be perfect for them and their soon to be expanding family!

DH and I talk about Disney ALL OF THE TIME, I am sure we are nausiating, I just want them to see the possibility of many more wonderful DVC vacations! My Brother in law has only been to Disney once (back in college with my sister-in-law, so they were unable to really experience it, due to their spring break budget), so we have an opportunity to take him on a trip here and show him what he could do every year, if they wish!

Do you guys know what I am trying to say? I am sorry, I don’t think I am expressing myself so well!

Anyways, if someone can address the questions I asked earlier with regard to the pools and which area is best for us to request with children I would be extreamly grateful!

[QUOTE=NokeyNose;891298]I definately will keep you posted! Maybe we will cross paths we are there around the same time!

As for my thoughts on SSR… I must preface by saying that I don’t want to offend anyone, so please, no-one take this personnally! I guess my impression of SSR is that it is more of the resort geared for the older generation. I have to agree with DVC Mike when he says it lacks the WOW factor! Granted I get the concept they were going for, they certainly achieved it, but I don’t think it is very appealing to the majority. Look how many threads there are on what people actually think of this resort. I haven’t done the research but I am willing to bet there aren’t as many apprehensive people when it comes to the other DVC’s!

My DH and I don’t really mind that we are staying here, we will be going back plenty of times, and plan to try out every resort. I don’t know, even as I write this I know I am being so superficial, and I so hate that, but like I said, I want my brother and sister in law (28 year olds) to be so excited and wowed that they decide that they want to buy in and that this will be perfect for them and their soon to be expanding family!

DH and I talk about Disney ALL OF THE TIME, I am sure we are nausiating, I just want them to see the possibility of many more wonderful DVC vacations! My Brother in law has only been to Disney once (back in college with my sister-in-law, so they were unable to really experience it, due to their spring break budget), so we have an opportunity to take him on a trip here and show him what he could do every year, if they wish!

Do you guys know what I am trying to say? I am sorry, I don’t think I am expressing myself so well!

Anyways, if someone can address the questions I asked earlier with regard to the pools and which area is best for us to request with children I would be extreamly grateful![/QUOTE]
When wew went to disney back in September and stayed at OKW,we took the boat over to SSR and just loved it. As I walked around on the property I was so happy to be there because I felt it was so different from OKW. It was much cleaner and the lanscaping was much nicer and better maintained in my opinion. I really like ,I mean loved the pool much better than OKW. The place in general seems to be an upgrade and I can’t wait to go in Nov. Don’t be worried about wowing your family. It is very nice. But, I understand what you are saying about wanting to WOW them. It is a really pretty and cleand place. I also like the food court. We ate there and it was really good. I do not think you will be dissappointed.

We love it. I can compare it to the Beach Club an the Boardwalk villas. Of the three, SSR is our favorite.
For background info:We are a family of 7 - DW & I; the mini-mice 22; 20; 19; 17 & 17.
We all dig SSR the best. Clean quite, very very comfortable, good food court, close to DtD.

[QUOTE=NokeyNose;891298]I definately will keep you posted! Maybe we will cross paths we are there around the same time!

Anyways, if someone can address the questions I asked earlier with regard to the pools and which area is best for us to request with children I would be extreamly grateful![/QUOTE]

Shannon, I’m getting the feeling like we’ll be plesantly surprised by the resort and we’ll have an awesome time. My husband tells me all the time if he had to pitch a tent in the parking lot he would feel blessed because he’s in Disney. I need to try and adopt his attitude. To try and create some kind of “WOW” factor for our friends, we plan to take them “hotel hopping” our first night. We’ll tour all of the bigger hotels to take in the decorations and surrroundings. I can’t wait to share my expieriences with you! 52 days and counting!!:happy:

How sweet! Thanks for kicking me back into reality! I guess I am just stressing because I have been the one planning this whole trip without input from the others and I just want to make sure all have a blast, but ya know what, your DH is right! We are at Disney, how can we not! Ok, back to planning and wishing the days would pass quicker!!!

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;891325]We love it. I can compare it to the Beach Club an the Boardwalk villas. Of the three, SSR is our favorite.
For background info:We are a family of 7 - DW & I; the mini-mice 22; 20; 19; 17 & 17.
We all dig SSR the best. Clean quite, very very comfortable, good food court, close to DtD.[/QUOTE]

That makes me feel good! your kids are in thier 20’s and they enjoy it! Starting to sweat less!